Question About Heartworm And Tick Meds

We are going to GIG this year and I'm wondering if ticks remain a problem in PA. Did the cold winter reduce their numbers or do they still remain a problem there?

Secondly, does everyone test their pups for heartworm each year? I imagine your answer may depend on how prevelant they are in your area. We use Revolution for 6 months of the year from May - Nov, and I don't have an issue with this, I'm just wondering if yearly testing is necessary.

Do you have a preference, e.g. Interceptor vs Revolution? I'm considering ordering Revolution from petmeds in Australia since it is about 1/2 the price I pay at my vet's office.

TIA

Jan

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I use Ivomec and have for over 10 years with no problems. A bottle lasts me forever. My dogs are teated yearly but we live in the south. I always treat my dogs for fleas and ticks whenever we attend an event where there are lots of other dogs that they come in contact with.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Most vets will not prescribe heartworm meds without first testing the dog because giving the med to a dog that is heartworm-positive is dangerous for the dog. Thus, my vet requires an annual heartworm test. My guys take heartworm meds year-round.

I vastly prefer Interceptor (with Frontline Plus), but Interceptor has not been available for more than a year because of manufacturing issues. Lately, we've been using Advantage Multi (heartworm plus fleas). It's a topical, so we haven't had the intestinal problems triggered by Heartgard Plus.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Most vets will not prescribe heartworm meds without first testing the dog because giving the med to a dog that is heartworm-positive is dangerous for the dog. Thus, my vet requires an annual heartworm test. My guys take heartworm meds year-round.

I vastly prefer Interceptor (with Frontline Plus), but Interceptor has not been available for more than a year because of manufacturing issues. Lately, we've been using Advantage Multi (heartworm plus fleas). It's a topical, so we haven't had the intestinal problems triggered by Heartgard Plus.

It's official, Interceptor will not be made in the US. (see the post about Interceptor in H&M)

My vet tests every 2 years if the dog is on preventative year around. Evidently this is a growing protocol.

I'd really like someone to explain the theory that giving a HW+ dog Heartgard is so dangerous. My neighbor Jesus has a lab that is around 13 and HW positive. He does not have money for Immmicide and the dog is old for a lab so he has been on heartgard religiously for 2 years or so per my vet and is hale and hearty. Many of the all breeds here also choose to do Ivermectin in older HW+ dogs both for cost and concern for the shock Immmicde gives to the dogs system.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I think the issue is that a HW+ dog needs to be on restricted activity for safety, and if the dog hasn't been tested--so that the owner doesn't know the dog is HW+--giving the dog meds and letting it run around like usual can be dangerous. I know when any of the dogs coming to SEGA turns out to be HW+, there's a limited activity/leash-walk only protocol set up.

Dogs can be on the preventative, but I think the folks in charge of setting up protocols are worried about the possibility that a dog didn't get all the meds it was supposed to get and thus might be vulnerable. Maybe a dog running around outside upchucked a tablet when mom wasn't looking. I know one owner who gave her dog an Interceptor, and saw the tablet reappear--whole and complete--in her dog's poop.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest WhiteWave

Use ivomec monthly. Rarely ever test unless dogs are getting bloodwork and it is included.

For fleas I use Comfortis and preventatic collars for ticks if we are going somewhere were I know ticks are prevelant. I put the collar on a day or so before hand and leave them on for a day or two after, then seal in a ziploc bag. I don't have ticks in my yard and see no reason to keep the collars on them 24/7.

I use K9 Advantix II -- it does the fleas as well as more ticks than any other product that I can find. I used to use Advantage or Revolution but, now that I have Summer and I travel into the US more often, the ticks freak me out so I like to have a tick product. I start her on this depending on when my first US trip is. She also gets Heartguard for 6 months out of the year (June-November). I don't test her yearly for heartworm, I do every 2nd year. My understanding is, though, that if you DON'T test for heartworm for the season that you are giving the heartworm product, that the company will not guarantee it or honor any kind of claim if your dog becomes heartworm+ (i.e. they won't pay for the treatment).

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Jan to answer your actual question--ticks down here are going to be horrific--I'm seeing them already. Revolution doesn't cover ticks as you know. To keep it simple in your situation you might want to continue with the revolution and add a preventic collar prior to your arrival :-). Have fun at GIG!

Edited to add--because this is tick central our clinic runs a snap 4dx yearly (checking for tbd & hwt)

Edited by tbhounds

Guest 2greys2cats

I use K9 Advantix II -- it does the fleas as well as more ticks than any other product that I can find. I used to use Advantage or Revolution but, now that I have Summer and I travel into the US more often, the ticks freak me out so I like to have a tick product. I start her on this depending on when my first US trip is. She also gets Heartguard for 6 months out of the year (June-November). I don't test her yearly for heartworm, I do every 2nd year. My understanding is, though, that if you DON'T test for heartworm for the season that you are giving the heartworm product, that the company will not guarantee it or honor any kind of claim if your dog becomes heartworm+ (i.e. they won't pay for the treatment).

I thought heart worms are spread with Mosquitos. Mosquitos are out before June....just wondering why you don't treat earlier than June...

It is common here to treat heartworm only for the warmer months (June-Oct.). Also, if I am not mistaken heartworm meds work on a retroactive basis, killing heartworm larvae from the previous 30-60 days. It can depend on your area, some start in May, but I know where I am heartworm is extremely rare.

It is common here to treat heartworm only for the warmer months (June-Oct.). Also, if I am not mistaken heartworm meds work on a retroactive basis, killing heartworm larvae from the previous 30-60 days. It can depend on your area, some start in May, but I know where I am heartworm is extremely rare.

:nod You are correct, it's 60 days which is why we start end of May or in June, depending on how early spring starts here in ON.

We picked ticks off Holly after a walk yesterday. Ticks are definitely still a huge problem here in PA.

thanks Tricia...I was hoping the winter would have reduced numbers, but I guess not. We'll use our flea and tick meds before we get to GIG.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

From what I understand,heartworm preventatives only kill 1st stage heartworm larae; it will not kill the adult heartworms.I'm guessing that they are giving that older lab the preventative to keep the number of adult heartworms he has from increasing.

From what I understand,heartworm preventatives only kill 1st stage heartworm larae; it will not kill the adult heartworms.I'm guessing that they are giving that older lab the preventative to keep the number of adult heartworms he has from increasing.

Heartworm preventatives don't kill the adult heartworms, but certain preventatives (ivermectin-based) do shorten the lifespan of the adult heartworms. If not on one of these preventatives, adult heartworms can live 4-7 years. If the dog is kept on an ivermectin-based preventative (like Heartgard), they won't get any more heartworms, and the ones they have usually die after 18-24 months. With the more recent addition of doxycycline, it may be faster than that.

This is a protocol we use a lot for clients who can't afford Immiticide, or dogs that aren't good candidates for treatment. The main concerns with this approach is that for as long as the worms are there, they can cause damage to the heart and lungs; there is always the risk of the dog developing an pulmonary embolism (clot in the lungs) whenever worms die; and increased risk of creating strains of heartworms that are resistant to the preventative.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg