Uti's In Multiple Dogs (Or Something Else?)

Leo's gone 2 days with no accidents, basically since the 2nd dose of his new antibiotic and tonight, Henry's hesitating, hesitating, then peeing in the house all of a sudden.

We asked the vet if there was anything that could been causing multiple UTI's and she said no, not without crystals in the urine.

This spring, Murphy had a UTI, but it was right after we got him so we assumed he'd come in sick.

This fall, Henry came up clean, but I was pretty sure it wasn't behavior, so we put him on an antibiotic and the problem stopped right away.

Then Leo... any ideas?

I know it sounds like they just don't behave, but I really don't think that's it. There's no marking, and they haven't been hitting the same spots.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

DH just bought them the cranberry tablets and I'll switch them over to filtered water. I thought since we drink the tap water it would be okay, but maybe it will help. We'll see what the vet says in the AM.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

We had to get a fountain to prevent UTIs. Even though we changed their bowl 4 times a day, there was theory that the stagnant water may have been causing the issue .I cant say I have hard evidence that it was the cause or that the fountain helped because we also did a food change thinking the phosphorous levels in the food might have been a contributing factor. But after those changes, our issues resolved.

Edited by DofSweetPotatos

I would first wonder if they were getting enough water intake. Some dogs don't naturally drink enough, even with water freely available (as it should be, at all times). Try adding more liquid to their food, or getting that fountain! Can't hurt, might help!

JMHO, but I imagine that the vet was assuming a water intake of a healthy level, because as I understand it, very concentrated urine can indeed contribute to UTIs - as can not having the opportunity to empty the bladder often enough (completely, in humans, but I doubt that applies quite the same to dogs). I don't imagine either of those applies to you, but I thought I'd just mention them.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thank you for the thoughts. The boys both have water available and drink frequently (but I don't think excessively) and are leash walked 5-7x/day. They both eat Costco lamb and rice.

All I could get Henry was a 3:45pm appointment (1 vet has the flu) but they've assured me a urine culture can be sent out at that time of day.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, or questions I should ask the vet would be very welcome.

Are you using filtered water? Cut the UTIs I was seeing to almost none over the years.

We are as of last night.

A fountain helped my kids a lot. I bought the second one I linked to here - it holds more water, but, is more of a pain to clean and fill (you have to fill the big dome at the sink, and there are lots of pieces to the fountain). I have the kitty version of the first one I linked to and it's SO easy to clean and fill (just dump more water into it!).

http://www.amazon.com/Dogit-Design-Drinking-Fountain-Original/dp/B004OHQUUY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390230569&sr=8-1&keywords=dogit+fountain

http://www.amazon.com/Dogit-Fresh-Clear-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B000O3APMQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390230590&sr=8-2&keywords=dogit+fountain

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

So, long story short, vet practice that has been iffy made another error regarding urine samples and timing and when we pointed out that inaccurate medical information was a problem (receptionist said she checked with the vet, actually checked with the other receptionist), the practice manager called back and fired us. With a sick dog. On a holiday weekend. And refused to provide a referal. When DH called back to discuss matters, she changed her story dramatically, acknowledged that I had been polite on the phone, and that if we wanted a vet that provided medically accurate information we should go somewhere else. DH asked if didn't they want to become that practice? "No." Okay then.

So for the time being we're going back to the vet where we had the confusion with Henry's UTI analysis last time resulting in it not being cultured, they seem to have changed how they handle scheduling around samples to be sent to the lab. Wish us the best--I'm about ready to quit my job over the state of medical care here. There are several very good vets that I'm aware of in the state, but the closest is 1.5 hours away at best and doesn't seem feasible, particularly for sudden issues like this when we need to be able to go whenever they can squeeze us in.

"if we wanted a vet that provided medically accurate information we should go somewhere else" Seriously? Wow, you are so much better of without those clowns! It is frustrating to not have a vet you can have confidence in. I hope the ones you are going back to have improved, but they have to be better than these folks.

"if we wanted a vet that provided medically accurate information we should go somewhere else" Seriously? Wow, you are so much better of without those clowns! It is frustrating to not have a vet you can have confidence in. I hope the ones you are going back to have improved, but they have to be better than these folks.

I hope so, I'm just so frustrated. My colleagues complain about the lack of restaurants, cultural activities, etc. and we're fine with all that--I'm from a small town and like a lot of things about small town life, but the lack of decent medical care for our pets is very upsetting.

To everyone suggesting fountains, I'll look into ordering one today. They can't possibly make a bigger mess drinking than they already do :) Is the idea that they'll drink more? Or that the water will be better moving?

Good grief. Here in England that would get them rapidly reported to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and an in-depth investigation. At least, I hope it would!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I hope so, I'm just so frustrated. My colleagues complain about the lack of restaurants, cultural activities, etc. and we're fine with all that--I'm from a small town and like a lot of things about small town life, but the lack of decent medical care for our pets is very upsetting.

To everyone suggesting fountains, I'll look into ordering one today. They can't possibly make a bigger mess drinking than they already do :) Is the idea that they'll drink more? Or that the water will be better moving?

Keeps the water more fresh, and for some it is more "interesting" so they're more likely to drink more. :)

I've also found they make LESS of a mess drinking from the fountain. Couldn't tell you why that is. :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Thank you everyone. The vet took x-rays, did a sterile urine sample, and a physical exam. Urinalsis will be in tomorrow, urine culture I think she said 2-3 days. No signs of bladder stones, and of course he was back to peeing normally while there. While we're at it, the rest of what she saw on the xrays looked fine. She's thinking maybe just a coincidence and we got nervous because of all the problems we had lately, but for now he's okayed to keep using cranberry tablets and tramadol if needed until the results come in.

I asked about the water--she used to live in our apartment complex and drank it/gave it to her dogs so she thinks it's fine but we're switching to filtered anyway. She said the fresh water is usually only an issue with people who rarely change out their dog's water, but a fountain can't hurt. (These must be people with very different dogs than mine who helpfully "change the water" by making a mess on the floor.)

I have written an overly long letter to the owner of the other practice, which I will sleep on and then calm down and shorten to allow her to explain the behavior of her staff before we file reports with various agencies. I forgot to add earlier that I'm pretty sure receptionists aren't supposed to say they've checked with the vet about giving prescription medications when they haven't. The vet we saw today was quietly suprised by some of the decisions the previous vet had made, but I'm leaving it at what happened today in terms of formal complaints.

If you heard a great big boom, that was my jaw hitting the floor...... Sounds like the vet you saw today is on top of things and being very helpful. Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Update: both the urinalysis and the urine culture came back normal and Henry hasn't had any more problems. So I think we spent a bunch of money because we jumped the gun, but at least he's fine and we learned something valuable about the one practice in a non-emergency situation.

Our letter to the practice owner crossed in the mail with one from her--throughly snotty, grammatically incorrect, and she spelled DH's name wrong and rather pointedly miss addressed me, but she proudly admits to dumping a dog under the practice's active care, so I guess it will be part of our formal complaints.

Leo, on the other hand, has developed a behavioral habit of peeing in his crate. Sigh, so we're back to working on that.

Hope you can get the latest problem solved easily.

That is so weird about the practice.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.