Nose Losing Pigment And Ears Scabby

My Greyhound, Po, has pigment loss on her nose and it doesn't seem to subside. I received an ointment from the vet (can't remember the name-Will post it later) and it has minimal effect. Her ears have 2 "spots" on the same location of each ear. It is a dry, scabby spot. In the photo it is in the small flap area of each ear-Exactly the same place.

The nose issue began 6 months ago with a slight redness on top of the nose and got progressively worse. I have moved her outdoor bed under a tree and it seems to help a little. The vet advised that it was similar to "Collie" nose and told me to return if it didn't get better. Obviously, I will do that soon.

She eats Taste of the Wild - Bison and Venison and boiled chicken thighs. She is 5 years old.

She has also been diagnosed with Pannus and takes compounded drops for that.

Any information anyone can provide will be appreciated. Thanks

Po+001.JPG024.JPG023.JPGPo+005.JPGPo+002.JPG

The nose reminds me of a lupus, pemphigus, or SLO kinda thing.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Is she eating/drinking out of plastic bowls? My Ridgeback developed similar lesions on his nose from contact with plastic bowls. Switching to stainless steel did the trick.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest CFPWonder

My greyhound, Wonder, was diagnosed with discoid lupus about a year ago. Her nose is pink like that and dry and scaly. Our vet did a biopsy to confirm that's what she has. This sounds a lot like that to me. Also, with lupus, they should not spend a lot of time in the sun. Good luck!

She is on docycylene (sp?), and niacinimide and Vitamin E to help control it.

Guest CFPWonder

Thought I would add.... all of the greyhounds I know of (about 3 besides mine) who have had lupus have been black. Maybe just a coincidence... but makes you wonder.

Carolina's nose looks the same way. We skipped the biopsy, it was a given it's an autoimmune issue and controlling the symptoms uses the same medication.

Carolina is on niacinimide. It's worse for her in cold weather.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

:nod It's a form of lupus. My Pinky had those same symptoms.

Grain free diet (TOTW Pacific Stream), tetracycline, niacinamide, Vitamin E, and Omega 3's helped keep her nose from the painful peeling and eliminated the scaling in her ears.

You've caught it early-should be fairly easy to get it under control. Pinky's had gone untreated for years before I got her.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

These were the first symptoms Robin had when he was finally diagnosed with pemphigus foliaceus.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France