Molly's Chemo

I thought I would start a new thread, since the surgery is over & done. As I said, I decided to give the chemo a try, even though her cancer is pretty aggressive, but I would stop if the side effects were too bad, since this is all about quality of life.

Her initial reaction, or lack of reaction, was good, but it didn't last. She started feeling nausea on Saturday, and wouldn't eat at all on Sunday. I started her on some meds and did get her to eat a little chicken baby food Sunday night. She seemed very weak and disinterested on Sunday. Today she is brighter and has eaten a little, the meds are finally starting to work. She has some diarrhea, no vomiting.

So now my dilemma. On the one hand, I feel like I should at least go on with the second chemo treatment and ultra sound to see if it is having any effect. On the other hand, I don't want her to go through anymore days like Sunday. Based on how things have gone so far, I probably won't get a clear yes/no answer after the ultrasound anyway! I had decided yesterday to stop the chemo, but seeing her improvement today, I am back on the fence. I've had some doubts about putting her through a lot more treatments and stuff just to get a few more months (at best). I was wiling to do it if the side effects were minor, but where does "minor" cross the line into "too much"? I know these are questions only I can answer, but it is driving me nuts.

tough questions! and the answers~ oh so elusive

:grouphug

I have always said, it's better to let them go on a good day --- a day too early, rather than a day late.

That being said - I have seem miraculous things (Lazer) happen with the will and determination of both animal and human!

So giving them every opportunity to survive and thrive is also my moto.

not helpful i'm sure,, you will do what is best for you and your girl!

:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Our greyhound is going for his second chemo treatment on Thursday. I give the meds for nausea the next day. I do not wait for him to be sick. He has had "D" off and on for a couple of week's. I have meds to give for that also.

I will continue his chemo treatments, it's the only chance he has. He is enjoying lounging on the couch and being loved.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Definitely need to give her meds for nausea immediately as otherwise she likely will have some stomach upset. Good thoughts for Molly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Your veterinarian should be giving Molly antiemetics. When we administer chemo the pet will receive an injection of either cerenia or ondasatron prior to the chemo infusion and will go home with another 3 days worth of cerenia tablets. We also send home metronidazole to be used in case the pet breaks with diarrhea. Which chemo agent is Molly receiving?? With some chemo agents it also helps to make sure they receive a suffient amount of IV fluids.

Well, I wish they had sent us home with some meds, all they said was call us if she gets nauseous and we will prescribe something. Yeah, that's helpful on a Saturday afternoon! She was given doxorubicin on Thursday. If I can get her eating more or less normally, I will go ahead with the second treatment, and I know now to start the stomach meds a soon as she has the treatment.

Did you try some chicken and rice for Molly? I use the instant bouillon cubes in hot water to make the instant rice. I mix in some green beans also.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I know exactly how you are feeling. I dreaded each of the 6 chemo treatments Fiona received knowing she would be "off" or not hungry for a few days. However, it always turned around and by days 5-6 after the treatment she was usually bouncing back. I would ask for a supply of both nausea and diarrhea medication to get you through the treatments.

After consulting with the oncologist, we tried starting her on the nausea medication as soon as we got home from the chemo. We saw a huge difference in that it headed off the discomfort and some of her lack of appetite. She was still not interested in a lot of food and didn't want any kibble at all so I gave her Merrick's Puppy Food several times a day for a couple of days (thanks to Seamie's mom for this hint). When she tired of that, she would eat canned Purina One. I supplemented her diet with scrambled eggs with some boiled ground turkey mixed in.

Each time it was a challenge as her appetite and food aversion bounced all over the place. The foods she usually loved became something she turned away from. This website was helpful with ideas. At the end of the article, there are links to advice for feeding dogs receiving cancer treatments. The best advice I got from the oncologist was to feed her anything that appealed to her during the treatments.

http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjinappetence.html

It can be discouraging during those first few days after treatment. Hang in there.

Hugs to you and Molly.

I meant to add: This is the link that I read over and over for ideas as it was written by a vet's personal experience:

http://www.susanwynn.com/uploads/Feeding_a_Pet_during_Chemotherapy.pdf

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Thank you for the links! I have dealt with a old dog who didn't want to eat, but no cancer involved, so I know a lot of those tricks. Never hurts to be reminded, though, and Molly is a quirky eater at the best of times. I went through almost two months this summer of her acting afraid of her dish (some of the time) after one of my other dogs died.

How is Molly feeling today? All my good wishes go to you both.

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

She started some new meds last night, ondansetron and metronidazole. Her appetite is much better! Still feeding her mostly canned dog food, but she is eating it up asking for more (which sometimes she eats, sometimes not) I changed her bowl, I think that really helped, she was associating her regular bowl with food she didn't want to eat. Her diarrhea seems better too, which I am sure makes her feel better. So now to try and get some weight back on her. Her first white blood cell count is tomorrow :goodluck

YEA!!! that's wonderful ---- :bounce2

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Excellent!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So happy to hear the positive update! Go Molly!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

I know exactly how you are feeling. I dreaded each of the 6 chemo treatments Fiona received knowing she would be "off" or not hungry for a few days. However, it always turned around and by days 5-6 after the treatment she was usually bouncing back. I would ask for a supply of both nausea and diarrhea medication to get you through the treatments.

After consulting with the oncologist, we tried starting her on the nausea medication as soon as we got home from the chemo. We saw a huge difference in that it headed off the discomfort and some of her lack of appetite. She was still not interested in a lot of food and didn't want any kibble at all so I gave her Merrick's Puppy Food several times a day for a couple of days (thanks to Seamie's mom for this hint). When she tired of that, she would eat canned Purina One. I supplemented her diet with scrambled eggs with some boiled ground turkey mixed in.

Each time it was a challenge as her appetite and food aversion bounced all over the place. The foods she usually loved became something she turned away from. This website was helpful with ideas. At the end of the article, there are links to advice for feeding dogs receiving cancer treatments. The best advice I got from the oncologist was to feed her anything that appealed to her during the treatments.

http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjinappetence.html

It can be discouraging during those first few days after treatment. Hang in there.

Hugs to you and Molly.

I meant to add: This is the link that I read over and over for ideas as it was written by a vet's personal experience:

http://www.susanwynn.com/uploads/Feeding_a_Pet_during_Chemotherapy.pdf

Mary, I was hoping you would see this post and give your personal experience with the lovely Fiona. Thanks.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Wonderful news. It's such a relief when you see your pup is feeling better. Good girl Molly!

Glad to see she's feeling better.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown