What Are They Looking For?

Guest Scarter55

Guest Scarter55

I am always somewhat fascinated (don't judge) watching Lady sniff around the yard looking for the perfect place to go potty. I'm legitimately curious what she is looking for, why some spots get rejected. Just thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone has any theories on the subject, or if I'm just crazy.

It's funny, isn't it? Nope, not here, nope not here, nope nope, ok HERE is where I shall pee!

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I think they like to pee where another dog has peed.

Not all dogs do this...Nixon does it all the time. Ruby hardly ever.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest greyhound_bug

We used to joke that Simon needed a newspaper because he took soooo long to find the perfect spot. I have no idea why one spot to poop or pee can be so hard to find in a decent sized backyard. If ya gotta go, just go LOL. Silly pups.

Guest Gillybear

I always wondered about this too. Even in our own yard, where few other dogs peed, Gill would spend forever finding just the right spot.

Guest psdirector

We love watching when our two boys decide to do a tandem pee, one right behind the other, each lifting his leg in the exact same way. OR when one waits to pee on the exact same spot the other just peed on. Crazy stuff!

I don't know, but Sophie seems to choose the most inaccessible places - under a spiky shrub (ouch!) or in the middle of a clump of flowers for example. She takes forever to select the perfect spot and then has multiple goes at achieving her mission - I think the record is 37!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Desi drives me absolutely crazy. Last pee-call before bed is on leash in a specific corner of the yard (convenient from the door, I can slip out in

bathrobe if necessary). That silly boy will walk in circles around & around, hunting a spot; even "assuming the posture" then deciding

Nope, not here, and off on another round. Sometimes I think he's hunting for a "clean" spot...somewhere he's never sprinkled before.

Silly hounds.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

OY! Drives me nuts! No clue why THIS spot is bad and a spot a foot away is just right. :dunno

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I don't know, but Sophie seems to choose the most inaccessible places - under a spiky shrub (ouch!) or in the middle of a clump of flowers for example. She takes forever to select the perfect spot and then has multiple goes at achieving her mission - I think the record is 37!

Oh yeah, Beth loves to go ON something if it's available (clumps of hostas are popular in the summer), or if she comes to a spot where the footing is different (like someone's garden, wood chips, dried leaves, etc.) I'm talking about on walks here. She's even pickier about poop spots, and drives me virtually to distraction when there's snow and ice.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I think they play a game of cards in their silly heads and their own previous can be trumped by a Jack or Queen. But another dog's... that's so serious it requires an Ace to do it ... hence they have to get it right before all the high cards are used up! :flip

Guest Giselle

I think they play a game of cards in their silly heads and their own previous can be trumped by a Jack or Queen. But another dog's... that's so serious it requires an Ace to do it ... hence they have to get it right before all the high cards are used up! :flip

This is actually a very accurate description of what's probably going on in their heads.

There have been a couple studies that observe dog's urination patterns, and they found really interesting stuff. In dogs, they exhibit really interesting "marking over" (peeing over other dogs' urine) behavior. There's a difference in who marks over what. I can't remember what the specific patterns were, but they were able to observe difference in how dogs perceive the urine of: intact females, spayed females, intact males, and neutered males. Their sexual status determined who they marked over, and some dogs get marked over way more than others. I think, for example, they noticed that the urine of neutered males isn't seen as a threat and so isn't marked over as much. I need to check the paper again, but I'm pretty sure that was one of the neat findings. Intact males treated the urine of neutered males as non threatening and/or ambiguous.

So, dogs get a lot of information from urine. It's really good mental enrichment :)

Agree with John and Giselle. Our senior broodie watches and waits for our unrelated female omega Greyhound to pee first. Broodie MUST then pee over omega's spot. Interestingly, broodie does not pee over her own (mature female) offspring's spots. Neutered males are no problem for broodie and don't need to be trumped. If leash walking off our property, all dogs' pee-mail is up for her interpretation/markovers.

My Jax used to whine up a storm as he was trying to find that perfect spot; then ,just when he found it he would get all into position to poop or pee and then,"Oh, this is just not right!" and the wining and searching would start all over.He was such a funny, goofy hound.

Guest Waterdog66

I noticed something very interesting today.

Our hound is still very new and we have designated a part of our front yard for potty stops. She has been doing great and will circle around a bit before doing her business. I think the idea of going On-Leash new for her and found that she has a much easier time if I turn the other way while she is sniffing around and doing her business.

What was interesting is that I had her out in the yard today and my neighbor was standing there admiring Audrey. (it was his first time seeing her) After about 5 minutes of he and I chatting she started to whine and continued to do so until he left and went back in side.

Then she quickly finished her circle pattern and releived herself. I think she was more than a bit put off by the fact that he was there in HER space staring at her. (I turned away to let her finish)

She really has figured out this spot is her normal potty area....

Piper's ritual used to amuse me...he'd make a bee line for the fence on the right side of the yard and trot up and down the long fence line again and again looking for the perfect spot. He'd stop, assume the position, change his mind and be off at the trot again until he finally settled on where to go.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Jayne's pretty efficient when it comes to doing her business. In her potty yard she runs the perimeter a few times to get things moving, but then she faces the fence and poops inward. Which is great for me, the poos are all in a line and since it's inside her running path she never steps in it. She also generally pees in the same spot too.