Rabies Vaccination

Guest peacehound

Guest peacehound

My senior, 12 year old female, goes for her six month checkup tomorrow. She gets bloodwork and an overall check because of long term use of Proin and Tramadol. She will also get an injection of Adequan. My question is, she is due for the Rabies vaccine. Do I really need to do this? Peace stays on a leash at all times, even when she goes out in the fenced yard because she has some old injuries that really bother her. Right now her quality of life is still good but she has really slowed down the last couple months. I don't want to give her any injection she really doesn't need. Does anyone skip this?

thanks

Much depends on your local laws. In my county, all dogs must be licensed. To get a dog license, I have to have proof of a current rabies vaccination (we get the three year ones).

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

I don't know much about rabies (Australia is currently rabies free, and long may that continue) but I would be asking how likely it is that Peace would come into contact with a rabid animal (squirrel, raccoon, cat, whatever) and, if she were to get bitten, would you euthanase straight away or would you be working to save her? Because I would imagine that a death from rabies would be horrific but, if unlikely, and if you don't need to get the injection, maybe not?

Does any of that make sense? I've just been teaching and my brain feels like it's melting out my ears.

If you ever need to board Peace--maybe in an emergency situation--she'll probably be required to have the vaccination or titer paperwork from the vet. (Most boarding places do not accept titers, but you may be able to board her with a friend or with her own vet.)

I wouldn't get the rabies vaccination the same day as the Adequan injection. I like to spread out that sort of thing (a couple of weeks between) so that if there's a problem, I can identify the likely culprit.

I'd ask your vet for a recommendation for Peace, and ask if the vet knows the consequences for you and Peace if you get caught without the vaccination (if it's just a fine and a quarantine in your home, it might be worth the risk). I've always figured animal control was a bigger danger than rabies itself, but just today, this turned up on my Facebook wall: http://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/local/10382026-113/rabies-cchhs-litter-disease

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

NO she doesn't need it. It also resulted in the early death of one of my greyhounds-my dear Minny. He nearly died right after injection but they saved him only for it to come back and take him later-seizures etc. PREVIOUSLY HE HAD NO HEALTH PROBLEMS AT ALL AND WAS A HEALTHY DOG-BEFORE THE RABIES SHOT. He was 9 yoa and had received them before. There is MUCH info-reliable by PhD vet experts-available about this. Not only does a senior not need any more rabies shots but they don't need any of the others either. The duration of immunity has been shown to remain effective. They are currently doing more studies that are hoped will be more readily accepted/published so we can end the tragedy's that soemtimes result from the over vaccination going on.

You have posted a highly inflammatory subject which inflammes a lot of people who get fighting mad over their opinions. Who cares?

Just look at the LEGITIMATE studies that have been done by LEGITIMATE sources and make YOUR OWN DECISION.

I did. I have my own experience as well. As a result I try to avoid any of the vaccinations and rely on titer tests etc.for my dogs except for those that are required to have them for competition.

Poodle quit getting everything but rabies at 10. I asked my vet about it and he said he does that with his personal dogs. That is one reason he goes to a retired groomer who does clients in her home. She doesn't do the greatest job but it's acceptable. I don't know what we'll do if he's still around at 16 but I guess my vet has a plan or he wouldn't have said he wasn't giving him any more. Having worked at a well respected day care boarding kennel no way would I board a 12 year old greyhound even in an emergency. In the rare event that I have to leave town for a day or two I have a vet tech come in twice a day and give him his insulin and my next door neighbors come over 2 or 3 times. Yes, they are alone but never more than 6 hours at a time and the NSA has nothing on my neighbors.

A few years ago someone brought some puppies in and dropped them off at an adoption event. Turned out they had rabies. Both Lubbock and a Dallas suburb had puppies sold out of pickups in parking lots. There is a big difference in puppies and dogs in the double digits.

As racindog said do some research then be informed to discuss it with your vet. There are lots of studies out there. Dr. Bob Rogers in Spring, TX has been on a rant on overvaccinaton for about 15 years.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Some states allow titres. Texas is not one of them :( Is the last rabies she got 3 yr? Lots of times I "forget" to give them their rabies....I figure if we get caught the worse that can happen is that they will have to get it.

One of my alternative vets recommends giving trameel a few days before and a few days after which I now do. Ringo is due and I'm antsy about giving him the rabies because several galgos have had problems. I will definetely give him trameel.

Also, I never give vaccinations all at once and never when they are going under anesthetic.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Molly is 13 and is not getting any shots. She doesn't go anywhere and only goes out front on a leash to potty. I think the chances of her biting someone at this point are slim since she barely gets off the sofa. She had 3 yr rabies when she was 10 and her last DHLPP.

