Canoeing With Your Dog

Guest badderh

Guest badderh

Trying to look ahead and plan some activities for my SO and I to do with our pups when we take them camping this summer. One of the things we would like to do is go canoeing. I've been reading up on it a bit so I think I've got the basic safety precautions down and some ideas on how to familiarize them , but figured I would ask for grey talkers to share their experience with this.

Pleases share any stories ( good and bad ) or any advice you might have.

I'm curious about what people think about this. I'd be nervous that our dogs would probably try to jump out, then not be able to swim. We go to a doggie pool park in the summer (it's in a corner, and gradually gets deeper with 4' being the deepest point). The one time Henry jumped in the deep end, he sunk like a brick and the lifeguard had to pull him out. :lol But if you have a relatively calm dog who will lie down and not pace around (and actually understands the concept of water), it could be fun.

">DSC_0005.jpg

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

If I liked canoeing, Summer would do it. She'd probably jump out of plane if I asked her to, as long as I did it, too. I think canoeing with your pup is a great idea. If you dog isn't much of a swimmer, though, you might want to get a life jacket. And I'd also suggest doing it during the cooler hours.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest FinnsMom

I have to get a lifejacket for Finn this summer as we have a boat and are on it most weekends. We have a kayak, but there is no way he will fit in so we have to invest in a dingy so that when we are anchored for the night we have a way to get him to shore so he can do his business without having to swim every time.

After seeing that canoe picture, that would definetely be a cheaper option than dingy with motor. LOL

I can't wait to see if he's a water dog or not. He LOVES the snow so I'm hoping the same will be said for water.

I haven't tried canoeing with Freddy but he has become my new fishing partner in my boat. He wears a harness and a 10 ft. lead that is attached to the seat. He is a velcro boy so as long as his human is there he loves it! I only bring him during cooler days or early morning/late at night to avoid the heat/humidity. I'd look into a life jacket and at the very least a harness for when something does go wrong. Also have a plan of attack for the what if's that come with canoeing.....and dogs! I know if Freddy were to go overboard in a canoe, it would be quite difficult getting a panick stricken hound back in the canoe without hurting anyone or tipping. Unless we had a square stern or outriggers, I don't think my boy would enjoy it very much. All dogs are different though, let us know how it goes and good luck!

It really depends on how steady and comfortable your dog is in a canoe. As I'm sure you are aware, if they are prone to moving around or running at things they see it is pretty easy to tip a canoe. Because canoes are so narrow and wobbly, some dogs don't feel comfortable, but I'm sure most could get used to it with time and adjust their balancing. I really don't think it would work out well with Teague, he is so big and awkward (getting him onboard without tipping would be a challenge :P ), but my smaller dog can do any type of boat and is great.

i used to canoe w/ my late saluki- we swam in the delaware river together and he used to swim to shore and follow us as we paddled along. every dog is differernt, azim was a velcro dog- it worked out well. our terriers also went canoeing w/ us- but the waters we launch in currently have way too much current(LI sound in rye, ny) and it's not safe. a lake is really the best place to test the waters.

Guest AngelPup

I wasn't sure whether greyhounds COULD swim. I read somewhere that they don't have the buoyancy that other dogs have because of their low body fat and narrow build, so they sink. It's nice to know that they can at least learn to swim! I love the thought of going canoeing with our future grey!

All 3 of our greys have been able and/or can swim. We found this out by accident, one walked off the end of the dock and the other followed. None of them have ever panicked when the fell in, they went under water, came up and started swimming towards shore. I'm not sure how or why they knew where the shore was, but they were fine. Of course we were right there and would have jumped in if necessary.

On the other hand, none of them go for a swim from shore, rather they all swim because they fell into the water. Plus when they reached shore, they just shook off the water and went on their way. None of them were frazzled by the experience. (I was the one who psted the canoeing pic btw)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

All 3 of our greys have been able and/or can swim. We found this out by accident, one walked off the end of the dock and the other followed. None of them have ever panicked when the fell in, they went under water, came up and started swimming towards shore. I'm not sure how or why they knew where the shore was, but they were fine. Of course we were right there and would have jumped in if necessary.

On the other hand, none of them go for a swim from shore, rather they all swim because they fell into the water. Plus when they reached shore, they just shook off the water and went on their way. None of them were frazzled by the experience. (I was the one who psted the canoeing pic btw)

Now if only they could ride bicycles... then they'd be tri-athletes!! :lol

Guest AngelPup

That's very reassuring! I've always had dogs that LOVED the water (lab mix, Irish Setter, mutts) and never really was concerned with them around the water.

Love that picture, BTW!

Now if only they could ride bicycles... then they'd be tri-athletes!! :lol

Seriously--now wouldn't THAT be cool to watch! :hehe

That's very reassuring! I've always had dogs that LOVED the water (lab mix, Irish Setter, mutts) and never really was concerned with them around the water.

