Advice Needed, Grey Can't Pee

Guest Alichou

Guest Alichou

My grey is 14 and lately has had a lot of hind end problems. He has had a bum left hind leg for a long time which has progressively gotten worse. He hurt his leg again this weekend and the vet had given him tramadol every six hours and increased his gabapentin to 200mg twice a day. After noticing the pain subsiding and with approval from my vet i took him off the tramadol as he was too heavily sedated and had an uncontrollable bladder. Ive noticed since talking to my vet he has been eating normally and drinking a lot but not peeing or pooping (he has mild kidney disease which im wondering if the two days of tramadol doses progressed to a more severe stage). He had a very large pee at 6 this morning (which was darker in color) but since then has not peed again. It is now 1130pm and im worried since he hasnt peed again. He is not paralyzed in the back end and can still move around short distances. Any advice on what this could be? I'm waiting for my vet to call me back and will be having her come by the house to assess him again and perhaps see if a catheder would help. In the meantime any advice and/or thougths are appreciated.

If he had a really big pee at six it has only been five and a half hours which is not that long considering many dogs will wait longer than that just overnight. Unless he look uncomfortable I would wait a bit longer. Also I have found that they can sometimes need the stimulation from moving around to get them to want to pee and if he isn't able to move around that much maybe he's not getting that. I know it's a terrible worry when they get really old. Hopefully some others will be along soon to chip in some advice.

Eta, disregard what I just said, it's early here and i misread you post. I would check with you vet. I could try to explain how to manually empty the bladder, but I am sure your vet could do it better. Sorry.

Edited by scullysmum

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Peeing very dark urine usually means that it's highly concentrated and is usually due to dehydration and if he's dehydrated and peed a huge pee at 6am, he won't need to pee at 11.30am.

Tramadol makes you very dry (I get through two glasses of water a night when I'm taking it) so it's possible that he's not drinking enough now he's off it and therefore he is a bit dehydrated. Also, if he has a bum leg, he may be unwilling to get up to drink - or to pee, for that matter - until he has to.

However, very dark urine can be due to blood or muscle metabolites etc in the urine, so since he's old and has some existing conditions (including kidney disease) I'd talk to the vet as soon as you can and get some advice.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Alichou

we went to the vet last night as it was over 15 hours and still no peeing. where his hind end is in bad shape and at this time we are keeping him comfortable on meds i find he drinks a ton but doesnt move around a lot. half walking him last night and using the sling for stability on his weak legs i noticed the long way out to the car moved him around enough that he had a huge pee and poop. I still brought him to vet for an assessment but it was just what we originally thought and she just affirmed we were doing everything right by keeping him comfy. He peed and pooped at 2am and its now 12pm so im hoping he goes again soon. will walk him around the house to get him moving and hopefully that will make him pee. I realize its probably time to let go and im just waiting to see how he does on the pain meds over the next few days. He was doing really well up until wednesday when he slipped a bit on his pillow getting onto his bed. I think im still in shock and just preparing myself for the next step. its so very difficult to accept. Thank you for your advice and thoughts, it's much appreciated.

Just wanted to send a hug. I'm sorry your boy isn't well. He is lucky to have you watching out for him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Alichou

thank you all. he seems comfortable, eats and drinks, just hasnt peed in 13 hours. I wonder if there are ways to manually empty the bladder. he gets up, walks around but just doesnt pee.

There is a way to do it if necessary -- I think there are some instructions/videos on youtube re "expressing" a dog's bladder. But if he is comfortable and he has gone today, it seems he can go when he feels the urge?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Alichou

well he drinks a lot and then after 15 hours of not peeing gets aggitated and pants and gets up like he has to go but cant. i did notice he goes after a lot of movement or walking as i experienced this last night when rushing to vet i was helping him walk out the apartment to the car and after he walked long enough he had a very long pee. problem is he cant walk very long at all which results in the inability for him to pee on his own (at least it seems that way). he is resting comfortably right now but hasnt peed in 15 hours so im a little worried. im going to chk youtube videos to see if i can attempt to empty it on my own.

Here is one that a GT friend used recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAaLdeJCIkw&feature=youtu.be

Guest Alichou

He walked out to the patio and peed on his own shortly after i watched the video. I think he holds it for so long bc its hard for him to stand in the position to pee. His legs get really weak when he stands in the pee position for too long.

Hope that means he is feeling a little better.

I hope he continues to improve and has lots more quality time with you. Growing old isn't for cowards!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

thanks so much. he is peeing regularly again.

Great news!

I understand about the wobbly legs thing. I was wondering if any of the braces you can buy might help him when he's feeling weak? OrthoVet do a variety including hock supports - it might make a difference for the times he's particularly bad.

I've resorted to supporting Sid myself - by hand - when he's had an injury (he's a tripod) but many dogs won't allow this and simply wouldn't 'perform' anyway. Another thought is that if you get a rear end walking harness, like this one, maybe he'd manage to pee/poop on his own if he hasn't had to also get himself out their under his own steam?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Please be brave, for his sake.

Ask yourself if this is REALLY how he wants to live out his last few days/weeks.

Or are you putting him through this for yourself?

I KNOW it's hard. I've been there. I will be there soon again. But we have to have the courage to do what is in the dog's best interest, at the end.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Alichou

Ive tried rear support harnesses from handicapped pets however Dante wouldnt support it when I put on him. I also have a sling from handicappedpets.com which I use regularly around his mid section. He had a bad episode this morning getting up and he couldn't squat to pee. It resulted in him being in tremendous pain until the gabapentin and tramadol kicked in. The vet is coming over at 5 to assess him and I understand I have to be brave and do what's best for him. It's so very difficult to see him eat a good meal, have a full mind and yet cannot walk due to his hind end. I'm staying by his side all day and I pray the outcome will be positive however I know that this evening I will most likely have to let him go peacefully. All your advice, thoughts and prayers are appreciated and I really feel the love from you all. Please keep us in your thougtgs today.

Lots of hugs for you both.

You and Dante are in my thoughts. I am sorry. I had a Dante, too. Best.dog.ever, as I am sure yours is for you. Wishing you peace and comfort.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow