Stud Tail

Guest jettcricket

Guest jettcricket

Hi All...wanted to ask a quick question on "stud tail". My boy Dave has always had a small patch of hair missing on his mid tail section and the skin is dark although his belly is dark too. I just noticed today that there's a bit more hair loss. I goggled it and it said that it could be a sign of hypothyroidism or an underlying medical condition. The pictures that they showed looked much worse than Dave's with redness and large areas of hair loss. He seems fine and there's no redness or irritation. Should I be concerned? Dave just turned 8 in December. TIA!

Summit has a patch of hair missing from his tail. Always has and I suspect always will. The skin looks totally normal and it never causes him any problems. He is not hypothyroid (well, not for a greyhound anyway).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Sam is hypothyroid--has been forever--and it hasn't had any impact on his stud tail. I think as long as Dave's bare spot doesn't irritate him--or seem inflamed--it's probably fine.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

our Rainey had that too, and was diagnosed as (truly, Dr. Couto conferred) low thyroid at age 10. She may have been before that, not sure....

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

mh.. should every hound with a section of fur missing on the tail be thyroid tested? (I notice a section without fur on Otis tail a few weeks back :unsure )

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Stud tail is normal, no reason to thyroid test. As long as skin isn't red, swollen, bleeding, etc., it's normal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wouldn't worry about it. All three of mine have stud-tail. The fur density there changes at this time of year and tends to thin out. In a few months, they'll thicken up again and perhaps regrow some of the hair. I have noticed that the coarseness of the hair around the gland is much different than the rest of their bodies... intriguing.

I don't think it's a very good indicator of thyroid issues in greys. ;) angel Atlas had hypothyroidism (caught later in life; and ended up being a symptom of CHF), and his stud tail was no different looking than any of the others in our house.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest jettcricket

Both of mine are hypothyroid and get medication for it. It has not made their stud tail go away, but melatonin has (not giving melatonin for stud tail, but a nice side effect).

Yes...I've used melatonin too. Dave's fur got so thick! The only problem that I found with it, is once I stop using it, his coat blew out like crazy! Hair every where...so I stopped.

Wouldn't worry about it. All three of mine have stud-tail. The fur density there changes at this time of year and tends to thin out. In a few months, they'll thicken up again and perhaps regrow some of the hair. I have noticed that the coarseness of the hair around the gland is much different than the rest of their bodies... intriguing.

I don't think it's a very good indicator of thyroid issues in greys. ;) angel Atlas had hypothyroidism (caught later in life; and ended up being a symptom of CHF), and his stud tail was no different looking than any of the others in our house.

Ditto. Don't worry about it. I've had several with stud tail and some hypothyroids-never observed any connection.

Guest jettcricket

Ditto. Don't worry about it. I've had several with stud tail and some hypothyroids-never observed any connection.

Again...thanks! I wasn't overly concerned....just needed some assurance.