Love that picture, BTW!

Seriously--now wouldn't THAT be cool to watch! :hehe

I do have a pic of Ben on the back of the bike in a kid's trailer...I'll try and find it and post it.

Our dogs go on our pontoon boat but of course that has fence railings and lots of room for them to lie down....I have found that even though we have a Bimini top for shade they get hot and we can't plan lots of hours out on the water. Haven't ever tried w/canoe...kinda tippy and we have wimpy dogs! We do stick to marine rules.....a life jacket for every person and dog on board. Dogs have to wear them.....they can't talk back and complain like the kids! Our rule is for non swimmers...when boat's moving...life jackets are on. We live on a lake so we're a little nutty about water safety because we've seen some yukky accidents. So, please excuse me if I sound a bit safety crazy. My dogs are allowed to be free spirits anywhere else! Hope u have fun trying water with your pup.

I read somewhere that they don't have the buoyancy that other dogs have because of their low body fat and narrow build, so they sink.

This is true. Even though dogs can figure out how to swim (doggie paddle), unlike strong water dog breeds, racing Greyhounds (sprinters) have lower endurance, combined with lack of body fat, to stay afloat for long in an emergency situation.

Most racing Greyhounds have never seen a large body of water and think they can "walk" on water. This includes backyard swimming pools and ponds. If a Greyhound falls into water deeper than their height, some Greyhounds who were previously taught where to exit in a shallow end, are too panicked to remember which direction to swim. Panicked hounds often circle and sink, or try to climb out (unsuccessfully) where they fell in.

canoe...kinda tippy and we have wimpy dogs! We do stick to marine rules.....a life jacket for every person and dog on board. Dogs have to wear them. We live on a lake so we're a little nutty about water safety because we've seen some yukky accidents.

I agree with dee. Any dog on a boat should wear a life-preserver. Having spent years at a lake, I'm also aware of too many dog drownings, including very strong water savvy dogs who simply fell in deep water from the land but were too confused to find their way to safety. (Separate families lost dogs that fell in from their own yards, but couldn't find their own well-used exit ramps.)

If taking a dog in an open air boat, I agree about limiting time to early morning or early evening avoiding heat of day and direct sun, particularly with temperature sensitive (and thin fur) breeds like Greyhounds, and keep fresh water aboard for dog.

I imagine it would be very challenging to save a panicked Greyhound from a tipped canoe when a human would not have solid footing.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Sorry, I would not even attempt it.

If you do, life jacket for the dog for sure, and you too. It would be a tippy experience getting the dog in and out. The dog would not be comfortable with the unstableness of the motion of a canoe going thru the water (tippy-rocking motion). Every grey that I have had I taken into the water swimming, none liked it, and all could swim.

They do not have the body mass of other breeds (fat layers) so their body does not float as well as a lab or retriever. So mine were swimming with their butts 6"-9"+ down in the water, meaning that the front legs were trying to swim but they came out of the water spashing the dog in the face. The dog is constantly getting water in his eyes, ears and nose all on his own before the first wave comes along, and is swimming, trying to shake the water out of his ears...so it really is pretty pathetic, funny at first and then you feel sorry for them as they are definately in the survival mode (hint don't go far from shore). Mine like wading in the water - chest high to cool off and will lay down in it but none have enjoyed swimming. If you were to tip over, with your dog in a preserver, your dog will head to the closest shore while you are dealing with a swamped canoe, swimming after loose floating stuff and paddles floating around so you will be too busy to worry about him and her - do you tie him to you -yes you better because when he hits shore, color him GONE. If you tie him to you - how are you going to unswamp the canoe and then get him back into the canoe, before he tires out and drowns? I have a tandem kayak and would not to take them in it as they would not be happy although my dogs are fine in a pontoon or other motorized boat. When you come to shore or a dock I would expect the greyhound to make a giant leap to safety (land) at probably the worst possible time and could well injure himself or cause you to capsize. Like others have said- the dog will overheat quickly unless you are in the early morning or late evening (especially with a preserver on).

Years ago I had an afgan hound that would run away, so I took him out into the middle of the lake and threw him off the side of the boat to get some swimming experience, then I jumped in with him so he didn't think we were trying to kill him. Well that dog swam up to me, and literally tried to crawl up my ches, and shoulders to get on top of my head - I had claw marks all over my chest and stomach-as he was in the survival mode. Lesson learned! Oh yeah stupid me had not thought of how I was going to lift this 65 lb dog out of the water up and over the sides of the boat that was 2 feet out of the water. Luckily, my wife and kids were all on board and could help us, plus the dog could help too it took all of us...another lesson learned, hehehe

Never had the experience...just lucky I guess :)

Never had the experience mentioned above with any of our pups... perhaps I just don't know how to tell if they are distressed or just lucky I guess :)

We went canooeing with Merlin back in 2007. He doesn't like the water and doesn't know how to swim. We bought a life jacket for him. He got into the canoe and gnawed on rawhide the whole time, and he was fine. I would love to do it again, but we probably won't. I was nervous the whole time :rolleyes: I wouldn't worry with a GSD or a mutt or any dog that loves water and loves to swim. But greys... it would really depend on the dog.

