Rimadyl For Hind End Weekness?

A friend's elderly greyhound has hind end weakness. It seems to help. Is there a better medication? Accupuncture is not an option.

This old girl has been losing weight and the owner thinks it is probably time to let her go.

Also her 3rd eyelid gets stuck, covering one eye. Vet said it is probably Horner's syndrome.

I haven't seen this dog in a few years but will go see her this evening.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

For pills that help, Brady gets Gabapentin and Robaxin for his hind end and they help. Please let us know how she is, please!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

It depends.

If the weakness has any orgins involving pain that might be resolved with anti inflammatories, then yes, it will help. If the weakness is due to compressed nerves (as with LS), then no, an NSAID like Rimadyl won't help.

Most old dogs have some aches and pains (just like most old humans), so overall, it probably makes her feel better.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I would definetly contiue with a NSAID--Deramaxx or Metacam would be a better choice if her liver values are elevated. I would also introduce gabapentin. I have seen some older, weak, owie dogs really, really benefit from the combination.

I would definetly contiue with a NSAID--Deramaxx or Metacam would be a better choice if her liver values are elevated. I would also introduce gabapentin. I have seen some older, weak, owie dogs really, really benefit from the combination.

My 15 year old whippet is on a combination of Metacam and Gabapentin and is doing well.

Although I haven't tried it yet, I am told that Sasha's Blend is a very good supplement. As soon as I run out of the current supplement I will try switching him to this.

Thanks everybody. I visited "Conni" this evening. I have dogsat for her over the years. She looks old but is not in pain. Her owners were worried that it was time to let her go. I did not see that in her at all. It may happen in a few months since these things are inevitable. A dog who gets up from her bed, remembers me after a few years' absence, and demands some loving, is not a dog ready to go. I understand the owner's concerns all too well.

It was a good visit.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png