Sudden Limp

Our 7 year old, Mimi, suddenly started holding up her rear leg and walking with leg pulled up. Once in a while she would put down and walk, but with a limp. She was fine the night before and had the problem the next morning. To our knowledge she did nothing to cause an injury. We took her to the vet, who x-rayed and examined her. She checked for corns, and injury. Nothing showed up in the xray or examine. One toe and "ankle" are swollen. She gave us pain pills and antibiotic, but that does not seem to have helped. Its been 5 days since the exam. (follow up tomorrow)

NOW our 9 year old, Sam, has started limping on his front leg. Again no sign of injury. It was ok, then suddenly started limping. He's been to the Chiropractor for treatment on his rear end, stenosis Every 3 weeks he gets lazer and chiro treatment on the rear end. She examined his front leg and found nothing, but tried the same treatment on the front, but he is worse today..

I reviewed all the "limping" threads and found nothing like this.

It is frustrating when they can find nothing wrong, but obviously something is

Toe and ankle swollen - any sign of a spider bite?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sudden and holding their leg up is pretty significant. My boy would limp usually only after overexertion (weekend warrior running around off leash when he normally doesn't) and this has been resolved by regular chiropractic treatments. My other boy has corns that don't seem to bother him in the slightest. Every dog reacts to pain differently. Obviously though, yours are uncomfortable and are showing it.

I'd be thinking about something involving the spine like a pinched nerve by the shoulder or perhaps a disc?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest bozicj

When our girl started limping out of nowhere (9-year old) it ended up being osteosarcoma. I agree with 45MPHK9, get Xrays! And get them read by an expert in addition to your normal vet!

I third the x-rays for Sam as unfortunately he is in the age group where Osteo is very high when a limp presents itself. Hopefully it's nothing major but the cost of an x-ray for piece of mind is worth it IMHO. Good thoughts for both your pups as a limp no matter the cause is worrying.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Many prayers for both hounds....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Thank you all for your messages. Mimi had another appt. 4 vets reviewed her xray and nothing on the xray. They checked her feet and still nothing. They took a sample from the swelling, and still nothing. They are stumped. She has started putting her foot down a little bit, but hops most of the time.

Sam has an appointment to be checked.

Guest johnwe

Does she ever drag that foot when she's not limping? by drag I mean not lift it completely off the ground as in her normal walking...

Edited by johnwe

Thank you all for your messages. Mimi had another appt. 4 vets reviewed her xray and nothing on the xray. They checked her feet and still nothing. They took a sample from the swelling, and still nothing. They are stumped. She has started putting her foot down a little bit, but hops most of the time.

Sam has an appointment to be checked.

Again-check for Lyme disease if they haven't already. They could do a very simple in house test and have results in 8 minutes (Idexx's snap 4 Dx test)