When To Remove The Spleen?

Has your dog needed to have it's spleen removed?

Were there some chronic signs leading up to it? Or was it an emergency with no prior warning?

How long was the recovery period at the hospital and then at home?

Tessa is an 11 year old italian greyhound. Ultrasound showed hyperechoic areas. Could be benign, could be hemangiomas. Vet was not pushing for immediate surgery.

She's had 3 episodes in 4 months of severe shaking and disorientation. Otherwise normal, pee, poop, eating.

Vet thinks it's a pain manifestation - not seizure or vestibular. Within in an hour of a bupe injection the episode stops.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I had about an hour to decide with Lucky because he was bleeding into his belly. I was warned that the mass on his spleen was probably HSA so I need to decided if I want to spend the $3500 for surgery.

Best decision ever and it wasn't HSA :yay

He had some issues after surgery so spent the weekend at the e-vet. The total for everything was $6k- best money I've ever spent.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

That's a really tough question. If there's something obviously wrong with it, you want it out sooner rather than later. If it's not so clear .... Maybe tbhounds/JJng can shed some light on what all feeds into the decision at their clinics.

So that was no advice at all, but want to wish you the best for your little girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have you seen an internist or consulted with OSU? I am by no means a vet, but severe shaking and disorientation sounds like a seizure which is a cause for concern. Even though she is 11, I think I'd want to get a second opinion versus a 'wait and see' approach. Good thoughts for your little girl :)

My dog's spleen was removed during an unrelated emergency, GDV surgery. There was a mass on it that was sent out for biopsy. The mass was an incidental finding. It was benign.

I've got hemangiomas in my spleen. No removal unless I start to become symptomatic. From a personal perspective, three episodes of pain in four months probably wouldn't cause me to have surgery but I guess it would depend on how long the episodes lasted & whether it was disruptive to my life.

ETA: The masses in my spleen are described as hemangioma/hamartoma.

Edited by kudzu

Each of these 3 spells since September has been in the middle of the night. Tessa sleeps right next to be and boom- I know immediately when the shaking starts. In the day leading up to each episode her behavior has been normal, no change in routine.

At least the E-vet is 2 minutes from my house. I got lucky and the vet on call lives a few blocks over. She has witnessed each episode and doesn't think it is a seizure. Lab work was done with the 1st episode and by the vet who did the ultrasound when she wasn't having an episode (he's an hour away). Nothing bizarre in those reports.

I hope there is no next time but I will try to film it happening.

I know a dog/human comparison may not be the same, but Kudzu, what symptomatic presentations have you had?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

no advice, just :kiss2 for Tessa

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Well, if the vet witnessed it and didn't think it was a seizure, and if the labs were okay, then hopefully she'll be okay with regular pain management. I hear you, though. It's a tough decision to make because you don't want it to be "too late" if a splenectomy needs to happen. No advice, just hugs. :grouphug

MoMo's spleen was removed after being damaged during a laparoscopic spay surgery. The loss of spleen wasn't planned, obviously, but I don't think having to remove it complicated her recover from the regular spay & spleen removal.

She has had no ill-effects from the spleen removal.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

No advice, but please know that I'm sending good thoughts for little Tessa. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Had to run some errands this morning and Tessa gave me a tail wag when I got back.

I'd say she is about 75% back to normal. :(

tiny hada siggy.png

We can get in to the vet as a walk-in this afternoon.

tiny hada siggy.png

Aquitaine's was emergency surgery. Mass in her spleen the size of a softball. I took her in to the ER in the wee hours of a Monday and they kept her overnight as the getting in/out of cabs and on/off of her bed was deemed to be dangerous. She had high BP and some heart pitter patters so I didn't get her back until Thursday night.

Once she got home, she did quite well. The only follow-up issue we had was staple removal. In truth, stitches would have been much the better choice. The staple removal was a process she did not enjoy at all!

I know a dog/human comparison may not be the same, but Kudzu, what symptomatic presentations have you had?
Known so far that we are sure of. Maybe a little pain but ... well, it's been off & on for my whole life, so infrequent & so temporary that I never thought much about it. They do believe these are congenital. I have congenital cutaneous & subcutaneous hemangiomas to the multiple viscerals ones just seem like a "collect the whole set" thing. :D

The "splenic masses" were an incidental finding on an MRI of my spine. Spine folks were worried & suggested abdominal MRI. Internal med folks weren't worried about spleen since it's not enlarged, blood work is fine & I'm not having other problems. However, they strongly recommended I get my spine checked. :lol

ETA: I don't mean to make light of this. It doesn't bother me that I've got an odd spleen. If it were one of my loved ones, especially one could really speak for himself, I'd be very worried.

Edited by kudzu

Thank you for sharing that, Kudzu.

We still don't know what's wrong with Tessa. She got another shot of buprenorhine (sp?) at the regular vet's this afternoon, along with subQ fluids. Vet's sending the xrays to a radiologist because she has a concern but isn't sure it's related to her symptoms.

She didn't want her regular food but took a few treats and bits of bread.

She really is resisting falling asleep. I think the bupe has her a bit stoned. :( I want my silly girl back.

tiny hada siggy.png