Good Zeke Update :)

well, he's been on nothing but the Iams Proactive Health Lamb and Rice (and a big dollop of punky and a small amount of yogurt in the p.m.) for over a week and his poops are looking good!!! Mostly well formed and look pretty firm (I haven't picked up in a few days but they look good).

he also got a fecal done the Saturday before last and no hooks! :yay we will be dropping another off this weekend just as a precaution.

so, I'm not sure if we'll be keeping him on the Iams or not. I really like our Canidae, but I may try to see how Larry does on the Iams once he's out of Canidae (I think we have one more large bag left). His poops are good in the morning but deteriorate as the day goes on. I don't want to sound like a snob, but I don't think the Iams is as good a food as the Canidae :( but if it works, then I guess that's the best food for him. I may try the Kirkland Lamb and Rice, folks have had good luck with that. I'm just afraid to switch anything now since he's doing well.

prior to going to JUST the kibble and pumpkin, he was getting varied amounts of rice, oatmeal, ground beef, white potatoes and cottage cheese. So I don't know if the D was from the worms, from the Canidae, or from any of the add-ins. All but the cottage cheese was in the attempt to firm him up, so not giving him those again is ok by me, but I would like to give him some of the homemade that Larry gets (well, right now he's getting all the taters, beef and oatmeal I had made up and froze for Zeke, to use it up) and hopefully that won't cause problems.

thanks again to everyone for the good thoughts :) he really is a sweet boy (and a NUT) and I'm glad he's feeling better. He may have even put on a little more weight, will see what he's at on Sunday. :)

my 3 silly boyz :)IMG_0844_zps0bc692c9.jpg

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Excellent news!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hey, a food is only good if it works. I was the biggest dog food snob that there was and my boys are on IAMs green bag. If you want add supplements.

My guys get fish oil, cosquin ds, acidopholis and pumpkin. I usually have a dog food add in. They are fine, they look good, their coats are soft and shiny. What more could you want at 50 lbs for $41.99. It is all good.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I think IAMS is an underrated food. When I've fed it in the past and had a more active dog, I'd just add in some egg or meat every day to boost the protein a little.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:yay

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

:yay So glad to hear your Zeke is doing better!

Re kibble, around here we tend to judge the food by the poop ;). Merlin's GI system has remained pretty sensitive ever since his bout with hooks, but we've found that he does well on Lamb and Rice or on Salmon and Potato (we rotate about every couple months). Still, he will almost always have a few days of loose stool whenever we change foods, or give too many treats, or vary the add-ins too much, or feed ANY chicken (and so on...). So when something is working we tend to stick with it, adding supplements as necessary.

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M