An Unsightly Bathroom Habit

Does anyone else's grey just squat and pee (or worse, have a pudding poop) smack-dab in the middle of the sidewalk? My girl has no shame (or else she's low maintenance).

Can I "interrupt" her just prior to the squat, and re-direct her to the city-owned grassy boulevard?

I'm otherwise destined to carrying a Bonnie kit, (squirt bottle and scraper) on every walk. Not something I'm looking forward to during the heat of summer.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Guest Plygreygirl

When My Mia was having problems with very loose stools I found a solution that worked out really well. I took the newspaper and cut in fourths folded it up to a small square so it/they would fit in my pocket. As she would start to go I would hold the paper just under her and would let it drop as soon as the stuff hit the paper. You pickup the whole mess with a poop bag. As I use biogradebable bags so newspaper works for that also. And it does not matter grass, sidewalk or dirt works in all sitatuations. Good luck!

Guest Doggone

Taylor has stopped a few times in the middle of a sidewalk, leaned forward a little bit, and peed a huge puddle.

He did it one time in front of a fancy restaurant, with booths up against the floor to ceiling windows.

People inside applauded :hehe

Thanks for the totally unexpected laugh! :D (I would've clapped too:) )

Betsy was like this when she first came home. I just gently steered her to the grass before she peed or pooped. She's pooping on the walkways again now that she's 14--at 14, poop just happens. She's not the only dog in this house with that problem. :rolleyes:

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Annie can always be directed to a better place to poo. Just gotta interrupt the obvious I-gotta-go body language before the squat happens. I'm not as picky where she pees, especially in the middle of winter.

When My Mia was having problems with very loose stools I found a solution that worked out really well. I took the newspaper and cut in fourths folded it up to a small square so it/they would fit in my pocket. As she would start to go I would hold the paper just under her and would let it drop as soon as the stuff hit the paper. You pickup the whole mess with a poop bag. As I use biogradebable bags so newspaper works for that also. And it does not matter grass, sidewalk or dirt works in all sitatuations. Good luck!

What a smarty pants you are! Perfect solution for both 1 & 2. And it's clever, easy and clean!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Guest TheModernMutt

Does anyone else's grey just squat and pee (or worse, have a pudding poop) smack-dab in the middle of the sidewalk?

I have nothing to add, but I had to tell you how long it took me to catch my breath after laughing so hard! LOL LOL LOL

Of all my days working with dogs, I've NEVER heard it called a "pudding poop"!

I have nothing to add, but I had to tell you how long it took me to catch my breath after laughing so hard! LOL LOL LOL

Of all my days working with dogs, I've NEVER heard it called a "pudding poop"!

Happy to oblige! I first heard it on this forum, too. I don't think there's a more fitting descriptor, especially for my girl.

My Etsy Shop

Betsy was like this when she first came home. I just gently steered her to the grass before she peed or pooped. She's pooping on the walkways again now that she's 14--at 14, poop just happens. She's not the only dog in this house with that problem. :rolleyes:

:)

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Jeffie will do this if not redirected. I watch for the slight difference in gait, and the slight tail lift which tells me things are on the move. It's not very obvious with Jeffie, but lets just say when I'm holding the lead, he seldom soils the pavement (sidewalk) but when DH is walking him it's fairly common. :P

Vigilance is the key, and then a quick 'this way!' usually does the trick.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I have to say that Monty does this, but since I'm a little bit crazy (and hate the idea of a mess on the sidewalk where anyone might step), I catch it in one of the poop bags. I have to do that in winter, because Monty's delicate toes will fall off if he steps into a snowbank so he merely belly's up to the bar, so to speak. :rolleyes: I always start the walk with a bag rolled just so I can hold it under the edges and swing in under the tail as he starts to squat, and we've had him long enough I can tell about 20 feet before he's going to squat that it's on it's way and I will be ready. DH can't do that, and he ends up nudging him or having to pick up from the sidewalk - which in winter also means getting as much up as possible and then using snow to scrub the remainders up. And, I'm proud to say that I've only gotten messed on maybe 4 times over the past 4 years - usually when he stands before he's done.

As for urine, he's always been a "weak" leg lifter, and he extends it back more than lifting it, and since that is uncomfortable for him it ends up sagging and frequently enough causing him to hit his front paw. Unless I gently go over and help support that knee.

Guest EvanstonGrey

my new boy does this too! and he's also a walking pooper - he'll start off in one spot and leave a trail for me to pick up after :rolleyes:

When we first got Elliott, he would always want to squat over small bushes or groundcover as if to hide his poo and make it more messy and difficult for us to pick it up. I swear, it was like he had been trained to do it that way. We put up with it for a couple of weeks because he was our first dog and we just were stupid about stuff like that, but eventually we got him to redirect. Lea often pees on the sidewalk the minute she gets out of the car - no matter how short the ride - like she feels she might not get the chance otherwise - she will also poo about five steps later. She is very efficient like that and we always know what to expect.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

I have to say that Monty does this, but since I'm a little bit crazy (and hate the idea of a mess on the sidewalk where anyone might step), I catch it in one of the poop bags. I have to do that in winter, because Monty's delicate toes will fall off if he steps into a snowbank so he merely belly's up to the bar, so to speak. :rolleyes: I always start the walk with a bag rolled just so I can hold it under the edges and swing in under the tail as he starts to squat, and we've had him long enough I can tell about 20 feet before he's going to squat that it's on it's way and I will be ready. DH can't do that, and he ends up nudging him or having to pick up from the sidewalk - which in winter also means getting as much up as possible and then using snow to scrub the remainders up. And, I'm proud to say that I've only gotten messed on maybe 4 times over the past 4 years - usually when he stands before he's done.

As for urine, he's always been a "weak" leg lifter, and he extends it back more than lifting it, and since that is uncomfortable for him it ends up sagging and frequently enough causing him to hit his front paw. Unless I gently go over and help support that knee.

:yay I applaud your bravery. You must have killer hand-eye co-ordination!

I think you're clever; what a great skill to hone. I'm gonna practice "shooting hoops" too, but not without my craft gloves.

Have there been any funny looks or comments from the neighbours?

My Etsy Shop

When we first got Elliott, he would always want to squat over small bushes or groundcover as if to hide his poo and make it more messy and difficult for us to pick it up. I swear, it was like he had been trained to do it that way. We put up with it for a couple of weeks because he was our first dog and we just were stupid about stuff like that, but eventually we got him to redirect. Lea often pees on the sidewalk the minute she gets out of the car - no matter how short the ride - like she feels she might not get the chance otherwise - she will also poo about five steps later. She is very efficient like that and we always know what to expect.

Arrgh, she does this too!

And (no kidding) lifts her leg when she pees!

My Etsy Shop

i had one dog who had to put his head under a bush to poop...go know. at the beach he couldn't find a bush so he used someone's umbrella.not a beach umbrella a small umbrella propped up on it's side. and to top it off, there was a pair of loafers near the umbrella...just where the poop happend to land.

felix pees at the edge of grass and the side walk, but he takes looooong pees and always ends up peeing both on his front paw and then drenching the sidewalk. you get used to your dog's antics. don't get embarassed, nothing can be worse than the umbrella episode

Guest cwholsin

We call the bush/nettle poop 'ninja poo' and Nash will do it often! Our dogs will all go on the sidewalk if we let them :P

And Hermes frequently pees on his front legs!

Edited by cwholsin

Guest Clawsandpaws

It might not work as well for a girl, but with Dudley, ever since we have had him, I have always pointed at what he was peeing on and would say "pee on this" it has gotten to a point that on a walk, I can consistently direct him on what to pee on. Almost like positive reinforcement, if he pees on something like a tree or bush, I go "pee on this, good boy!" if it's an electric pole or trash can (I don't like him peeing on things that some person might have to touch) I try to redirect as soon as he shows any interest and take him to the nearest appropriate item and say "pee on this,good boy"

As others have mentioned, I look for the "poop trot". Freddy usually hold's his head low towards the ground and has a bit more bounce to his step shortly before taking care of business. I've had to scrap up the pudding poop off the sidewalk before and it was not pretty! This was while he was still adjusting to home life and a new diet and only lasted a few weeks. Peeing is a bit harder to identify as he will casually lean forward and let it rip. Usually this results in him peeing all over his front legs and then he spends the next few minutes cleaning himself up. I'm glad my dog isn't the only one guilty of peeing on their legs and having no shame! :)

[i said something about catching the poop]

:yay I applaud your bravery. You must have killer hand-eye co-ordination!

I think you're clever; what a great skill to hone. I'm gonna practice "shooting hoops" too, but not without my craft gloves.

Have there been any funny looks or comments from the neighbours?

I actually find catching a greyhound's droppings easier than a keeshond's! Our first dog had really loose poo after long walks (2 blocks were "long") and it just was what I felt I needed to do for my neighbors. I'm just glad that greyhounds don't have the long hair!

I have indeed gotten comments. And yes, it is kind of embarrassing, but I always think "You're welcome" to the homeowners as I stand up when there's no puddle or squidge on the sidewalk for people to step on. The best was when Monty decided to squat after a long walk right in front of a house where a lady was getting her mail. She paused, watched me, and when I stood up she said "Now that's dedication!" I'm sure I was beet red by that time, but I just shrugged and tied off the bag and said that if I hadn't caught it couldn't have been picked up. And it's just easier that way. (However I am waiting for my activities to cause an accident when we do that on the busy roads near us. Hasn't happened yet, but Monty's only 8, so there's still time!)

I think that the easiest, if your dog isn't a "poop walker" (walking while pooping, and I hate that!), is the newspaper or cheap paper plate tucked under the butt when they squat. Or use a larger bag (bread bags tend to be larger in diameter than many poop bags, and they're stiff enough that they stay open when rolled).