Small Mass Removed From Jaynie's Tummy - Ideas?

A smaller version of this lump came up on Jaynie's tummy within the last 2 weeks or so. When I first noticed it, it was about 1/8" in diameter and not very bruised compared with now. I watched it hoping it was a little trauma and would go away.

It didn't, so last week I made a vet appointment for this morning just in case. On Tuesday (go / no go decision day) it was still about the same size but I could see it had been bleeding a little, so we kept the appointment. This morning it had broken open, looked twice the size, had clearly been bleeding, and as you can see there is a fair bit of bruising, at least comparatively.

The vet has removed it under a local (he gave her a Benedryl shot beforehand just in case it turns out to be mast cell). We should have the path report back Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

I am of course concerned, and curious to know if it looks like something identifiable that I can research in the meantime.

Thank you for your help.

Here is the picture. Lump is the dark thing on the left, a nipple is on the right. The lump is well up the side from the nipple line, i.e., it's not another nipple.

Jayniemass020713-2_zps2b68cbd5.jpg

Edited by Rickiesmom

Sammie had a histocytoma that looked like that shortly after he came home to live with us. It eventually went away on it's own.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

No way to know but my guess is hemangioma. Looks just like ones my boy gets & in one of his prime locations to get them. Hope that's all it is. :goodluck

Thank you. Based on a quick lookup, Jaynie's lump looks exactly like others that were diagnosed as hemangiomas. Hope the path report confirmed it!

Larry has had them since we got them -- one on his belly and one on his left butt cheek -- they grow, come off (and bleed!) then are flat again and starts all over. Sometimes it takes months for it to grow and sometimes overnight. The last time on the one on his belly literally tripled in size in just a few days.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Silver had one that would come and go, and sometimes it bled. She needed a biopsy for something else, so they snipped off the one she had (like Jaynie's, Silver's was on her chest and near a nipple; the vets kept doing a double-take and counting bumps to make sure they knew where they were). Hers was harmless, and it hasn't come back.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Larry has had them since we got them -- one on his belly and one on his left butt cheek -- they grow, come off (and bleed!) then are flat again and starts all over. Sometimes it takes months for it to grow and sometimes overnight. The last time on the one on his belly literally tripled in size in just a few days.

Our experience is consistent with that. Jaynie was actually at the vet 3 weeks ago to have what turned out to be a sebaceous adenoma removed. I did a complete double take when a week later this thing appeared out of nowhere, and after 2 weeks of being more or less well behaved, doubled in size overnight last night, along with the bleeding.

Breeze had a similar lump (not quite as big as that one) and the biopsy showed cutaneous hemangiosarcoma. Fortunately we got it early and was able to be completely excised. It was a good idea for you to have the vet take care of it. Good luck- hope it is benign! :goodluck

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

I have absolutely no idea what it is, but you know this already...my only hope is that it's benign and will never appear again. :grouphug for you and :kiss2 for Jaynie

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Butte has had a few removed. The first was a cutaneous hemangiosarcoma. The others were hemangiomas. I will be taking him again as he has two more. He is white, and I think that white dogs may be more prone to hemangios. If anyone knows please let me know.

Our vet told me yesterday that cutaneous hemangiosarcoma is caused by exposure to UV rays, so it often appears in an area with very little hair (like my Breeze's bald belly). So if the dog was exposed to sunlight (like racing in Florida) or laying out in the sun, that is when it is most prevalent.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Good news!

Joseph gets those, too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.