If you think your dog would enjoy it, though, and you are certain you can do it safely - I say go for it. :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm a kayaker so never tried to take Summit canoeing. I can see him not enjoying it much. Not so even so much because of the tippiness but I'd have to put a lot of blankets down for him I think. Kili I could see enjoying canoeing.

It is the one regret I have with owning dogs. I can't take them in the kayak. And since we always take them on camping vacations with us it means I rarely get to kayak anymore unless we do day trips. I've thought about switching to a canoe so they can come along but I really don't like canoeing nearly as much as I love my kayak.

ETA: When in ANY sort of boat, motorized or not and regardless of breed, dogs should wear a life preserver. People should too. I don't care how good a swimmer any human or dog is, anyone can be injured or knocked unconscious in an accident.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

There's at least one article in CG Magazine about greyhounds and canoeing, "Phoenix Goes Canoeing" on p. 30 in the Summer 2005 issue. If anyone is interested, I can try to dig around in my back issues and scan it if I have it.

As a former canoe camp counselor, I third the suggestion for life jackets for all. :thumbs-up

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 8 months later...

Wow, there are some silly things on this thread! throwing a dog in a lake to teach it to swim? = guaranteed to get a dog that doesn't like water and doesn't trust you anymore either!!!

Greyhounds have to expend more energy to stay afloat than breeds with more *ahem* bodyfat. Of course there are a lot of options for dog 'float coats' now and I have found that even the more minimal ones make it easier for a grey to swim. If you canoe regularly you should have some knowledge of what to do in an emergency - ie how to do a water rescue. Just apply that to the dog. A lot of the jackets have a handle on the back to make things easier. Of course you have to brace the boat so you don't tip yourself out.

Of course having such long legs means they don't always fit onto a kayak well. I bought a little square bottomed sit on top kayak but Barbie couldn't lie down in it and leave any room for me. If she fit I think she would be willing to come out on it with me though! Bender did just fit but he wasn't keen on it. Then he developed this weird habit of thinking that fisherman's tackle plopping into the water was his ball. He jumped out of the yak and towed me and the yak over to where he saw the splash. I stopped taking him out and sold the little boat just after that happened!!! :o

Anyway I reckon give it a go~ you won't know until you try!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, there are some silly things on this thread! throwing a dog in a lake to teach it to swim? = guaranteed to get a dog that doesn't like water and doesn't trust you anymore either!!!

Greyhounds have to expend more energy to stay afloat than breeds with more *ahem* bodyfat. Of course there are a lot of options for dog 'float coats' now and I have found that even the more minimal ones make it easier for a grey to swim. If you canoe regularly you should have some knowledge of what to do in an emergency - ie how to do a water rescue. Just apply that to the dog. A lot of the jackets have a handle on the back to make things easier. Of course you have to brace the boat so you don't tip yourself out.

Of course having such long legs means they don't always fit onto a kayak well. I bought a little square bottomed sit on top kayak but Barbie couldn't lie down in it and leave any room for me. If she fit I think she would be willing to come out on it with me though! Bender did just fit but he wasn't keen on it. Then he developed this weird habit of thinking that fisherman's tackle plopping into the water was his ball. He jumped out of the yak and towed me and the yak over to where he saw the splash. I stopped taking him out and sold the little boat just after that happened!!! :o

Anyway I reckon give it a go~ you won't know until you try!

I just read each post carefully and did not see one that indicated a greyhound was thrown in the water to teach it to swim. I would love for you to point it out to me, because obviously, one of us can't read.

btw, this pic was taken close to shore, if the canoe tipped, I was right beside it in a kayak, ready to save Brooke if necessary since the water was only waist high for me.

I wasn't going to explain myself but so many assumed the worse. No, DH would not take her out in deep water, he stayed by the shore. We have 2 lifejackets for the pups, just didn't feel it was necessary and just wanted a pic of Brooke in the canoe and they were only in the canoe for a few moments. It was obviously not a problem to get her in the canoe, if she refused we wouldn't have forced her, Ben won't go in so we don't force him. I was able to place her in the middle of it and DH got in without tipping it. Mind you he has been canoeing for well over 50 years and knows a little bit about canoe tipping.

Like I said earlier, when our greys fell into the water, they immediately started swimming towards shore, shook themselves and went on with their day like nothing happened. Brooke still regularly goes into the lake for a drink of water without fear.

Plus the lake wasn't fenced in like a dog park, I'm surprised no one mentioned that too :lol

Edited by greytpups