Eating Dirt

Guest FinnsMom

Guest FinnsMom

Finn's latest thing is digging through the snow in the flower bed in the backyard to eat the soil. Is there a reason for this? Is he missing some vitamin/mineral in his diet? He is raw fed.

Now that I know he does it, I stand at the window and stop him because I don't know what pesticides, if any, are in the bags of soil you buy.

Ford has been doing it for years and now, all of a sudden, Dodge has started eating the dirt. I try to stop them as often as I can. Don't understand it and the Vets have no explanation for it.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest FinnsMom

My neighbor seems to think the soil is to settle an upset stomach in the same way he said they eat grass due to acid build-up. However, since there are so many speculations on the whole grass issue, my response to him was, I've never heard that one before. LOL

He was sick the morning after after eating the soil, so he either did have a tummy ache or the soil made him sick. So I just have to monitor and make sure he doesn't eat any more in case there is something in the soil.

More than likely, it is an upset tummy. Our vet recommends Generic Pepcid(Famotadine 10mg) 1 tablet twice daily for 1 week.

Older greys often get acid belly especially when their stomach is empty and she recommends 1 tablet given daily as a prerventative.

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Mine eat the dirt at certain times of the year - usually spring and fall. It's odd because they almost become obsessed with it for a while, and then just as quickly they aren't interested anymore :dunno It's very bizarre. This year they're all going to wear muzzles with stool guards because eating hunks of dirt just can't be good for them! :unsure

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest rdoyle225

If your dirt has a lot of clay in it then then they can be eating it to help with nurtralizling aced in the stomic. Birds in the Amazon to help with some of the poison fruit they eat.

Mine occasionally eat dirt. They have been known to murder defenseless potted houseplants for their soil. They prefer the bagged stuff over what's in the yard.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg