All I Learned From Gt

I'm constantly amazed at all I've learned from GT. I'm able to interpret dog behavior (better than I used to, anyway) and I can discuss medication options with a new vet well enough that they wonder if I'm in a related field.... (then I had to admit to the crazy greyhound website I belong to and that I read A LOT of it).

And today, I confirmed that I can handle my own when it comes to bandaging a boo-boo that a few years ago would probably have had me at the vet. :yay

I came home today to find that Robin had somehow managed to injure himself while I was gone at work. I didn't notice at first, but then I saw a smear of blood on a pillow on my bed. Closer inspection revealed that the dark fleece bedcover I use to keep Robin-grossness out of my bed is covered in blood. So I track down Robin and inspect him, and finally find it. A cut about an inch long, vertical, along the front of his leg right before it bends to be what is technically the foot. The whole leg is covered in smeared and dried blood, so it is obvious that it happened a while ago and he has been licking it all day. (I also found a little bit of pink vomit on the floor that supports this theory.)

It's a bit deeper than his typical scrapes, and while I was pondering what to do, it started bleeding as he stood there--full drops of blood going all over my bedroom carpet, and even on Robin's white "socks". My rug looked like a murder scene for a little bit there....

I considered being lazy and heading to the vet so someone could clean it up and wrap it. But then my GT training kicked in and I decided I should at least try to do it myself before throwing away about $70, especially as it is in a spot that won't take to stitches or staples most likely, even if it were big enough for them. (It is on the front edge of the leg, going vertically down.) So I dug up a cloth and some water, neosporin, a non-adhesive pad, and some vet wrap, and took care of "the patient". I think I did a good job, and he seems okay with it. My only concern is that I think the nature of the cut, being on the front edge of the leg and all, means that it will be hard to heal. But I will give it a shot. I'm going to pick up some gauze pads (or maybe a roll) when I go out later, as the nonabsorbent pad was the only one I had--a random thing in the medicine cabinet.

Anyway, I'm proud of my handiwork! Let's hope it heals....

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

If you need to,

to help hold the edges closed. This is good on a wound that has smooth edges and is long but is not particularly deep.

You might leave the current bandage for a while to see how it goes, but keep the butterfly in mind for later.

(And he gets a kiss and a cookie after bandaging.)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

my foster got 70 stitches in his leg two weeks before i got him.

I have been using manuka honey on the wound which is still open in spots. The vet was very impressed when she saw it this week. Smother the wound with the honey, put on a non stick pad and wrap it up.

Many discussions on here about manuka honey. My vet is now recommending it to her clients.

my foster got 70 stitches in his leg two weeks before i got him.

I have been using manuka honey on the wound which is still open in spots. The vet was very impressed when she saw it this week. Smother the wound with the honey, put on a non stick pad and wrap it up.

Many discussions on here about manuka honey. My vet is now recommending it to her clients.

This sounds like what I did, but with neosporin. Where does one buy manuka honey, in a pinch?

I got the nonstick pads--at some point I realized that was a good idea. And there's a Whole Foods right near me so I can get manuka honey tomorrow if I need it. Right now I can't decide if I should change the dressing or leave it. It's only been 4 hours.... I guess I should leave it to let it heal, yes?

I really want to know what he was doing here while I was at work! He usually doesn't even get off the bed for water during the day!

Hope he heals quickly and completely.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Great feeling of accomplishment, isn't it :) Sallie has a hot spot she won't leave alone, so I have been covering it with a non stick pad and vet wrap. It wasn't healing as fast as I thought it should, so I've started putting Manuka honey on it. Wonderful stuff! I change the bandage about once a day.

(And he gets a kiss and a cookie after bandaging.)

I think Robin owes you a kiss and a cookie after bandaging him! Good for you!

One suggestion -- many wounds heal better if they are exposed to air to keep them from getting wet and gunky. Maybe when you're home tomorrow evening and could supervise him you could try taking it off for a while?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter