Rimadyl

This was just posted on GD

In March 2013, a court settlement was reached between the owners of a Golden Retriever who died of Rimadyl toxicity and Pfizer. The proceeds from this settlement are being used to maintain the website

Friends of Sophie

The pain medication Rimadyl is often dispensed by vet clinics in repackaged bottles that are not accompanied by pamphlets which would list cautions and possible side effects, therefore "Friends of Sophie" is a must-read for owners of dogs, especially those of senior dogs.

I am just cross posting this so everyone is aware of this, but remember thousands and thousands of dogs are given Rimadyl with no problem and I don't want to panic anyone.

Just be aware that's all.

Dick

I just went through this with my hound, Ranger. A couple of months ago he started limping and off to the vet we went. X-rays showed no cancer so the vet thought it was a sprain or pulled muscle and gave him Rimadyl because they were out of Deramax.

A few days later Ranger just wasn't acting himself and off to the Evet we went because of course it was a Friday night after his regular vet was closed. His liver values and other counts were off the chart, had a temp of 104 and he spent the next three days in the hospital. The connection to him taking Rimadyl didn't come up and they tested him for parasites, infections, and everything under the sun. All results came back clean but his liver wasn't responding. With all the IVs and liver meds they gave him he eventually started getting better.

When he came out of the hospital I took him to his regular vet for follow up and after she read all the test results she made a connection to him having been on the Rimadyl and said the only thing she could think was he had a toxicity to the it. She said she had only seen it three times before and each time it was with a Labrador. But nothing else seemed to fit the symptoms and Ranger had never had Rimadyl before, always Deramax.

After weeks of medication and special food, thankfully he made a full recovery and there was no permanant damage. But this is definitely something to be aware of and none of my dogs will take Rimadyl in the future. It might be okay but I'm gun shy now and would be terrified to take that chance again.

Both of mine have taken it with no problem, and I always have some in the house. My vet tests liver function if they need to be on it for any length of time, so I feel very comfortable using it. BUT I'm going to go have a look at the site you linked to so I can be ultra careful/paranoid fom now on!

Guest zombrie

Thanks for posting this. I heard that Rimadyl is not good long term. We had to make the decision to put my GSD on it for life (she could barely walk before being on it), she's been on it for a few months but it's good to know the potential warning signs.

This brings up an important point about not receiving manufacturer's pamphlets for veterinary medications. (A long problematic issue for me.) I've developed a habit of looking up all veterinary medications for general info. and side effects before administering medications to our hounds at home. One excellent on-line site is Veterinary Partner.

Veterinary Partner's link re: Rimadyl: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=623

Our hounds have usually done fine on Rimadyl; however, one of ours did begin bleeding internally from Rimadyl. I noticed it quickly, notified the vet, and stopped her Rimadyl immediately.

Thanks for posting. The Friends of Sophie site is actually a pretty good one and not like the various extreme 'Rimadyl kills and should never be used' sites that are out there. No prescription medication should be taken for granted and used without an awareness of potential side effects, so this is important information to know.

I do want to point out that side effects from Rimadyl are pretty uncommon and are more likely to be GI signs or more chronic effects on the liver and kidneys with long-term use. The acute, severe liver problems seen in some dogs (mostly labs) is believed to be idiosyncratic and is even more rare. It seems like this is what happened with Sophie, and possibly with Ranger above.

It's stated on the site that: "As a result of numerous reports and lawsuits over the use of this drug, Pfizer now warns pet owners of the possible side effects of Rimadyl® use."

The potential adverse effects have always been on the label. While the reports and lawsuits may have drawn attention to them and made vets emphasize them more, the information has always been there, as it is for any other FDA approved drug on the market.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

The potential adverse effects have always been on the label. While the reports and lawsuits may have drawn attention to them and made vets emphasize them more, the information has always been there, as it is for any other FDA approved drug on the market.

The problem, I think, is that most vets put Rimadyl in their own little prescription bottles with instructions and a "give with food" note. I've rarely gotten any meds from vets that came with the manufacturer's warnings. My Walgreens, on the other hand, prints out the whole page of fine print on every prescription refill, and even makes the info available in multiple languages. Unfortunately, Rimadyl being canine-specific, it's not available at Walgreens.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest tasha

Just want to pat my clinic on the back-we always give drug monographs with dispensed medications--but, most of our clients just toss them aside :-(

Just wanted to give you a pat on the back as well :) I'm an RVT and I've actually never worked anywhere that hands out monographs with our scripts - hmmm.... I think I'll be talking to my boss about that tomorrow am!

All NSAIDs come with potential issues. Metacam is much more prescribed here, at least in my experience, than Rimidyl, because it is generally regarded as safer. Yet my Jaynie was one of the "susceptible" dogs who went into acute kidney failure following a loading dose administered by injection following her spay (a practice my clinic has now discontinued). In "susceptible" dogs, Metacam accelerates the depressive effect of anaesthetics on vital organs including the kidneys.

On the other hand, my whippet tolerates Metacam well, but did not tolerate Rimidyl. Moral of the story based on my experience:

- discuss pain management before any surgery and disallow administration of any NSAID until the dog is completely recovered from anaesthesia and

- follow instructions, particularly about administering with food, and, if there are intolerance symptoms, stop whatever you are giving

- remember there is a washout period before switching from one NSAID to another - you can give tramadol or another non-NSAID pain management drug recommended by your vet in the meantime; won't have anti-inflammatory benefits, but will help with pain management.

Edited by Rickiesmom

One of my vets does not use it at all in his practice because HE said it causes 'liver problems in too many dogs.' I figure if a "regular" vet feels this way even though many many regular vets use it like water then that tells me something. Its always been on my do not use list.

I've rarely gotten any meds from vets that came with the manufacturer's warnings.

This is against FDA rules. The FDA says "the vets are the weakest link" regarding not informing patients of the side effects of rimadyl (and I'm sure other NSAIDs)

Some dogs have died from as little as two doses. As I mention ever year on the anniversary of Eliza's death: be aware of the side effects of all the meds you give. I know so many greys who lived because the owners knew the side effects and pulled them off the med immediately.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Just want to pat my clinic on the back-we always give drug monographs with dispensed medications--but, most of our clients just toss them aside :-(

Just wanted to give you a pat on the back as well :) I'm an RVT and I've actually never worked anywhere that hands out monographs with our scripts - hmmm.... I think I'll be talking to my boss about that tomorrow am!

Agreed, tbhounds! Your office is the first I've heard/read that provides drug data. At least your clients might remember to read it if they notice an obvious problem.

I don't recall receiving drug data from any veterinary offices, even after asking for it.

This is against FDA rules. The FDA says "the vets are the weakest link" regarding not informing patients of the side effects of rimadyl (and I'm sure other NSAIDs)

Some dogs have died from as little as two doses. As I mention ever year on the anniversary of Eliza's death: be aware of the side effects of all the meds you give. I know so many greys who lived because the owners knew the side effects and pulled them off the med immediately.

Scary that the FDA views this as a problem too. I hope more people will request drug data from their veterinary providers.

Guest grey_dreams

That would include us, thanks to you. When Zuki started to have an adverse reaction after I started giving him Rimadyl, all of a sudden I remembered your post and had to come here and look it up again. Then I (finally) did my own research, and stopped giving it to him. He recovered within a couple of days. Thank you for that Diane.

It was a lesson for me. Now, I always research anything the vet prescribes and check for possible side-effects.

This is true of previcox also. We almost lost our 6 mo old westie at Christmas after her spay. Vet had given her previcox. After the last dose, she got so sick - she was vomiting and having big D several times an hour. She was also very lethargic - which is not like a westie puppy at all.

Did research on the internet, called the e-vet, but took her to our regular vet. He did bloodwork, came in to say the good news is she's a strong little puppy. But she had a reaction to the previcox and only time would tell. Her bloodwork was good, her liver values were just a little elevated. Take her home and pray. She was allowed a teaspoon of water every hour and a teaspoon of food every three hours. Which she would not eat, no matter what we fed her. It was a week before we knew she would live and by then I was afraid she'd just die from lack of food and waste away.

Her vet records include "ABSOLUTELY NO RIMADYL OR PREVICOX EVER" and vet said we'd most likely use a liquid metacam on her in future. I consider the fact that she lived my Christmas present from God.

If you give your dog rimadyl or previcox and they start to throw up, stop IMMEDIATELY. Do not take the chance. Do not think it's just a tummy upset. It could be or it could be the start of a much more serious, possibly deadly, illness.

This is true of previcox also. We almost lost our 6 mo old westie at Christmas after her spay. Vet had given her previcox. After the last dose, she got so sick - she was vomiting and having big D several times an hour. She was also very lethargic - which is not like a westie puppy at all.

Did research on the internet, called the e-vet, but took her to our regular vet. He did bloodwork, came in to say the good news is she's a strong little puppy. But she had a reaction to the previcox and only time would tell. Her bloodwork was good, her liver values were just a little elevated. Take her home and pray. She was allowed a teaspoon of water every hour and a teaspoon of food every three hours. Which she would not eat, no matter what we fed her. It was a week before we knew she would live and by then I was afraid she'd just die from lack of food and waste away.

Her vet records include "ABSOLUTELY NO RIMADYL OR PREVICOX EVER" and vet said we'd most likely use a liquid metacam on her in future. I consider the fact that she lived my Christmas present from God.

If you give your dog rimadyl or previcox and they start to throw up, stop IMMEDIATELY. Do not take the chance. Do not think it's just a tummy upset. It could be or it could be the start of a much more serious, possibly deadly, illness.

I don't understand your vet's choice of treatment but am glad your girl is OK.

FWIW since Metacam is in the same drug class as Rimadyl and Previcox, I would avoid it and all NSAIDs going forward. There are other pain management options such as Tramadol that can be tried, and while they don't have the anti-infammatory properties, they might be safer for her - I say this as someone who nearly lost a dog to acute kidney failure following a post-surgical loading dose of Metacam administered by the vet.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Enza is on rimadyl on and off and we test her liver once a year. She does fine on it. Tramadol however, is not an option as it caused bizarre impacts where she would go from being comatose to super hyper. She also wouldn't stop pacing and panicking so it's a no go for us. My vet said she actually doesn't like to prescribe Tramadol because more dogs have issues on that drug than the others. It's an interesting discussion.