Leg Injury

Hi, I'm writing out of desperation.....

We've got a 10 year old greyhound who's been in great shape up until the last 6 weeks when she suddenly developed a limp in her front right leg. We took her to the vets who said 'arthritis' without any diagnostic tests and put her on anti inflammatories. After 10 days absolutely no improvement so she had an x-ray (dental work done at same time - some teeth removed) and said that although she did have arthritis this was fairly minor. The vet prescribed steroids at this point and said this would also help to improve her appetite.

She's in a lot of pain and has lost a lot of weight, we're having to help her get up to go outside at the moment and this is very distressing (for all of us).

We've had a lot of dogs (other breeds) who've got arthritis in their later years but this has been a gradual process, not like this which seems to have come on overnight.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or sharing of any experiences others have had as we're at a loss and hate to see her in pain.

Matt

How long ago did she have the xray? I would recommend another to rule out osteosarcoma. My hound Treasure had similar symptoms as yours. Nothing showed up on the first set of X-rays, and we did a second set a month later after the symptoms didn't go away. Those confirmed osteo.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Matt, I would suggest a second opinion ASAP. Also I would get the films off to Dr Coutu and/or have another set done and make sure to get as much of the shoulder area as possible.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest grey_dreams

Another vote for sending the X-rays to Dr. Couto. He has the necessary expertise to read the X-rays. You can just email them to his email address. Also, as Robin suggested, you might have to take new X-rays after some weeks. If you do go that route, send the old and the new ones to Dr. Couto. Sending prayers for your girl.

Ugh-sorry to hear this. I would repeat the rads (you should get 2 different views) and consider stopping the steroids (I assume it's pred)--you may need to use a NSAID in the near future and there is a washout period between the use of the two. Sorry to say this does not sound like arthritis. Absolutely consult with Dr Couto.

:hope Sending good thoughts for your girl.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks so much for all your responses, much appreciated at this horrible time. The vet dealing with her (Cait) is very nice and has some experience of osteosarcoma in greyhounds and in her mind this seems to have been ruled out but we will request more. I have e-mailed Dr Couto so thanks for that suggestion.

It feels like time isn't on our side as Cait's pain seems to be getting worse and her appetite and mobility are decreasing. It's so sad and I can't believe this has happened so suddenly and I didn't realise that oseo was so prevalent in greyhounds. We originally thought it could be a pulled muscle or something along those lines as she has recently managed to squeeze past a child gate on our stairs.

I agree with you that arthritis seems unlikely given the sudden onset. I would have thought injury (pulled muscle or otherwise) as a likely cause, but since this has been going on for weeks without improvement and with very limited activity, at this point I would probably go back for follow-up x-rays.

I (and I know everyone else here) hope this doesn't turn out to be what we are fearing.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Hi again everyone.

Cait has been back to the original vet and sent for a second opinion to a different practice. Sadly they have found a tumour around her neck area and there is nothing that can be done. The tumour became more apparent as she has lost weight. Ironically she's had a good couple of days, been a bit more mobile and been eating a more and looked a lot more like herself. She has been prescribed painkillers and we will give her lots of love until the time comes.

Thanks so much everyone for your support and good wishes - I was trying to post a picture but this wasn't as straightforward as I thought.

M

I am so sorry to hear that. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry you lost Cait. I have added Cait's name to the Bridge Angels list. :grouphug

tiny hada siggy.png

I am so sad and sorry to read this. Take comfort in knowing that your sweet girl is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind. G-d bless.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Matt,

I am so sorry for your loss. Remember the good times with your girl. Greyhounds are a breed like none other. May your grief be short lived.

I am so very sorry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--