E-Vet Or Wait Till Morning?

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Ok, guys....I turned my back for a minute during a late night play session and BANG! this is what happens. Izzy has the thinnest skin ever!! I didn't even hear her yelp or anything. The last time this happened, we went to the vet and she got a few staples. I did call the Evet and by my description she said we were probably good to wait till morning unless she started bothering it...but I need the input of the real experts...and plus you guys can see photos.

There are two gashes. One is about a half inch the other an inch. No drippy blood, but you can see the tissue underneath. Skin is ripped back. Miami was the culprit, but it was all in fun, just expensive fun.

Poor little Iz, she came from Spain with quite a few little hairless scars on her, but she is only adding to them here. Ugh. I cant even blame the hounds, cause she is the instigator! She is so wild and crazy! They don't seem to be bothering her at all, she is not licking at them. She is sleeping soundly next to me. The cuts are right over her ribs.

What do you guys think? Evet or wait till first thing tomorrow...

IMAG3597_zpsxpbri5i6.jpg

IMAG3598_zpsdisilpej.jpg

IMAG3596_zpso7kc5x82.jpg

If you want them to stitch it, I'd go tonight.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I think you're good to wait--and I'm not normally a waiter.

If she starts messing with them, try putting a t-shirt on her, and be prepared to muzzle her if necessary. Don't give her any drugs, even if she should seem ouchy. If you give something, it'll impact what the vet might want to use.

ETA: I agree with PatricksMom that if you want stitches you need to go tonight. But I think these will heal well without stitches...

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest DeniseL

If you want them to stitch it, I'd go tonight.

It happened once before and by the time we noticed it and got her to the vet, they were able to close it with a couple of staples. They won't be able to stitch or staple it tomorrow? Will it take longer to heal without stitches?

I can't tell the severity from the pics, but those don't look too serious to me. I have dealt with cuts that looked like that, and to be honest (bad hound momma!) I don't even go to the vet. I keep them clean and they heal up just fine on their own. :)

I can't tell the severity from the pics, but those don't look too serious to me. I have dealt with cuts that looked like that, and to be honest (bad hound momma!) I don't even go to the vet. I keep them clean and they heal up just fine on their own. :)

:nod

10 years ago I would have rushed to the e-vet, I have learned to manage a lot more at home......2 summers ago one of my girls got a 2 inch slice on the top of her head, right before we were going to take a walk, I had stepped back inside to grab something and my other girl got her with a toe nail....it didn't bleed, I couldn't take her in, I had to be at work so I cleaned it and kept it clean and dry and it healed nicely, she does have a little scar, but you can't see it unless you are looking for it.

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Guest DeniseL

:nod

10 years ago I would have rushed to the e-vet, I have learned to manage a lot more at home......2 summers ago one of my girls got a 2 inch slice on the top of her head, right before we were going to take a walk, I had stepped back inside to grab something and my other girl got her with a toe nail....it didn't bleed, I couldn't take her in, I had to be at work so I cleaned it and kept it clean and dry and it healed nicely, she does have a little scar, but you can't see it unless you are looking for it.

I am the type to rush off to the Evet for everything, and to be honest, it's draining LOL

Tonight, I just don't have it in me if it's not necessary. However, I want to do what is best for her.

The skin in peeled back and bunched up...

Doctors generally need good, fresh edges to suture, and these edges will be drier by morning. Whether they'll be too dry to stitch is another matter.

Also, the location is part of the question: will they stretch and gape open if they're not stitched? If they are stitched, will the stitches hold?

The e-vet said it sounded as if it could wait for morning, but I think you'll want to be there first thing.

(Confession: when a new mom, I took my boy to the e-vet at 10 at night for stitches. The cut might have healed on its own, but 1--the cut went all the way to the bone, and 2--it was a Saturday night, so he'd have had to wait nearly 36 hours to see his own vet.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I would try to push the skin back into place if you're not going to the vet. If it seems to dry to do that you could pour water on it and let it slide back in.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

They can staple it tomorrow if need be. Never had an issue doing that here.

I'd clean it well (mild soap and plenty of water to rinse) and see how it looks in the a.m. If they aren't expanding as she moves around, might not even need a staple.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm chiming in late here , I feel it can wait but, until you go I would coat the wounds with sterile lube (K-Y jelly)-it will keep the wounds moist. These kind of lacerations will typically heal by second intention, however, having them sutured will-one avoid the chance of infection and two they will heal much, much faster (and make for a much smaller scar) Keep us posted :-)

felix has had punctures stapled at the vet a couple of weeks after they occurred. yup, i was waiting to see how long it would heal on it's own. i brought him in for something else and my vet just cleaned it out, stapled it up and a 6 week heal turned into a 2 week heal. use or make a bite not collar so he can't get to the staples.

Guest DeniseL

Thanks everyone!

Late last night, I emailed her vet with photos. I didn't clean or touch it, only because the evet told me not to, so she wouldn't start noticing it more. Her vet called this morning said he had an 11am appointment, but that he said it would probably not need stiches or staples, so he would just prescribe some meds if I preferred. I will take her for the appointment only because I want to talk to him about what to do the next time. Have him show me how to clean it, etc.

I must say...I'm pretty proud of myself for not showing up at the emergency room at midnight LOL that's an improvement for me :)

I probably would've gone in, but then I'm "that" kind of houndie mom.

I also know that puncture wounds can be a lot deeper than they look. We took Diamond in once for a wound about the size of a nickel, and it wound up requiring three layers of stitches.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest DeniseL

I probably would've gone in, but then I'm "that" kind of houndie mom.

I also know that puncture wounds can be a lot deeper than they look. We took Diamond in once for a wound about the size of a nickel, and it wound up requiring three layers of stitches.

yeah, i know what you mean...these are actually deeper then they look. the skin is pulled back and bunched up.

blue had a small owie like that, with a flap of drying skin, went to vet next morning, he cleaned it & put vet gel on it, gave me a tube to carry on with it. it healed nicely from the edges in in a week or so. couple months later i couldn't tell where it had been.vet said after a couple hours it's usually not worth stitching.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.