Feeding Raw: Is It O.k. To Add In "fillers"?

Bonnie's been on a complete (nutritionally balanced) pre-made raw diet for a couple of weeks now. For the first couple of days, she seemed to be looking for more to eat, even though she was eating the max for her size/activity level (1 lb. twice a day). So at every meal, I've been adding in a cup of a filler mixture I make up, which is cooked brown rice, green tripe and baked sweet potato. This has done the trick, as now she seems content, but my concern is, could this raw and filler mix have an impact on her digestive system?

I've read that when feeding raw, you shouldn't also feed a kibble. But because kibble is grain based, and my home-made filler is also grain based, I'm worried the effects would be the same. On the other hand, my home-made filler has not gone through any kind of processing, and all the ingredients are "pure". Do you think my adding in the brown rice mixture is okay? Her poops are always well-formed unless she's over-indulged at the grass buffet. Thanks!

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

I would just add that my crew don't feel as satisfied when they eat a meal that doesn't involve chomping on bones. For example, I can give them a pound of tripe or muscle meat or ground fish and they gulp it down and then wander around looking for dinner. However, if I give them a one pound turkey neck or chicken quarter, it takes longer to eat and they are happy to finish and take a nap. Maybe your girl is the same?

I only feed my toothless wonder pre-ground food since he cannot chew anything.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I agree with dante2zoe. I've always fed bones so they don't know any better, but no matter how much I fed them without bones, they too would still be hungry. Or think they were. LOL

If she still seems hungry, you could feed her more raw. If not the premade, then some ground beef, cottage cheese, eggs. (Depending on how much you feed, you may want to add in some ground eggshell powder.) In your fillers, I would eliminate the kibble. Sweet potatoes have fiber & minerals & vitamins but rice is pretty useless.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Thanks everyone; so relieved to hear that the "no raw & kibble together" rule is a myth. I would like to introduce other grains like barley and quinoa for a change of pace and I'd even like to give her eggs and cottage cheese, that sweetdogs mentioned. Now I can relax and not wonder if I'm being a bad greyhound mama.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Guest Scarter55

We give Lady raw (mostly chicken necks), kibble, dairy, and grain/veggie mixes (not all at the same time!) and she does wonderfully. I'm hoping be able to eliminate the kibble and go fully home prepped meals at some point if I can find the time. I mix the grains with lighly steamed veggies (she didn't always eat the raw veggies) and she loves that. I switch up the grains constantly, brown rice, oats, quinoa, and we just keep all of our left over veggies in the freezer (like broccoli stems, etc) to mix in there. I find it works quite well and Lady really likes it.

We have had no problems feed both.

Our guys get fed raw twice a day and they also get a kibble snack....sometimes it's at lunch, sometimes at bed time.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg