Adding Two Broodies?

Guest undergreysspell

Guest undergreysspell

I recently lost my 15.5 yr old mixed breed and currently now only have an 8 yr old female grey. She is very laid back and gets along with all other dogs. We are adding a Brood who is 6.5 and also very sweet as soon as she gets spayed. Meanwhile I have found another 8 yr old retired brood whom I am told is also very sweet, gets along great with others, that I would also love to have. Am I nuts to consider having 3 females and adding two at once? I have 5 fenced acres, plenty of room, and am home all the time.

I say go for it, especially if you feel the owners know the dogs well. I've met brood moms who are as sweet as pie and very good with other dogs and some who are total bitches. :P I wouldn't want to take 2 of the latter on at once, but the former, sure. It really all comes down to the individual dogs and whether you're up for dealing with potential behavioral issues from 2 dogs at once. If there's an option to stagger the adoptions a bit, perhaps you could do that to make it a little easier on yourself. Adopt one and give yourself a few weeks to make sure things are going well, then bring the other one home? That's probably a slightly safer option.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm so sorry for your loss. The picture of your two dogs standing together is one of my all time favourite GT photos.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I took in two nine year old broods after their spays last year. My other three at the time were males. Everyone got along fine. Two of my males (13 years old) died the next month. The following month I took in a male and female whose owner had died. The females all get along. My original male is sometimes grumpy with the male, but the girls are no problem. I would get them together, rather than a few weeks apart. Why disrupt the pack dynamics twice?

Of course, I am known as the crazy animal lady at work! Good luck!

Guest undergreysspell

I'm so sorry for your loss. The picture of your two dogs standing together is one of my all time favourite GT photos.

Thank you Robin, Rex was my heart dog and I miss him terribly.

Sounds like you have a great situation for adding 2 at once. I say go for it!

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest undergreysspell

After sleeping on it and talking it over with my husband I'm leaning toward adopting them both. They will be coming from two different places, so won't be on the same day, but within a week or two of each other. The 8yo already spayed will be part of the national Maddie's adoptathon and I can get her for free if I wait a couple of weeks. They'll hold her for me until then. I guess my house will be known as the "old ladies home".

Thank you for taking in these two "mature" gals. Please keep us posted!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Doggone

Autumn is my first grey, and my first broodie. I think you're greyt to take in these mamas, and if they're anything like Autumn, you'll have it easy-peasy :).

Before I got her, I read (on here) that broodies can spoil you for anything else. Whoever wrote that is right! I'm spoiled rotten :D

I'd totally go for it :) Broodies are so much fun!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I've got 2 broodies at my house now, plus a 13.5 yr old girl and a 6 yr old boy. I got Voo Doo (age 6) in January and brought Barb (age 9) home as a "foster" in March. They get along fine and they're also fine with my older girl and my boy. They were both from the same farm.

Before that I had two broodies - mother and daughter, along with the girl who's now 13.5 and a different boy. They all got along fine as well.

Broodies are my favorites :)

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

After sleeping on it and talking it over with my husband I'm leaning toward adopting them both. They will be coming from two different places, so won't be on the same day, but within a week or two of each other. The 8yo already spayed will be part of the national Maddie's adoptathon and I can get her for free if I wait a couple of weeks. They'll hold her for me until then. I guess my house will be known as the "old ladies home".

After sleeping on it and talking it over with my husband I'm leaning toward adopting them both. They will be coming from two different places, so won't be on the same day, but within a week or two of each other. The 8yo already spayed will be part of the national Maddie's adoptathon and I can get her for free if I wait a couple of weeks. They'll hold her for me until then. I guess my house will be known as the "old ladies home".Congrats! Good for you! Why not? We never know what we're getting into with a new dog - so what the heck? I'd do it. But - I'm also the person who had fostered only twice (wet behind the ears) - that went to pick up a foster - and ended up bringing home 2 - straight off the track - 3 year old fosters (females). That was exciting for a while! It worked out just fine. To me - when you're in "new dog" mode - you're hyper vigilant. 2 aren't that much harder than 1 newbie.