Surgery For An 11 1/2 Yr Old

I am pretty sure I have decided what I am going to do, but would like to hear any thoughts anyone would like to share.

Molly has a large tumor in her abdomen (@ softball) X-rays have confirmed the tumor and its location, and we are doing an ultra sound on Thursday to see what, if any organs are involved and anything else that might affect the decision. "Best" case, the tumor is either by itself or attached to the spleen with no other organs involved. In that case surgery is possible with a pretty good chance of complete recovery. If any other organs are involved, well, surgery is pointless. She has always been healthy before this, so if there is a good outcome from the ultra sound, I am inclined to risk the surgery.

Any opinions, experiences, etc are welcome!

Doesn't really sound that you have much choice and I wish the best for you and Molly. That being said, if all things look good and you are going ahead with the surgery, I would have Molly undergo a complete cardiac evaluation with a cardiologist, including an echo, first.

Obviously, my suggestion is based upon past experience :( and I so hope your outcome is better than mine.

Sending good thoughts!

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Have an abdominal ultrasound performed first. They will been able to see how involved the tumor is what is attached to and they will be able to look for liver mets.

Wanted to add that her age shouldn't be a deciding factor if she's otherwise healthy. My 11 1/2 yr old girl just went through radiation for a brain tumor--her age never was a factor for me.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest OurGreytLife

If bloodwork comes back good, no signs the tumor has metted somewhere else and ok'd by a cardiologist, I would opt for surgery as well.

I will keep you and Molly in my prayers.

Just good thoughts for Molly and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Based on our recent experiences with Fiona, it might be a good idea to have them check her blood pressure before the surgery. We discovered that Fiona had high blood pressure and has been treated with medication to control this. After finding a lesion during an ultrasound, her spleen was removed last June. Fiona turned 12 in August and did really well recovering from the procedure. Monitoring her blood pressure during and after the surgery was important to keep in mind.

Best wishes and good luck to you and Molly.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I did an amputation on a 12 yr old. She had a terrific 6 months of quality life before OS hit another leg. Her littermate was also 12 when she had a spleenectomy. Her outcome wasn't as good. She already had liver involvement. She survives only 3 weeks.

I wish the best of luck for your baby.