Suggestions How To Resolve This

This sore on the left front was very, very ugly to begin with. This is after she'd been with me a few weeks and I started using Manuka honey on it. (Note, her nails are getting in much better shape [short]).

Sore10-01-13_zps5622651a.jpg

We got to here and I thought we were well on our way to having this resolve.

Sore10-31-13_zps4762c798.jpg

Then the snow/ice/snice/WINTER arrived and she opened it up again. While most of the sore seems mostly healed, the distal aspect continues to frustrate me. As does her constant licking if it is unwrapped while she is unmuzzled.

eta: The sore is always wrapped, beginning with a small piece of non-stick gauze (with Manuka honey or Neosporin or now Bag Balm :) ) and vetwrap, so the sore is not being challenged by the snow and ice, it's just taking forever to heal.

This is today:

Sore1_zpsdcd6d914.jpg

I've dispensed with the Manuka honey and have been using Neosporin and keeping it wrapped so that she leaves it alone. I am also trying to keep that dew claw short so that it doesn't bother her while wrapped but today it looks a bit angry

Sore2_zps85ab25e2.jpg

Here is the opposite dew claw for comparison

Sore4_zps9528c295.jpg

Thoughts on getting this sore to resolve? I have used SuperGlue with great success for many little wounds and am to the point where I'm thinking to use it to close the bottom edge. I also do not know how this occurred, she arrived with it. Thanks for looking.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm sure the snow is causing the abrasion which in turn causes her to start licking the wound/scar again. You may need to cover the affected area while she goes out. A Medipaw boot might be handy. They are waterproof and breathable and if need be can be left on.

Bag balm? Just a thought. It seems to work for lots of similar things.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

felix recently sliced himself under his dew claw. hulk, a good deep slice which bled like a stuck pig. i washed it, bandaged it, put some padding in-between the dew claw and leg. it had a ton of dirt in it and couldn't get it really clean. i wasted my time going to the vet, i was sure it was going to get infected and it needed something to hold the slice together and a good cleaning. he complimented me on my bandage and said let it heal on it's own. 2 weeks later- it healed.

Might try a toddler tube sock -- one of the heavy terry ones -- and vetwrap only above the dewclaw. Rubber booty or IV bag when outside. The sock will probably still get wet if you have deep snow, so get several pairs ...... I would keep using Bag Balm or Neosporin or similar -- something to keep the sore area moist.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't have any suggestions, but this is a good reason why she should NEVER be adopted by anyone! Look at her! She is an absolute medical mess. Bless you, Jan, for taking on the daunting task of caring for this girl. :rofl

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Thanks all, especially Cindy :lol I am going to try the Bag Balm and keep it wrapped for a while longer. Once the snow is gone (it's going to leave, right?), I think I can try again to wrap it with a sock open at the bottom - I'd forgotten that we've BTDT, too. She was pretty good about leaving that alone. Thanks guys :thumbs-up

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Just trying to do my part! :)

I do hope that you are able to achieve success. I also hope this snow will melt and spring will come. Dream big, right?

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Coconut Oil will have that skin around it nice and soft in no time. I'd cover it somehow when she goes outside (Paws bootie?) to keep the snow/ice from making it worse. Poor Oz ran through some deep snow at Mom and Dad's today and has little cuts on his legs now :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Coconut Oil will have that skin around it nice and soft in no time. I'd cover it somehow when she goes outside (Paws bootie?) to keep the snow/ice from making it worse. Poor Oz ran through some deep snow at Mom and Dad's today and has little cuts on his legs now :(

It sounds as tho there are a lot of pups getting beaten up by the weather. I hope the insults aren't too bad and are healing well.

I've updated the first post. The sore is never unwrapped unless we are in the house and she is muzzled with a stool guard, so it isn't the weather that's beating up the sore. Thanks again for all the good suggestions :)

Guest grey_dreams

Zhivaya recently had a wound on one toe around the nailbed. He wouldn't leave it alone and made it much worse. I started treating with Manuka Honey and it got better, and then didn't get better anymore. There was still a wound there that was not healing anymore. The vet told me to do 5-minute daily betadine soaks (he said dilute it to the color of weak tea) and gave me an antifungal antibacterial salve. I would do the soak, let it dry, and then put on the salve, let it absorb, and then the honey, bandage, sock. Kept it wrapped except for a couple hours a day inside. After another few days using the betadine + antifungal/antibacterial salve + Manuka honey + sock, and the toe was fine. You've already healed the majority of her nasty foot wound, there's just a little bit left to go. You'll get there :grouphug

Oh, and, with that kind of scar on her foot, I doubt that anyone would want to adopt her :heart