Antlers

Guest KatyC

How long do your greyhounds take to chew through an antler chew. Peggy seems to be getting through pressed raw hide rings really quickly, and I don't like the idea of her swallowing a big bit once she's got into it.

Antlers in the uk are quite pricey, so I wanted to work out if it's worth me trying one out?

Do they last a long time? how quickly can the dog chew through them? Do they crumble or come of in chunks?

Any info is appreciated, as I've never known anyone who uses them before.

I bought Sid one about two weeks ago for the first time. He likes to chew, though he's not compulsive, by any means.

We still have the antler. :lol He picks it up now and then, has a chew at it, then leaves it be. It has a few scratches on it, and a couple of tiny bits missing from the 'marrow' (which isn't really marrow, but you know what I mean), and it seems to be holding up as well as a smoked bone usually does.

We did buy him a big chunky one - cost about £8 if I remember rightly.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

We bought one in the fall, I think it was November. She still has it. She was crazy about it at first, then lost interest for a while, and has recently become interested in it again. I soaked in it a bit of chicken broth the other day. The one we got was split, so she scrapes off the marrowy/spongy interior. There's still quite a bit left. I think we paid around $15 for a 6-8" piece.

We have been buying antlers for about a year now. MOST last quite a long time- months. The ones that do not last long are thinner walled ones. Look for a 6-8inch (15-20cm) or larger antler, with thicker walls and no knots as we find those are weak spots. Don't buy the ones cut in half. They are quite pricey here too, about $25-30 for a good one at a big pet store chain. I have found a place in Canada that sells bulk at about $15 each. This picture shows a thicker walled antler, look at the bottom of the picture. Good luck.

6inch-Whole2_zps81125e95.jpg

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Mine sat around for two years..neither of my dogs would touch it. :P I tried soaking it in hot water to get the juices/smell out, but still no go. I gave it away to my Aunt's dog who loves it though, and it has lasted her forever, even with a pretty powerful chewer.

Edited by RedHead

Hattie doesn't really chew the antlers at all, Throp likes them and has a short chew few times a day but has barely made a dent in it and Pru the bull lurcher wears it down much quicker than Throp . I got mine from Antler dog chews which also sell halved antlers as an easy chew option so plan to order one of those to try with Hattie.

I gave Riley a split elk antler and he went bonkers over it. He took it to his bed for a marathon chewing session and did a surprising amount of damage to it. The hard outer shell is intact but some of the "marrow" is gone. Still, I think it will last a few months now that he's gotten over it a bit and only works on it for about half an hour at a time.

Today I got him another elk antler, but this one is not split so the innards will be harder for him to get out. I plan to alternate the two for variety.

The kind we get is a fat 6 to 8 inch piece with the rough edges sanded off for safety. It runs about $16 but I think it's worth the investment. We easily spend twice that for a month's supply of CET chews and these will last longer.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Thanks everyone. I have ordered a stagbar antler off amazon so we will see how it goes!

Yep, we must be close. I'm in St. Ives. Whereabouts in Peterborough are you?

Guest FrankieWylie

Hmmm. I'll have to try the soaking/boiling thing. We got antlers from a hunter friend, and Sherry showed interest in it for about 4.82 seconds. Now it just hangs out on the floor, untouched.

He picks it up now and then, has a chew at it, then leaves it be.
Yep, same here. We've got a couple antlers. All five dogs occasionally chew on an antler. Still the antlers last for as long as a year. The antlers do not take the place of chewies for my dogs. They just don't use these enough.

ETA: I had forgotten about the split antlers. All of mine were more interested in those. Those also splintered soon after & needed to be thrown away. For the price those were not a good value.

Edited by kudzu

Neither of our pups chewed on them. I never thought of soaking them in broth though.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Well yesterday she decided that the antler is obviously some sort of creature that she can have a game with. she played bowed at it and lay down wagging her tail watching it doing little cough like barks, then getting up and doing mad circles and laying back down again!

She hasn't actually chewed it though!

Well yesterday she decided that the antler is obviously some sort of creature that she can have a game with. she played bowed at it and lay down wagging her tail watching it doing little cough like barks, then getting up and doing mad circles and laying back down again!

She hasn't actually chewed it though!

Hahahaha! What a silly girl! :lol

It's funny how some dogs love the antlers and some show no interest. If I don't supervise my 3 with them they will end up fighting over them! Gigi thinks any toy/treat is hers no matter if they each got one. She will steal them all until she has 3 toys/treats on her bed? My last foster snuck an antler outside one day and I didn't realize it. They next thing I knew I was breaking up a dog fight! scary stuff!

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop