Help! I'm A Worried Mess...

Guest Houston1219

Guest Houston1219

We came home to the worst liquid diarrhea we have ever seen, all over the kitchen floor and a pile of puke (also liquid, but this is a stress response for him... If he pees while we are away, he will occasionally throw up clear stuff) He seems tired and stressed (any time he has an accident he is stressed, he takes guilty look to a whole new level). He has not eaten anything but normal ration of normal dog food (half way through this bag of his usual kind). What strikes me as really odd is that on op of the diarrhea he is burping!

He is fine now, no vomiting other than the initial one we came home to, and he is responsive and seems fine but tired. I almost took him to the emergency vet, but figured they would laugh us out like the nervous first-time parents we are with a huge bill.

I work in a pharmacy and deal with a lot of vet recommendations and fill lots of pet prescriptions, so immediately thought pepto and pepcid (famotidine) I gave a dose of each about 20 mins ago but now I'm just a nervous wreck playing wait and see. Has anybody ever had a bout like this? This is the first time we have dealt with this.

Encouraging words/advice desperately appreciated!

PS He has had every blood work test known to man plus recent urinalysis and fecal exam and is up to date on shots. He's a healthy guy!!!

Edited by Houston1219

What has he eaten lately, could he have gotten into anything? does he hang out with other dogs?
I (thankfully) haven't dealt with any major diarrhea + vomiting episodes before, so if I encountered one, I'd probably head to the e-vet for peace of mind. :\

Don't know if that helps. Beaming good thoughts!!!

Guest Houston1219

He has had a (sort of) new variety of treat (Happy Howies, local Detroit brand, just bought beef vs. the usual lamb or turkey) but other than this nothing but normal rations of normal kibble. He lives as a happy only dog in a condo, so no contact with other dogs aside form arranged play dates (none in the past week)

My rule is generally that if the dog continues to vomit without me feeding, we got to the vet. Otherwise, if diarrhea doesn't start to resolve within about 24 hrs with fasting followed by bland diet, we go in. Or if there are signs of dehydration, we go in. So if he seems to have gotten the worst of it out, I would probably just continue to monitor. However, if you have concerns that he got into something dangerous, I'd take him to the ER.

I wouldn't personally give meds not knowing what's going on btw, but that's just me. I prefer to let things work themselves out if it's just a bug or something they ate unless things are getting prolonged.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Houston1219

Maybe I was quick to jump to meds, but I guess my pharmacy background gets the best of me in these situations. Also, I figured that if it were me having massive diarrhea and puked once already, i would reach for the pepto! I know it doesn't solve the problem itself, but makes the symptoms a bit more easy to ride out. Your time tables make perfect sense and are quite the words of wisdom from a vet such as yourself. I have already written them down!

Thank you

I'm not a vet! Take my advice with a grain of salt. ;) That's just what I'm comfortable with in general. Of course I don't always follow that exact set of rules, but its my general guideline. Keep us posted!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Houston1219

I'm not a vet! Take my advice with a grain of salt. ;) That's just what I'm comfortable with in general. Of course I don't always follow that exact set of rules, but its my general guideline. Keep us posted!

I really should have specified, I meant "vet" as in in "veteran" LOL it's hard to not have your own set of guidelines, but i guess everyone had their first at one point... My mind is exhausted but i can feel an all-nigher coming on watching my guy. :coffee I have also come to the conclusion that if i ever have children, i will likely die of a nervous breakdown before they reach preschool. :rofl

This happened a couple of months ago with Chase. Diarrhea everywhere. And barf. We came home and it looked like a crime scene. A really disgusting crime scene. We fed him boiled chicken breasts and white rice for several days. He's been fine ever since. I think he was probably sorry when the chicken and rice came to an end. Hope your boy feels better soon.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Scouts_mom

Is he dehydrated? If you lift a fold of skin, does it go quickly back into place or does it stay lifted? If it stays lifted he is dehydrated and I would go to the e-vet. If it goes back into place fairly quickly, I would take a wait and see approach, but not feed him for a while.

Hope he's doing better today...... It might have been the treats. When Hermon was fed some beef treats by some people who were assessing him for a Green Collar (I'll tell you later), he was explosive for about three days, producing more stuff than I ever thought possible, and certainly out of all proportion to the amount ingested.

Watch his hydration levels and good luck. I know it's easy to panic, but I think as you go along you end up with different levels of panic, from 'I'll just keep an eye out for that' (me, yesterday when Brandi ate a piece of string. It came out today with assistance) to 'Holy hell! Everyone inside! We're going to the evet with the emergency credit card!' (Me, when Paige and Brandi had a fight, with Paige coming off definitely second best).

The burbing is worrisome. Excess gas and bloat with torsion could be the cause and it is serious. The vomiting is also worrisome, the diarrhea, not so much. Dogs that have the gas/bloat will be stretching sometimes yawning and possibly burbing. My girl had symptoms like this and I headed to the ER.

just be aware - if you use pepto (and this goes for people & dogs, I think) and THEN you vomit, it'll turn your tongue black!! Something with the bismuth... happened to me & I went to the emergency room (had just gotten back from central America & was sure I had some horrible tropical disease!)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

My boys get loose stools when they are overly excited. Fortunately never in the house. It also tends to happen when they got into something when at a fun run or in a yard etc.

Clear vomiting, that's a tricky one. Ryder does that when he drinks too much LOL.

Burping...yikes.

I understand you wanting to give them meds right away, but sometimes that masks a problem that you need to find another resolution to. Pepto is pretty safe bet, but again it's a bandaid solution. Pepcid IMO is when you see more of a bile type yellow acid coming up as opposed to clear....but I think you are still sort of on the right track. It's tough to determine if his stomach is irritated or if he is simply stressed.

Re: his reaction to knowing he's pooped and thrown up - when you find it, are you scolding? He might be feeding off you for being upset.

Omit the treats, fast him, and then do a bland diet and start working up to his regular feeding and see what that does for the stomach situ.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Fast for at least two meal times, then, if he has stopped the diarrhea and vomiting, resume feeding with a bland diet - over cooked rice or pasta along with an easy to digest protein source like boiled chicken breast or tilapia fish. Just a bit to start with - about a 1/4 of his normal meal size. If he keeps that down with no diarrhea for a couple hours, then feed that much again. Double that amount for the next meal.

If he's dehydrated (not drinking) or he begins to vomit/diarrhea again, it's time for the vet. Also time for the vet if he is trying to vomit and nothing is coming up.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Houston1219

Thank you everyone for all of your helpful advice! He is still a bit mopey but seems to be on the mend. No vomiting since the initial one but it did have a yellow hue so the pepcid seemed to help a lot. I never scold for accidents because he is trained and they are just that-accidents. He still has diarrhea but much less than before. We are fasting him and just now he finally showed some interest in food (came in the kitchen to watch me pack my lunch) so I snuck him a small piece of pita bread and he was satisfied. Boy friend is keeping watch over hum today so we will see!

He has had a (sort of) new variety of treat (Happy Howies, local Detroit brand, just bought beef vs. the usual lamb or turkey) but other than this nothing but normal rations of normal kibble. He lives as a happy only dog in a condo, so no contact with other dogs aside form arranged play dates (none in the past week)

Our situation wasn't so bad, but Henry got a new kind of treat and we quickly figured out that the output was not pleasant.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Houston1219

The worst is over! :yay Still a tiny bit of lingering diarrhea, but 80% improvement. We skipped two meals as suggested, and tonight dinner was a cup of white mushy rice and a couple tbsp pumpkin puree (which he loves) and he ate it up and drank a good amount of water. We will continue on the bland diet plan for a couple more days and see how things go. Everyone's advice was so helpful and comforting to know we have so much support! Houston is our first and only grey, and quite literally our only "child" and this was the first incident of any type we have had thus far so super scary.

You know he also might have gotten a stomach bug. The couple of times Beth had vomiting in particular, bad diarrhea, and seemed to feel crappy out of nowhere it was evidently a bug, not anything she ate. Anyway the important thing is he's better now.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad