Safe Jerky Treat Suggestions Please

Guest christine1223

Guest christine1223

Hi all,

Our grey Maggie is addicted to a certain brand of duck jerky which was recalled in the "made in China" scare. I am looking for suggestions for safe, made in USA jerky treats. I have searched the forum and Googled and am still perplexed. The only thing I have really found so far is Blue Buffalo salmon and chicken jerky which might be fine, just wondering what others may have turned to as alternatives. We feed the jerky as a later evening snack. Maybe it's time to reconsider the evening snack? She is not interested in the veggie type chews so I don't think that is an option. Thanks for any suggestions.

I was just going to say Colorado Naturals too. It's carried at Petco. We tried a pack of the beef recently, and I'd buy it again. They have beef, chicken, pork, and salmon jerky as I recall.

I personally order a local Minnesota organic turkey jerky-like product, Gobbles, by phone: http://www.drystore.com/page/page/5530605.htm (described as "granules," but it's really jerky-like strips, a little more crumbly). I know this is the very highest quality meat and Beth really likes it.

Another 100% American product sold at PetSmart (made about thirty miles from me in Iowa) is True Chews. There's a fair bit of sugars in it though so I don't think I'd buy it again.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest christine1223

Thanks for the suggestions. I just placed an order with Colorado Naturals. They don't have duck flavor though so hopefully Maggie will find the chicken or salmon to be acceptable :)

That's what I do-a $30 dehydrator is all you need.

My friend made us salmon jerky in a dehydrator, and my guys went nuts over it.

We also buy Milo's Kitchen, but their jerky was recalled in January due to an issue with antibiotics. It's probably fine by now.

CostCo has a Chicken & Sweet Potato jerky type chew. Trolley loves them.

You have to watch there treats too. I did find that some of there Jerky treats for dogs is made in China.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Unfortunately, most, if not all, of the jerky treats sold at Costco are made in China.

:nod

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I make my own. Partially thaw chicken breasts, filet them in half, pound with meat tenderizer hammer, cut pieces to desired size, and dehydrate.

I also make banana chips for them in the dehydrator :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Trader Joes sells chicken jerky.

Trader Joe's jerky products for pets are sourced/processed in China, unless they've changed recently - I bought some once (trusting TJ's), but I saw the labeling when I went to open them and had to return them.

As much as I love Trader Joe's for human stuff, They don't seem to put the same concern into the pet products they sell (even though they have treats with a greyhound on the box).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Unfortunately, most, if not all, of the jerky treats sold at Costco are made in China.

Not everything. The chicken & sweet potato jerky is made in the USA. I NEVER buy treats made in China. They also have a great Alligator soft treat that Trolley loves- made in Louisiana. Says: Simply American....means great North American ingredients! The folks at the CostCo near me said they were making a real effort to buy more USA products.

Edited by NevadasMom

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Not everything. The chicken & sweet potato jerky is made in the USA. I NEVER buy treats made in China. They also have a great Alligator soft treat that Trolley loves- made in Louisiana. Says: Simply American....means great North American ingredients! The folks at the CostCo near me said they were making a real effort to buy more USA products.

Still need to be careful-dont be fooled. Just because a product was "made in the USA" doesn't mean they didn't source the ingredients from China.

Guest grey_dreams
Still need to be careful-dont be fooled. Just because a product was "made in the USA" doesn't mean they didn't source the ingredients from China.

It is unfortunate but this is true. You have to be really careful these days about stuff. The labels are not prosecutable as a lie because it is made in the US, but most or all of the ingredients are sourced from China or other countries with equally questionable practices.

Guest FordRacingRon
I was just going to say Colorado Naturals too. It's carried at Petco. We tried a pack of the beef recently, and I'd buy it again. They have beef, chicken, pork, and salmon jerky as I recall.

I personally order a local Minnesota organic turkey jerky-like product, Gobbles, by phone: http://www.drystore.com/page/page/5530605.htm (described as "granules," but it's really jerky-like strips, a little more crumbly). I know this is the very highest quality meat and Beth really likes it.

Another 100% American product sold at PetSmart (made about thirty miles from me in Iowa) is True Chews. There's a fair bit of sugars in it though so I don't think I'd buy it again.

I started another thread about this as I too feed Colorado Naturals. There is a recall on them now also. I used to buy mine form Konaschips.com but discovered the ones at Petco. Same price, no shipping though so I started the Colorado ones. Now they have been recalled.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm340552.htm

Pecto also has a store brand they now carry which for the mot part are US made. I say that because the chicken jerky is made in the US,,but they had some beef product that was US beef but processed in Mexico.

I don't have a dehydrator. I put mine on a cookie sheet in the oven for about 2 hours at 200 degrees or until nice and dry.Can be refrigerated for up to a week or frozen until needed.I'm making a batch tonight!I forgot to say a lightly greased cookie sheet.

Edited by cometdust1

So where are these CostCo treats ingredients coming from? Are you saying that you know they are from China?

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart