Prayers And Positive Thoughts For Diamond, Please

vjgrey

She's still doing the "drunken sailor" walk and won't eat any of the chicken and rice I offered her for dinner, but she's definitely in better shape than she was this morning. What a long, scary day. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad to see your updates, been thinking about you both all day. Wishing you both a peaceful night -- so glad Diamond is home with you! -- and hoping tomorrow is a much, much better day.

Can Diamond eat just a few little bites of something else? Treats? Pasta? Hot dogs? Canned food?

And Diamond? Stay off the sauce. It scares us.

We've tried all of her usual favorites, and the only thing she'll touch is peanut butter. She didn't even want cheese or yogurt, which she usually loves. If necessary, we'll pick up more tempting foods tomorrow. Sometimes she likes "smelly chicken" (canned in water) better than the freshly cooked.

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I'm sorry she doesn't even want cheese -- that's one of my fallbacks here. You probably have these on your list already, but a couple others are sardines, liverwurst and canned (pet food) green tripe. Stella will do one-handed cartwheels for liverwurst. Secret weapon for restarting an appetite, given in tiny morsels.

We don't have sardines or liverwurst on hand, but I did offer her green tripe, and she wasn't even a little interested. WAY unusual for any of my hounds. Usually, canned tripe = houndie crack. Hopefully her appetite will be better in the morning.

I am sorry you and Diamond had such a rough day. Saying prayers that she feels more like eating in the morning.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

She finally ate a little! Burpdog biscuits did the trick. She ate two biscuits and then a little chicken and rice. Magical things, those Burpdogs.

Guest borzoix4
She finally ate a little! Burpdog biscuits did the trick. She ate two biscuits and then a little chicken and rice. Magical things, those Burpdogs.

Wonderful news! Continued thoughts and prayers for a speedy recoverry! Would she eat some peanut butter toast with a bit of honey?

How are you holding up?

Pepcid helped Desi last week during his bout of inappetence. It wasn't a miracle, but it did ease his tummy enough

that I could get some food in him to keep him going til the issue resolved.

I have had the same results if the dog is on Pred. I am not sure why it takes the appetite away when on pred, but the pepcid sure did help to settle the stomach.

She's still wobbly but she's walking entirely on her own. As of last night, we still needed to use a sling. We did a very slow walk around the front yard with a harness, and she peed and pooped with no issues. She ate all of her breakfast (a little kibble with chicken and rice + Burpdog topping) and took her meds with peanut butter like a champ.

Now she's napping while I try to get some work done. SO grateful that I'm able to work from home.

She did have a dry cough last night that I'm a little concerned about, but it seemed to stop for a while when I gave her water, and I haven't heard it since we've been up and around. I left a message for her vet.

(She is taking Prilosec, by the way. Maybe it's starting to kick in, because her appetite is much better this morning. She even took treats, which she refused last night).

Edited by vjgrey

Glad shes starting to find her appetite. The cough may be from the trach tube.

Yep - that's what her vet said when she called me back. I suspected as much but wanted a little reassurance. Coughs scare me!

Great update! Keep it up Diamond!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh gosh, my heart was sinking (just seeing this now). I'm so sorry poor Diamond has been struggling so much! (You too!) What a relief that she's becoming more mobile, and glad her appetite is beginning to return.

Agreed that tripe usually tops all.

(Gerber's second stage, meat only baby food is another vet recommended fixture on our shelf as a "go to" for a rare, non-eating dog or cat. That specific baby food has no harmful spices for dogs like garlic and/or onion.)

Thank you for taking such great care of your special girl! Positive thoughts for her improvement...