How To Get A Urine Sample From A Female...need Help.

Misty has been on heavy duty blood pressure meds for months, so vet wants blood and urine work ups. I followed her around with a throw away pie pan before we got in the car, then again at the potty place when we got to the vet. I got the pan under her, but she kicked it and scared the pee back inside. I tried a plastic container, got it under her as soon as I saw her squat, and she pooped in it. No pee! Any ideas?

Can you rig up something at the end of a stick (margarine container on a broom handle for example)? She won't know you are there which could be a part of the problem.

Good luck. I've never had any problems, I just put a clean container underneath them and they go.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

x3 on the ladle. Very long handles are a plus.

For households with multiple people (or for the perpetually perplexed like myself) it's a good precaution to store it far away from the kitchen & mark it such that it will never be confused with an actual kitchen utensil. A skull & crossbones comes to mind. :lol

I should have read this before I went to the dollar store!

In the past, I've had someone to help...hold her leash or collar. When I let all five out earlier, no one had to pee. I just let them out again. Misty was fourth in line to pee on the first pee, but scooted out of the way when I got in position. I would have had it this time, if I had another person standing in front. I'll try the ladle tomorrow if my vet is open. No time for me to get there today. Thanks, all!

Easy if the dog will pee on leash. Allow your dog to get a step or two ahead of you. Wait until the dog starts peeing -- you want a midstream catch, not from the very beginning -- and slide container under dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I did from the back for my IG. The vet gave me a long, narrow plastic container that I bleached and now use to contain pens and pencils. I slid it under her tail from behind and don't think she even realized I'd been there!

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

when vicki needed a urine test a couple weeks ago, i assume i was going to do this. but in fact that vet told me he would prefer an unquestionably sterile sample, and that they would get it themselves via needle. which is what they did, e.g., used an ultrasound to locate the bladder, and took a urine sample with a fine needle. it cost about $140 total. seemed like overkill to me, but thats what they did.

when vicki needed a urine test a couple weeks ago, i assume i was going to do this. but in fact that vet told me he would prefer an unquestionably sterile sample, and that they would get it themselves via needle. which is what they did, e.g., used an ultrasound to locate the bladder, and took a urine sample with a fine needle. it cost about $140 total. seemed like overkill to me, but thats what they did.

Lucy had this done too -- Lucy's was done at Angel, I assume Vicki's was done there also. Normally, I don't like any invasive procedure that has a chance of infection but, I had previously done two urine cultures the regular way and they were showing nothing. She had all the symptoms of a UTI so I decided to try this method and it grew a "ton" of bacteria. Not sure if I would recommend it for smaller vet offices that would not do many in the course of a year.

I would think many, if not most, clinics do a lot of urine samples via cystocentesis. Have had it done on two of my dogs & one cat. All were done at our local vet clinic, not a large, specialty place. There seem to be minimal risks. When possible I would prefer the free catch method but if you know you will be running a culture then cystocentesis seems reasonable.

Obtaining urine via cysto is performed routinely at all vet clinics. It's a rather easy procedure--made even easier with an ultrasound. Obtaining a sterile urine sample is imperative when running a culture and sensitivity test. Sometimes your vet will ask you to provide a voided sample if the sterile sample obtained contained blood--you need to rule our the blood wasn't from the needle used during the cysto.

I absolutely cannot get a free catch sample from my iggy boys...our vet knows this and always just does a cystocentesis for us. She never charges us for it either!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--