Good Thoughts Appreciated For Aston -- Update Post 89

o_rooly

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another update...

I am hoping, hoping that his weight loss has stalled with the pred reduction, but I can't really tell. He was looking particularly ribby in certain light yesterday, so I sent a photo-message to my vet's cell, which resulted in a "Oh Jesus!! He needs CARBS!!!" response. She recommended quinoa, oatmeal and potato if other items haven't worked. I have tried sweet potato, rice, oatmeal (that one was yesterday after the text conversation), and broccoli as non-meat additives; the first three resulted in quick discomfort and diarrhea, while the broccoli resulted in what I presume to be gas pain, based on the panting and eventual tooting. The only thing thus far that has not gone straight through him is a careful amount of bison, combined with some egg whites. I've been feeding him 4 meals of this per day (with a little bone meal, a lot of enzyme powder; and probiotics added to the non-doxy meals), trying not to hit the overfeeding threshold that results in everything coming out a quick mess on the other end.
I just added a little white potato to his second meal today, so I hope it sticks. :goodluck

I'm also ramping up exercise in hopes that using his muscles more will encourage his body to try to keep muscle mass (under the "use it or lose it" theory). He is really out of shape, and his wrist is still a little swollen, so I'm not doing anything drastic -- just trying to get him to trot through short walks (~3/8 mile), or more if he's up for it. I'm afraid to expend more precious calories, but it's evident that he's really weak, especially in his hind end, as his muscle is getting burned away. Hoping that this slows the melting. :(

Here's buddy as of 5 minutes ago. He's still feeling good, happy and bouncy for walks (albeit shaky since his muscle has left him), perky, scarfs his food, sighs big floopy sighs when he gets the couch "fluffed up" juuuuust right, sleeps peacefully. And that is why we do what we do. :beatheart
A rollercoaster ride... but he is a happy 11 years old.

688ee5f1-f0c6-4902-b4d2-ae769615f7f6_zps

Edited by o_rooly

He looks great in the last pic. I would not worry what other people think, I would stick with your plan as you know your boy best.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

He does look happy, hope the weight loss will reverse as he cuts back on the pred!

Totally agree. Prednisone just melts muscle mass off our guys. Hopefully, once the pred is reduced he'll gain his weight back. Remember pred can upset the pancreas so, when feeding more keep it simple-I would stay away from fatty meals.

Bless him, he looks like a real sweetheart, and so happy and alert! Sorry about the weight loss.

Have you tried pasta or rice?

I haven't tried pasta (yet). I've been leery because anything grain-based hasn't been great for his digestive system, for a few years now. However, today's potato hasn't turned things to mush, yet? so hopefully that will pan out :goodluck

Aside from egg whites, what's another good lean protein (or five)? I'm not sure at this point whether i should still try to stay novel -- that was suggested in the beginning of the second leg-swelling episode, in case his food was causing the severe immune response. I did try adding chicken in lieu of bison for a meal, and it didn't go well. :( It didn't seem to be a problem before, so I'm not sure what's going on. I buy 90% lean ground bison, drain it and rinse it after browning, but still do end up with coagulated fat in the food baggies when refrigerated...

Edited by o_rooly

He looks very perky!

I think you just need to be a bit patient with the weight/muscle loss. My boy was even thinner than Aston and I remember wondering if the wasting was ever going to stop and if he would ever get his muscles back. He did eventually gain most of it back as the steroids were reduced, but IIRC it took a couple of months and we are still seeing improvements 20 months on. In our case the steroids were tapered over 8 months and he's still on a low every other day dose now. IIRC, I think we saw the biggest improvement once we were able to go to an every other day dose.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest jetska

What about some red kidney beans or lentils or some other non-meat protein boiled into a mushy state? Can't get much more novel than that for a dog, but he might not digest it... I've got friends whose dogs are mainly vego and they do really well on lentils etc... or course their digestive systems have adjusted to it well

He's beautiful, and he's 11, and having health issues. Whatever you can feed him, that makes him happy, and doesn't make him feel ill, you should go with, imo.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest MnMDogs

He's beautiful, and he's 11, and having health issues. Whatever you can feed him, that makes him happy, and doesn't make him feel ill, you should go with, imo.

Agree with all of this. Especially that he's beautiful :)

Thank you, everyone :):beatheart

Another update...

Spotted worms in Aston's poop yesterday morning. :( Must be hard to gain weight when you're sharing your food...
Aston weighs 56.7lbs today. He weighed 68.5lbs on February 13.
Awaiting test results, but he got Drontal Plus today, and will get another dose in two weeks.
Also picked up FloraZil+ probiotic spray. The vet on staff today, who treated Aston at his previous hospital, said we need to taper him further down on the pred, soon. I texted our regular vet (same practice, but wasn't on duty) to update her about the worms, and she responded with "maybe that's why he's so skinny."....

Here he is a few minutes ago, clearly enjoying Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Hulu with me. :beatheart

220bddbe-b89e-4f8b-bc39-9ed07a72b945_zps

Still a happy guy. Still weak. We'll head out for a workout once it cools off outside (yay for this year's California "winter" :( ).

Poor Aston, hopefully with the worms treated he'll feel better.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.