New Aussie

Guest Davros

Guest Davros

so i don't know if these things are compulsory or not here but figured i better play it safe and say hi...

new hound owner from Australia, adopted a retired racer who hitch-hiked home from a lure course that i'd taken my belgians to... wasn't going to keep her but she is such a sweetheart i decided she could stay... gets along with all my boys and i seem to have gotten lucky, so far no sleep startle/aggression, resource guarding, space issues, etc... once we got over the issue of my huge set of stairs to get into the house things have been great!

so, here is Kath, doing what she does best, running at Lure coursing...

DSC_0184.jpg

in my sig she caught the lure at the same meet - she is amazingly quick!

the other K9 occupants of the household are my three belgian half-brothers (same sire different dams), two of which come to work with me, as i work security/crowd control on the rail network... but i will try to keep things hound-related here!

looking forward to learning heaps...

Jay

Kath sounds like an angel. And Welcome! We love all dogs here. Besides 3 greyhounds I have a chow/shepherd/husky cross and a Belgian Malinois named Reba. Are your Belgians malinois or shepherds? Reba is an important part of our pack because she is our security and is our "protector extraordinaire" of greyhounds and moms. In the U.S. greyhounds are all to often attacked by other trash dogs people let run free so a protector dog is a very good thing. I was surprised- and I'll bet you were too- at how fast the mali is-she runs with my greyhounds. I later found out that this was a breed characteristic. BTW one of my greyhounds is an Aussie! Gilly Boy is a big black beautiful fella that is 100% Aussie bred- his dad is Addis Boy. I don't have to tell you how wonderful he is. He's very laid back.

Edited by racindog

Guest Davros

thanks for the welcomes!

my belgians (all malinois) are quick, but they have nothing on Kath...

i can't let my eldest boy out with the younger two, he is too grumpy (and somewhat dog aggressive, but Kath is ok 'cause she's a girly, hehe)... he gets some supervised quiet time with Kath but i don't allow any exuberant play between the two...

but when i let her out with the younger boys it's hilarious... the youngest likes to 'herd' my middle boy and will run around him in circles like a dork... but Kath has taken to running after the youngest and he doesn't like it when he gets his own back! he tries to out-run her but she is just too quick.... it's becoming a game of chasey now! she tries to play with my middle boy but he's not really sure what's going on, and will stand there with an 'i don't like this game' look on his face while she is play-bowing like crazy... he has excellent bite inhibition though and never over-reacts to situations so i am not worried about them together... and i now whack lightweight hound muzzles on everyone when they are playing, as Kath goes for the bite-over-the-back trick and the boys don't like it... this way even if things get a little rough no one can hurt each other : )

thanks for the welcomes!

my belgians (all malinois) are quick, but they have nothing on Kath...

i can't let my eldest boy out with the younger two, he is too grumpy (and somewhat dog aggressive, but Kath is ok 'cause she's a girly, hehe)... he gets some supervised quiet time with Kath but i don't allow any exuberant play between the two...

but when i let her out with the younger boys it's hilarious... the youngest likes to 'herd' my middle boy and will run around him in circles like a dork... but Kath has taken to running after the youngest and he doesn't like it when he gets his own back! he tries to out-run her but she is just too quick.... it's becoming a game of chasey now! she tries to play with my middle boy but he's not really sure what's going on, and will stand there with an 'i don't like this game' look on his face while she is play-bowing like crazy... he has excellent bite inhibition though and never over-reacts to situations so i am not worried about them together... and i now whack lightweight hound muzzles on everyone when they are playing, as Kath goes for the bite-over-the-back trick and the boys don't like it... this way even if things get a little rough no one can hurt each other : )

That's funny-I'll bet it is greyt fun to watch them. All mine are always muzzled with those plastic basket type hound muzzles too, it even fits the mali. You know how devastating a maligator can be if they are pushed and the hounds definitely need muzzles. Learned a long time ago everybody gets muzzled lol. Reba doesn't try to herd anybody but her competitive nature definitely keeps her engaged and honestly the hounds do have to exert themselves to beat her. Just the other day she beat Gilly Boy to the fence because she was so focused and in the flow and determined and he run like he must have raced-not very determined and kind of laid back lol. Its pretty much a game of chase here too with her taking off after the hounds when they get to running. I love to watch them both run. The gait is different but is equally impressive. The hounds extra weight can knock the only 60# mali around some at high speed. Once at high speed greyhound Bobber somehow knocked Reba down and Reba rolled over a couple times real fast got back on her feet and kept going. Another time Reba hit that big male greyhound Gilly Boy at high speed and was tossed way up in the air; did an amazing twist/turn in the air like a cat; and landed on her feet. They make quite the pack don't they?

Edited by racindog

Welcome. I am from Colorado, USA. My Samlur is a couch potato most of the time. He does enjoy outrunning my Border Collie, Molly, who has figured how to run the other way and head Samlur off at the pass so to speak.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

:wave Welcome Jay & Kath! I look forward to seeing more photos of your lovely girl and hearing all her! Be sure to post pictures of your Belgians in Off Topic too! :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Welcome from Ontario...as you can see, loving greyhounds is a global love.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest DragonflyDM

Welcome from Pittsburgh. Where in Oz are you from? And might I infer that you are a Whovian with that nick?

I still love my Aussies, despite my recent past! :)

Guest Davros

thanks again : )

dogs overall are pretty cool creatures, but it is definitely awesome to watch the different breeds interacting!!

i knew hounds made good pets and had been trying to talk my mother into getting one, should she ever be ready for another dog (she lost her 12yo belgian cross a few years back, now has the clumsiest cat on the planet)... but i'll be honest and say they weren't my first choice for a "pet only" dog - the belgians are workers, and even the one who doesn't usually come to work per se has his function, he is our demo dog because he looks the part and knows all the training but is a big bloody sook LOL - would have made someone an excellent schutzhund or ringsport dog, but just doesn't seem to have that little bit of nasty a working street dog needs...

Kath just waltzed in (after we conquered the stairs!) and made herself at home... and she fits in so well : )

i'll post a few more pics of her in the cute and funny section for you... and i'll see if i can dig up one that has all 3 belgians in one photo to put in off topic for those who wanted to see them too...

and yes, to whoever asked (sorry, terrible short-term memory LOL), i guess you could call me a Whovian... i definitely like the show but usually can't watch it when it's actually on telly - am always at work... have to wait for a friend to get around to 'acquiring' a copy for me because i have useless internets >_< one of these days i will be able to afford a box set of the original series... have not seen any of them but i definitely want to!

Welcome from lower Delaware. I was wondering also about letting them run together. Have you thought about muzzles. Better safe than sorry. Even greyhounds have bit greyhounds while running together.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Davros

thanks, i do have muzzles for them now when they are zooming about being twits... : )

pics are up in Off Topic and Cute & Funny... i'm sure clever people like yourselves can find them!

Guest Davros

work usually gets in the way of that sort of thing anwyay, sigh

Kath gets to have a run around with my Decoy's GF's hound when i take the belgians to training, and gets to see her sister when we go to a lure course - so she has a couple of hound-friends at least : )

cheers for all the welcomes!

edit for spelling...

Edited by Davros