Wingnut and Voo Doo get DHLPP every 3 years and a 3 yr rabies. Once they hit 10 I stop DHLPP all together and do a 3 yr rabies and that is their last one.

My vet would like me to still do the DHLPP every year, but they're my dogs and it's my decision so he doesn't give me too much trouble about it.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I personally would not bother with a 12 year old unless you plan to cross the US/Canada border or need to board your senior girl. We stopped giving our angel Shelby shots at 11.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Please go to youtube and query Dr. Karen Becker, scroll down to the video titled "Dr. Karen Becker and Dr. Ronald Schultz on Pet Vaccines". There is much to hear and digest, but pay attention to what Dr. Schultz says that he does with his own pets.

Dr. Schultz is the father of animal immunity. The 5 year mark in the Rabies Challenge has come and gone and will hopefully reach the 7 year mark, proving that rabies immunity lasts at least 7 years. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

After digesting all of what Dr. Schultz has to say, have a conversation with your Vet. (Your Vet knows all about Dr. Schultz.) You can also ask your Vet about articles that were published in JAVMA and other publications regarding immunity and the consequences of vaccinating too frequently.

JAVMA, Jan 1, 2004 Duration of serologic response to five viral antigens in dogs. "In most dogs [>98%], vaccination induced a response that lasted up to and beyond 48 months for all five antigens." (CDV, CAV-1, CAV-2, CPIV, CPV)

JAVMA, June 1, 2001: AVMA council on Biologic and Therapeutic Agents two year study: "The one year revaccination frequency recommendation is based on historic precedent and USDA regulation, not scientific data. "

J Vet Intern Med 10:290, 1996, "Vaccinated dogs two times more likely to develop IHA (Immune-mediated Hemolytic Anemia)."

See the trend?

I am not advocating no vaccines, however, as I have stated in other threads, I asked several Vets in my area (one a board certified internist) what their vaccine protocol was for their own pets and the consensus was core vaccines once and rabies as dictated by the county. Period. The internist had two house cats whom had never been vaccinated for anything! There must be a very good reason that Vets are not vaccinating their own animals despite what they preach to their clients.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest peacehound

Folks, thanks for all this useful information. Just got back from the vet, Peace did not get a rabies shot, her last one was three years ago but vet said it's not necessary with her lifestyle of never leaving the house without being on a leash. We don't board her, she goes everywhere with us and if an emergency she would stay with my family. My vet said she doesn't give dogs any vaccines after they turn 11 or 12. She only suggested we keep current with the annual fecal test for parasites since Peace does still walk twice a day on the leash.

I really like these vets, our last vet before Peace made me feel forced to vaccinate our old dog at 14 and seemed to want to do anything to raise the vet bill. These vets seem to just adore Peace and are very concerned about her comfort. Peace is very arthritic and has many old injuries, she is incontinent but boy she enjoys her food, walkie and ear rubs. I feel I will always be able to tell about her quality of life I feel blessed that right now the pain meds and injections help her stay happy and comfortable.

Thanks again

Please go to youtube and query Dr. Karen Becker, scroll down to the video titled "Dr. Karen Becker and Dr. Ronald Schultz on Pet Vaccines". There is much to hear and digest, but pay attention to what Dr. Schultz says that he does with his own pets.

Dr. Schultz is the father of animal immunity. The 5 year mark in the Rabies Challenge has come and gone and will hopefully reach the 7 year mark, proving that rabies immunity lasts at least 7 years. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

After digesting all of what Dr. Schultz has to say, have a conversation with your Vet. (Your Vet knows all about Dr. Schultz.) You can also ask your Vet about articles that were published in JAVMA and other publications regarding immunity and the consequences of vaccinating too frequently.

JAVMA, Jan 1, 2004 Duration of serologic response to five viral antigens in dogs. "In most dogs [>98%], vaccination induced a response that lasted up to and beyond 48 months for all five antigens." (CDV, CAV-1, CAV-2, CPIV, CPV)

JAVMA, June 1, 2001: AVMA council on Biologic and Therapeutic Agents two year study: "The one year revaccination frequency recommendation is based on historic precedent and USDA regulation, not scientific data. "

J Vet Intern Med 10:290, 1996, "Vaccinated dogs two times more likely to develop IHA (Immune-mediated Hemolytic Anemia)."

See the trend?

I am not advocating no vaccines, however, as I have stated in other threads, I asked several Vets in my area (one a board certified internist) what their vaccine protocol was for their own pets and the consensus was core vaccines once and rabies as dictated by the county. Period. The internist had two house cats whom had never been vaccinated for anything! There must be a very good reason that Vets are not vaccinating their own animals despite what they preach to their clients.

:nod

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown