Won't Pee Or Poo Outside Due To Cold

Guest akawow

Guest akawow

This seems dumb, but I have coats, scarf around ears and boots on my dog and she just gets out there and goes kinda trance like- like she has no idea what she's doing there. Has not peed since early this am. , but barks like she needs to go out. I can't keep her out more than a few minutes as wind chill is -36. Any ideas??

She's used to the boots and coat, just added the scarf, but she seems not to be bothered by that. It's just too fing cold!

Do you have a fenced yard where she potties, or do you have to walk? If fenced yard, let her out without anything on and see if that does the trick. Just stay right at the door and watch her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Do you have a fenced yard where she potties, or do you have to walk? If fenced yard, let her out without anything on and see if that does the trick. Just stay right at the door and watch her.

Agree! Marble runs out in her tummy warmer, potties and runs right back in. Zelda meanwhile was outside dorking around after pottying...guess she felt good with her jammies on. I had to call her as she stood outside the door (they have a dog door)...goofball. Air temp is 0 here, so I'm sure the windchill is bonechilling right now.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest Wasserbuffel

Mine did that once because of the heat. 101 at 6am, she just laid flat on the deck and told me she was dying of heat stroke. Didn't mess in her crate while I was at work, but performed the same death act in the evening.

Finally at 10pm I refused to let her back in until I saw her go.

With cold being deadly, In this case I would just put her out for a couple minutes at a time as often as possible until she goes. Maybe just bring her in, warm her up, then send her right back out.

It's -35 here right now. I send mine out naked. They go out and get right down to business. 45 seconds, tops.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My boy Fast doesn't want to go and go potty their. And he was last out at 11 am. I tried at 2:30 when I got back fro the vet with Angel. And my dad just tried a few mintues ago. But he just wont go cuz it's so cold.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

I have to walk mine, he won't go if I just turn him out in the backyard (he will just stand at the door). I don't bundle him up if we're only going to be out for a few minutes, if he has boots and a hat on he hates it and just stands there miserably. I just walk him down the street a bit until he goes as that is his usual routine. He quickly learned that as soon as he goes in the cold we run back in. :P

Guest akawow

No fenced yard, we are in the country w/ heavy winds, so i take them behind a row of pine trees for shelter. They have gone there lots of times recently. She's used to the coat and boots, and even then after a couple minutes she begins the full body shivering.

After I took her out, I headed out for the mailbox. On the way back I realized I was stumbling and getting stoooopid myself. It only takes minutes.

Guess I will offer food and try again-she's got to be ready to explode!

We keep the house cool, so Sweet Pea is wearing jammies round the clock. When I put her out, she just stands there & looks around. She will not go potty or poo at all with her winter coat on. We try to put her out whever she stirs from the couch. Don't know if it's the cold, doggie dementia, or some of both. Just hope it warms up soon!

You! Out of the gene pool!

Right now it's -20 with a -42 wind chill. Miriam is on strike. She peed before work this morning and that is it. I am just going to keep trying to get her outside. We aren't suppose to get above zero till Wednesday, and then only +3 degrees. Thursday we are suppose to make it into the teens for both high and low temps. Miriam wants to move back to Alabama.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Guest akawow

Yay! Finally success. She was soooo happy;) Guess they can only hold out so long. I hate having to watch her like a hawk all day to avoid any "accidents" inside.

Good luck to everyone else. Only a couple more days...

We had that the other day when it was snowing and windy. Fuzzy did not poop. I finally walked him and he went, but, he only pooped once that day. He usually goes two or three times. So, the next day he woke me at 4:30 AM to go out.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest dragontearz

It's -35 here right now. I send mine out naked. They go out and get right down to business. 45 seconds, tops.

This worked for us today...Wife was home all day with the dogs, Loki would not go potty with his coat on today despite multiple trips outside.I read this a few minutes ago, figured I'd try it and went out with him myself but him with no coat..within a minute he was done going potty and was as the door ready to go back inside.

Yay! Finally success. She was soooo happy;) Guess they can only hold out so long. I hate having to watch her like a hawk all day to avoid any "accidents" inside.

Good luck to everyone else. Only a couple more days...

Yeah! It's so hard when it's this cold. Just try periodically, like you did - and hope! And - of course - make a run for the house when the business is done! At some point, they usually realize - FINE - I'll just do it - and we GO INSIDE! Hopefully tomorrow the lesson will stick and it will be out - business done - IN!

We have a fenced yard - so not as hard. But a few years ago I finally had to shove Diana out the door - close it in her face, and wait. Nekkid. She got the message - got business done - and got IN. She'd gone almost 24 hours without relieving herself at that point. Now she knows to be zippy-quick when it's cold! She goes outside far less often when it's really cold, though.

Good luck! Hope the explosion happens outside!

Absolutely. But - if an accident were to happen inside - I'd have a hard time being too upset about it.

Edited by sobesmom

Guest carriej

We went through this today too.

Its been colder, but a lot of the snow melted when we had some rain yesterday (freak rainstorm in winter in Canada - this doesn't normally happen!) and it made everything slick like a bottle.

He hadn't done anything in almost 24 hours.

Then he started howling LOL, out we went and he did his business and back in he went. I guess there comes a time when they just can't hold it any longer.