Greyhound Now Sleeping In Closet

Guest georgethegreyt

Guest georgethegreyt

I am a new greyhound owner. I adopted George a little less than 2 months ago. He has always slept on his bed which is on the floor next to my bed. He is very storm phobic so the few times there have been storms he has slept in the closet...which is expected. However, the past few nights he has started sleeping in the closet despite the weather being just fine. I am worried he is sick, hurting, or depressed. Last night I woke up at 2am to find Georgie not on his bed, but once again in the closet on the hard floor. I couldn't get him to come back to his bed so I gave up and moved his bed into the closet so that he could be more comfortable. I really hope I am just being crazy and maybe my boy is a quirky sleeper, but I just feel like something isn't right. I would very much appreciate tips/advice. Thank you so much! ~ Price R.

It may be that he is still a little spooked from the storms you had and finds comfort in the closet. I think you did the right thing by putting Georges bed in there. Can you have another bed next to your bed to give him an option?

Charlie has been with me for a little more than two yrs . On rare occasions he will still run downstairs and lay at the bottom for no apparent reason. He seems to have been startled by something, maybe a dream. He comes upstairs after I call him, sometimes I have to get him, and cuddles and is fine.

Give it some time, 2 months isn't a long time and he may just be extra sensitive like my boy.

Congrats btw, Greys are wonderful dogs!

Guest RICHandJUDE

My 12 year old greyhound has a sleeping quirk brought on by thunderstorms (or heavy rains or winds) too. When it storms, she pants then lays down next to the refrigerator. The sound of the motor must help sooth her. The last few times, instead of laying next to the frig, she lays between the couch and the wall. Now, even when it doesn't storm, I find her behind the couch about 30% of the time. I wouldn't worry about it. My other greyhound, when scared by the weather, lays in the bathroom next to the toliet. My third dog, a Beagle mix, isn't scared of anything. She would sit outside in the storm if I would allow her.

Guest georgethegreyt

Thank you everyone for your replies. George has a crate but HATES it...its only use is to serve as a barrier to keep George out of the kitchen when I am not home. I should also add that we haven't had a storm in about 2 weeks so I dont think his behavior is due to remnants of the pressure change.

Can you move the crate to the bedroom and see what he does? If it's a wire crate, throw a blanket over it to make it more like a den. The fact that he wants to be in a smaller place (the closet) makes me think that he will like the crate for sleeping in at night (with the door open). When I first got my grey, I had just a dog bed on the side of the bed. He was so unhappy and restless. I put his crate next to the bed and he was in heaven. If you don't mind him sleeping in the closet, I say let him go for it. Put a bed in there and one by your bed and let him choose. Good luck.

Edited by mrs

He has found his safe place. John E used to sleep in the closet whenever we were not home. I found out when I realized I had dog hairs all over my clothing.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

We keep a dog bed in our guest bathroom as a refuge from storms. Sometimes our dogs just like sleeping in there. Now that the days are longer and warmer, I'm guessing they just like that it is darker and cooler in there.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest PiagetsMom

I assume since he's fairly new to you that he's had a recent vet check, but if you're really worried about it being something physically wrong, maybe a vet visit would give you some peace of mind?

I don't know if otherwise it would actually be something to worry about, unless you'd just rather he not sleep there. Can you close your closet door and see if he would be content to sleep in your room? If he's not, as it's been suggested, maybe it's just his safe place, where he feels most comfortable and he just prefers to sleep there.

I think he's found a place that he really likes. Period. It was a haven during the storm, but while in there, he liked it! Putting his bed in there was nice. He's now probably more comfortable. Maybe you could get another bed and leave it in your bedroom where he slept previously. Then he'll have a choice.

My girl changes her sleeping habits all the time. She went for weeks not coming up to the bedroom level (I have a split level with 3 floors) at night. She'd sleep in the living room. Now she can't bear to be in the living room and struggles to beat me up the stairs when I go to bed. Sometimes she sleeps on one of her three beds. Sometimes she sleeps on the carpet.

I like to tell new Greyhound parents: Don't over think and relax. Your George has never lived in your house before. He's finding out all the neat things about it and will continue to do so for a very long time.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest georgethegreyt

George has definitely been to the vet more than a few times! I am that crazy mom has a panic attack over every cough, sneeze, noise, etc. (side note: really wish the adoption shelter had warned me about reverse sneezing!) The vet, God bless her, thinks I am nuts! George is also a senior so I feel like that adds to my worry. I will try the crate next to the bed (w/ door open) idea along with keeping one of his beds in the closet. Yall are all saints! I am so grateful for this community!

Guest herbsofmine

My friend had a big walk-in closet and ALL the greyhounds (her two and my one) would sleep in there. The same greyhound used to sleep in the bathroom at my house when it stormed. There were no windows in there, and I think she felt safe.

I would second the idea that your closet might just be darker and cooler. Since the weather is heating up in VA, both of my hounds have shifted from their fleecy dog beds to the cool hardwood of my guest bedroom. I always think it looks terribly uncomfortable with all their pointy bones, but they both seem as happy as clams.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

We have a dog bed in our walk in closet...every once in awhile Ben or Brooke prefer to sleep in there. I have no idea why, but as long as they're in there, they might as well be comfortable.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Also, even if you you only have clean clothes in your closet, to George it probably still smells like you and he may find that comforting.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest MnMDogs

We've had Greg for 3 years now, and the closet is his preferred sleep space. He's a scared little guy, and it's his safe spot (lovely having a white dog spend a lot of time among our mostly dark clothes). To get to our closet he has to go through our bathroom, one night we forget he was in the closet and heard a weird lapping sound.

He was drinking from the toilet. My husband and I started cracking up and referred to that space as Greggy's condo or bachelor pad.

If you've determined George has no health issues, I would just keep a bed in there and allow it to be his safe spot :)

I've had several dogs prefer closets. I'd just clear out 1/2 and put a do bed under that side or hang the shortest clothes there. One of the split closets in my bedroom is still referred to as "Bella's closet" as that was her favorite place to sleep.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Three of my five like to sleep in closets. I have dog beds in two closets. Most nights there is at least one dog in a closet. Two of the closet sleepers are terrified of storms, but if I'm in bed they usually stand beside my bed with their heads under the covers with me. These two never sleep on my bed.

My boy is very afraid of thunder and fireworks. He tried to jump through our picture window once when we first had him. He found a safe haven in the basement bathroom at our last house. I now give him Quiet Moments and let him hide in my closet here in the new house. I always know when a bad storm is coming, just from Kyle's actions. It may not even be half way across the lake yet, but he knows it is coming. If storms are predicted when I will be away, I give him his "medicine " and just leave the closet door open for him. It doesn't hurt anything and helps to calm him.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guest johnmclaren

It seems that your pet finds it more comfortable to sleep in a confined area. It might be possible that when your pet get to sleep in the closet, he may have found it better. But you should also consult a vet to get a better advice.

Guest AimeeBee

If the vet has cleared him from any physical issues, then let him sleep wherever he's comfortable. I do agree that he probably feels safe in there and the smell of you/your clothes is probably making him feel secure as well.