Apartment Living- Help!

Guest kiyahound

Guest kiyahound

Hello all,

We are living in an apartment and our new grey is definitley one who does NOT liker her crate. I have posted in other posts about how to crate her, and we are still having problems with her being very vocal when we leave. Due to living in an apartment it is concerning because we don't want to get in trouble with our landlord or disturb our neighbors. The adoption agency has offered a few different ways to handle this.... they recommended leaving her out of her crate instead. Tried that- doesn't work. She still cries and cries because she is alone. They also recommended exercising her as much as we could right before we crate her at 11:30am. We have been doing that but will try and do longer walks/jogs if necessary. Didn't notice a difference today though. We really are wondering if maybe our grey just doesn't like living in an apartment? We don't have access within walking distance, of any fenced in areas to let her just run her heart out. We can take her places on weekends to run but don't really have time to put her in the car, drive to the park, every day for her to run off leash. I'm wondering if there are any other people who live in apartments that might have some words of encouragment or suggestions for me?

I really wish we had access to a yard. I think our girl would benefit from running a few minutes every day, maybe this would even make her quieter in the crate. We are hoping we don't have to give her back. But if she can't be crated while we are at work (or atleast in the apartment) without whining and yelping, we can't keep her.

Help wanted and needed!!! Thanks in advance.

Are you leaving a radio or TV on so there is some background noise? Even in the racing kennels greys are used to TV or radio playing. it also helps block "apartment noises" that might set her off.

As noted above, you definitely need to do Alone Training if you haven't.

Everything your hound is experiencing right now is brand new and different from everything they have known. It's a little scary for them.

Do you have another dog? She might need one. . .

Riverhound is an enabler.....pay no attention..... :bgeorge (Hi Rachael.. :neener )

Seriously though, often times a second hound really helps this issue, but not everyone is in a position to do that. You will get lots of good suggestions here, and there are pleny of people here who have gotten through this with a little time and training. .

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

How much exercise do you give her before leaving? For example, today, when we're in and out all day, ours got 45 minutes. When they will be left for most of the day alone they'll get an hour to 1.5 hours. They then crash our for the day. But exercise isn't the be all and end all. Other suggestions here are also good.

Guest kiyahound

thanks everyone!! yes we have tried alone training....we might need to start back at the beginning. She did fine for about an hour alone...and for some reason this morning she was alone for about 2 hours and my husband got home and she was very stressed and whining loudly. we DO leave radio on as well. :( We don't have room for another doggie, or I would totally do that. i love them so much.

How much exercise do you give her before leaving? For example, today, when we're in and out all day, ours got 45 minutes. When they will be left for most of the day alone they'll get an hour to 1.5 hours. They then crash our for the day. But exercise isn't the be all and end all. Other suggestions here are also good.

hmm okay we might just have to up our exercise!! we have been going on like a 30 min walk/jog with her right before the crate.

DAP collar AND diffuser worked for one of my friends.

I will look into this! :)

Guest Clawsandpaws

I haven't really read your other threads, but I was wondering: How do you know she is crying all the time when you leave? Do you have a camera/mic? Or are you standing outside and you can hear her?

Guest grey_dreams

Alone training takes daily practice (or at least several times per week), and you may have to continue alone training for a couple of months or more. It's necessary to work up the time alone in small increments. The best is if you can do day-long sessions where you will leave (for very short times) and return about 50 times or more. Search the forum for step-by-step instructions. The good news is that most dogs do eventually adjust to being alone :)

If nothing is working, there are medications that are available to help soothe her. You could try benedryl, too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

More exercise might help, but most likely your girl has some separation anxiety and needs continued alone training. We tried exercise to exertion but our boy managed to freak out even though he was exhausted. We ditched the crate which was a big part of the issue, but still had to do alone training with our #1 boy. It took a few months, but he settled in with no other issues. The first few months were very tough and he's SO LOUD!

Most likely she'll get comfortable with time, routine, and lots of positive reinforcement. Once she gets the program and you continue to deliver that same program every day, she'll do just fine. We had lots of setbacks too, and I was constantly thinking WE were doing something wrong with the training, but I think time and repetition - and keeping to that routine - is what finally brings the comfort and confidence they need to get through a day on their own. It's been over 3 years and I say the same thing when I walk out the door, every single time - I promise I'll be back, you be a good boy :)

Hang in there!

Guest kiyahound

I haven't really read your other threads, but I was wondering: How do you know she is crying all the time when you leave? Do you have a camera/mic? Or are you standing outside and you can hear her?

I guess we don't know if it's continuous. but my husband stood at the top of the stairs in our building (we are on the 3rd floor and he was at the top of the stairs inside the building) and he could still hear her! He was no where near our door, he was even on another floor but could hear her whining!!

Alone training takes daily practice (or at least several times per week), and you may have to continue alone training for a couple of months or more. It's necessary to work up the time alone in small increments. The best is if you can do day-long sessions where you will leave (for very short times) and return about 50 times or more. Search the forum for step-by-step instructions. The good news is that most dogs do eventually adjust to being alone :)

thank you- I think we are gonna have to just slow it down and do MORE! I work the same schedule every day so we might have to really focus on alone training on the weekend or my hubby might have to try when I'm at work. I am worried about giving her the kong with treats every time though...i don't want her to get an upset tummy from all the treats. she doesn't really like toys either, so it's hard to keep her preo-occupied. she is very food motivated!

Guest lunasmom

If you are worried about treats you can stuff a kong with moistened kibble and freeze it. I usually mix in a little bit of peanut butter or a few training size treats with the kibble when I do that so it is different than a regular meal, but healthier than a 1/4cup of just treats. I have also read that some people layer kongs with some plane yogurt and kibble before freezing.

you can fill the kong with some kibble instead of a bunch of treats ... I give 2 kongs per day (one when I leave in the morning, and another at noon when my dog walker leaves), so I reduced the food that my hounds get at Bfast & Dinner to compensate (I do have to remember to change things on weekends when they don't get multiple treats)

Guest laura150

How long have you had your dog for? When we first got ours (we live in an apartment too) we crated him and he hated it. Cried like a baby for hours (we nanny cam'd him). The crate was in our bedroom so we wondered if it was because he thought we were still in the house or something and he couldn't see the door. I started doing alone training with him one weekend for hours each day and he got so sick of me coming and going, he didn't put up a fuss. We leave him alone with free reign of the apartment (I close the door to the bathroom because I think about irrational things like him eating the cleaning products) and he sticks to his main bed in the living room. He still cried a bit in the beginning but we felt like keeping him un-crated plus a lot of alone training really did it for him. Now when I leave in the morning, he doesn't even get up from his bed.

We also tried leaving a radio on for him and giving him delicious-filled kongs and those didn't work. It was the alone training and him knowing that we'd always be back for him.

Guest kiyahound

How long have you had your dog for? When we first got ours (we live in an apartment too) we crated him and he hated it. Cried like a baby for hours (we nanny cam'd him). The crate was in our bedroom so we wondered if it was because he thought we were still in the house or something and he couldn't see the door. I started doing alone training with him one weekend for hours each day and he got so sick of me coming and going, he didn't put up a fuss. We leave him alone with free reign of the apartment (I close the door to the bathroom because I think about irrational things like him eating the cleaning products) and he sticks to his main bed in the living room. He still cried a bit in the beginning but we felt like keeping him un-crated plus a lot of alone training really did it for him. Now when I leave in the morning, he doesn't even get up from his bed.

We also tried leaving a radio on for him and giving him delicious-filled kongs and those didn't work. It was the alone training and him knowing that we'd always be back for him.

thank you so much. I feel like this is the key for our girl too. We have only had her for 8 days!! :D I figured she needs more time also...I know that. But I am just worried about how long the noise will continue and how long my neighbors will put up with it...thats my concern with the noise.

but we are going to dedicate hours a day to this alone training thing. i think we just havent done it enough. we may have gone to ofast and zoomed from 15 minutes to an hour and she might have gotten a little frightened.

If you are worried about treats you can stuff a kong with moistened kibble and freeze it. I usually mix in a little bit of peanut butter or a few training size treats with the kibble when I do that so it is different than a regular meal, but healthier than a 1/4cup of just treats. I have also read that some people layer kongs with some plane yogurt and kibble before freezing.

i'm going to try this tomorrow morning!! :nod

Take a deep breath! Many of us have been where you are! It will be OK!

Step one! Slow down. If you've had her 8 days, you haven't "tried" alone training. You have dabbled with it briefly!

8 days is NOTHING.

Start from the beginning. And for pete's sake, if she hates the crate put it away and never look back! Crates are great--if your dog likes them! Otherwise they're just torture devices. It's TOTALLY DIFFERENT being crated alone in an apartment than it was being crated at the track surrounded by your besties! The intent of crating is good--but it doesn't always make the dog feel safe and familiar.

I too had a howler, and I too live in an apartment. I happen to own mine, but the same thing happened. But I was getting complaints from the other owners. It is good fortune that I was chairman of the condo board and no one could do jack squat to me, but I took their complaints seriously.

First thing I did was write up a friendly note explaining I had a newly adopted retired racer, and that a bit of anxiety was common and temporary. I left them my cell phone, and asked them to please call ME (and not the management company) if the dog was disturbing them. I invited them to come meet the dog. And I thanked them for their patience and assured them I was doing everything I could to make him comfortable. And I delivered one of those notes to the person above me, below me, on either side of me, and across the hall from me.

That worked great with all but one neighbor, who was the biggest witch in the building, and she was so rude I didn't even care anymore about her! But like I said, I was the condo board chairman and she couldn't do anything. If you're a renter, you don't have that measure of security.

Next: ditch the crate.

Find something to occupy her for 15 minutes. It doesn't have to keep her busy all day. That's why everyone advocates Kongs. All you need is for her to stop noticing you've left, and eventually she'll realize you WILL return. The Kong is just a distraction while you depart.

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Get up an hour early if you have to.

DAP diffuser seemed to help George.

Routine! Do everything at the same time every day to the extent possible. Dogs in general thrive on routine. Retired racers more than most. If her small brain grasps the schedule, it will help her make sense of the total chaos she perceives her life has become.

And another deep breath!

I video taped George when my neighbors complained because I thought they were exaggerating. He tipped back his head and started to howl like a wolf within 5 minutes of me leaving, and howled the entire 2 hours of the tape. I was horrified. He hasn't been crated since. Within a week, my next door neighbor came by and said, "Oh my God! I hope you didn't get rid of the Greyhound because of ME! I was OK with waiting a while you know!" and George poked his skinny nose out the door to say hello to her and she was astonished he was still there.

It's all good six years later!

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest kiyahound

well my husband and i worked on alone training this morning for about an hour. she gets really anxious when we leave. she started whining and being vocal as soon as we would close the door and leave. we only left in 3-5 min increments. then my husband took me to work and went home and continued the alone training. he told me that they are still not having any luck. i am hoping she eventually adjusts. poor doggy. :(

Take a deep breath! Many of us have been where you are! It will be OK!

Step one! Slow down. If you've had her 8 days, you haven't "tried" alone training. You have dabbled with it briefly!

8 days is NOTHING.

Start from the beginning. And for pete's sake, if she hates the crate put it away and never look back! Crates are great--if your dog likes them! Otherwise they're just torture devices. It's TOTALLY DIFFERENT being crated alone in an apartment than it was being crated at the track surrounded by your besties! The intent of crating is good--but it doesn't always make the dog feel safe and familiar.

I too had a howler, and I too live in an apartment. I happen to own mine, but the same thing happened. But I was getting complaints from the other owners. It is good fortune that I was chairman of the condo board and no one could do jack squat to me, but I took their complaints seriously.

First thing I did was write up a friendly note explaining I had a newly adopted retired racer, and that a bit of anxiety was common and temporary. I left them my cell phone, and asked them to please call ME (and not the management company) if the dog was disturbing them. I invited them to come meet the dog. And I thanked them for their patience and assured them I was doing everything I could to make him comfortable. And I delivered one of those notes to the person above me, below me, on either side of me, and across the hall from me.

That worked great with all but one neighbor, who was the biggest witch in the building, and she was so rude I didn't even care anymore about her! But like I said, I was the condo board chairman and she couldn't do anything. If you're a renter, you don't have that measure of security.

Next: ditch the crate.

Find something to occupy her for 15 minutes. It doesn't have to keep her busy all day. That's why everyone advocates Kongs. All you need is for her to stop noticing you've left, and eventually she'll realize you WILL return. The Kong is just a distraction while you depart.

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Get up an hour early if you have to.

DAP diffuser seemed to help George.

Routine! Do everything at the same time every day to the extent possible. Dogs in general thrive on routine. Retired racers more than most. If her small brain grasps the schedule, it will help her make sense of the total chaos she perceives her life has become.

And another deep breath!

I video taped George when my neighbors complained because I thought they were exaggerating. He tipped back his head and started to howl like a wolf within 5 minutes of me leaving, and howled the entire 2 hours of the tape. I was horrified. He hasn't been crated since. Within a week, my next door neighbor came by and said, "Oh my God! I hope you didn't get rid of the Greyhound because of ME! I was OK with waiting a while you know!" and George poked his skinny nose out the door to say hello to her and she was astonished he was still there.

It's all good six years later!

thank you so much for all of this information! I am going to try that DAP diffuser and see if that works. I think we will have to write our neighbors notes as well. that's a GREAT idea! Hopefully they will be kind about it. We are trying to get her in a routine. so far her potty breaks and meal times are the most routine. we will continue to work more on her schedule. Kongs don't always hold her attention. for some strange reason. this dog doesn't really like toys either! how strange! i am at a loss as to waht to put in her crate. i have seen some interesting toys that are like "games" i think i might order one of these and see if she likes it.

When I lived in a condo and adopted my first yorkie I made bags of candy (mini prewrapped bars) and left them outside all my neighbors doors with a note that said something like "Hi - my name is Axel and I live in 204. I am new and kind of confused so please bear with me for a bit if I bark. I'll settle in soon. :paw "

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest kiyahound

When I lived in a condo and adopted my first yorkie I made bags of candy (mini prewrapped bars) and left them outside all my neighbors doors with a note that said something like "Hi - my name is Axel and I live in 204. I am new and kind of confused so please bear with me for a bit if I bark. I'll settle in soon. :paw "

GREAT IDEA! :)

Guest kiyahound

Tomorrow is saturday and we are going to dedicate tomorrow to lots of alone training! How many times should we do it? should we leave treats in the crate every time we leave? my girls stomach is sensitive so i don't want to give too many treats. should we do short spurts like 5 mins, 10 m ins, 15 mins, 20 mins. etc?

Although my hubby did this today when i was at work and said she cried even when he left her free to roam in the apartment. i just think she hates being alone. :( crate or no crate...still whines. sigh. hopefully tomorrow we will see progress? It hasn't helped that it has been raining for the past two days! we can't go out for long walks cause she hates the rain. i think the boredom is also our enemy here!

Guest DogNewbie

We didn't live in an apartment per say, but we were living in a small 2 bedroom house with shared laundry and someone down stairs. When we where living in the rental house, we would crate Wiley when we were gone NO EXCEPTIONS. We had 2 incidents where he chewed the built-in desk and the front door trim so after that, he was always crated. At first, I tired coming home at lunch but the guy below us was complaining to our landlord so we took Wiley to doggie day care. This worked out well for everyone. He had fun, we didn't feel guilty for leaving him in a cage and the guy down stairs had his peace and quiet! If my BF was working in the shop, he would go to work with him. If he was only going to be in his crate for an hour or so, then he would stay in his crate.But if it was going to be longer, then we would take him to day care or see if my BF's parents could puppy sit. Now that we have moved into our own house, he is loose when we leave :)

Good Luck!

Guest kiyahound

We didn't live in an apartment per say, but we were living in a small 2 bedroom house with shared laundry and someone down stairs. When we where living in the rental house, we would crate Wiley when we were gone NO EXCEPTIONS. We had 2 incidents where he chewed the built-in desk and the front door trim so after that, he was always crated. At first, I tired coming home at lunch but the guy below us was complaining to our landlord so we took Wiley to doggie day care. This worked out well for everyone. He had fun, we didn't feel guilty for leaving him in a cage and the guy down stairs had his peace and quiet! If my BF was working in the shop, he would go to work with him. If he was only going to be in his crate for an hour or so, then he would stay in his crate.But if it was going to be longer, then we would take him to day care or see if my BF's parents could puppy sit. Now that we have moved into our own house, he is loose when we leave :)

Good Luck!

unfortunately we can't afford doggie day care :(

Several minutes is WAY TOO LONG if the dog is whining. You have to start with seconds or even just approaching the door etc. The point is you return BEFORE the dog starts reacting. Others can advise with more detail and there are many other threads.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

8 days is super new. Walter was really confused when I first brought him home. I did lots of stuff with him, including alone training. I took him to the park, petsmart, while I ran into Wawa, basically did as much fun stuff as I could and I put him in my car a lot because that's the primary way we get around. I crated him for 2 weeks, and on weekends when I knew I be gone for a while and to be honest, it was difficult because he hated the crate. So i stopped using it.

It's going to take some time, have faith, there is a TON of support here. Keep asking questions :)

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg