It Is A Torn Acl/ccl - Surgery 10/17

Comforts career ending injury was supposed to be a hairline fracture in his pelvis. I checked with several vets and they said it should be no problem.

The problem is that radiographs show nothing wrong with his pelvis. My vet started looking for other issues and it turns out he has a torn ACL (in people/CCL in dogs). He tore it in January and was at the farm until I got him in August.

I get differing vet opinions on if he should have surgery. Some say yes, but it will be much harder than a fresh tear. One vet said his body has been trying to heal itself and there's a sort of boney hump (maybe that is the wrong wording on my part) and surgery wouldn't be a first option.

Bottom line is the leg seems to be atrophying and his foot is skewed to outside a bit. He likes to sleep on the hardwoods where it is cooler but he scrambles so hard to get up it hurts me.

Ideas?

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Don't you have the young vet from OSU? Have him contact Dr Dyce at OSU. Dr Dyce and Dr Couto helped me with Vallery's prosthetic.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

My Dalmatian had torn her CCL years ago and we went with conservative management instead of surgery because her heart was bad. It did heal by itself over time but her's was a minor tear.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Have any of the vets you've gotten opinions from been orthopedic surgeons? There are different surgical procedures available, and certain ones may be better due to the atophy and length of time from the initial injury. Are there any degenerative/arthritic changes on x-rays? I really don't see why atrophy would keep surgery for doing much good. He might require more rehab/physical therapy afterward, but surgery would fix the underlying instability.

Also, cruciate ligament ruptures are very rare in greyhounds. I'd suggest a 2nd opinion just for that reason. Glad you're trying to get him to TAMU.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

No, only my vet from OSU. There is a lump about 8 inches down on the inside of his leg that he won't put weight on... Should I take him to the surgical center here and have an ortho look at him or just try to get him to TAMU?

Thank you.

Edited by Hubcitypam

We do. The doctors are really nice and if they are not busy they will sit in on other doctors patients. When I was up there with Rex I got both ortho and neuro for one office call. I will get a referral there. Thank you for being the voice of reason. I'm sort of deconstructing right now.

http://dfwvetsurgeons.com/

The Ortho said when he saw the referral for a greyhound with a torn ACL he said "No way". After examining him he said he has both a torn ACL and a torn meniscus. He said the knee was unstable and the meniscus might be more of a problem than the ACL which is scarring over.. He went to pick the brains of the other surgeons and said they all went "HUH?". He said between all the surgeons in the clinic they had seen ACL tears in one other greyhound. Comfort just had the perfect storm of a wreck on the track.

Any treatment plan, Pam? Does this complicate his surgery?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I don't really have any suggestions, but went through this with my last dog who tore her ACL when she was older, so we opted out of surgery. It eventually caused her other leg to get weaker and that one eventually tore as well. They do sell support braces for dog's to wear with acl injuries, but I don't know how beneficial they are, I have just read of other people using them.

http://www.woundwear.com/home.cfm

Good luck, I hope they can figure out something that works!

Well dang, poor Comfort. Did you get the impression from the docs today that they were leaning toward surgery on meniscus and/or cruciate ligament? I'm guessing some are saying an old cruciate tear can scar over and make knee more stable again?? Not sure if the same is true for meniscus though.

Eager to hear your Dr Josh's explanation and recommendation.

mssiggy2.jpg

The ortho only will do the new school $4K surgery. Dr. Josh wants to do the old school surgery on both the CCL and meniscis at once. He said the meniscus wouldn't take 15 minutes so the price would be the same. We'll schedule surgery as soon as we can.

Edited by Hubcitypam

My old dog tore his ACL. It was a traumatic total rupture (all he was doing was running on a flat grassy surface!). He had a procedure called a TPLO (tibial plateau leveling ostemy). It cost a fortune. He also ended up with a bone infection, and almost died from that. However, rare as his outcome was, he was actually just fine after the infection was cleared up a YEAR after the surgery. It was a tough time. And the total cost was around $10,000, which my darling father paid. All I could have afforded was amputation or euthanasia. Given he was only 5 when it tore, neither was a good option. He was also uninsurable after the diagnosis. Something like 50% of all dogs who tear one will tear the other within 6 months.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Our first mutt Rosie had a torn ACL. Vet said we'd be back in 6 months for the other leg and he was right. If we'd known how relatively easy the recovery was I would have liked to get both legs done at once. fFter the repairs Rosie had no further trouble.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png