Anyone Have An Update On Freddy The Grey Being Treated At Osu?

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

There was a posting about Freddy, the little boy greyhound who needs all the prayers, love and good thoughts we can send him, as he was attacked at a kennel back east and suffered such severe injuries he needed to be transferred to OSU for multiple surgeries and intensive care.

There's a facebook page by Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation and an auction dedicated to funding his care.

But I can no longer find the post on greytalk to check for updates on his condition.

I posted an update with an email I got from the rescue late last night, but it appears the entire thread is deleted.

Does anyone have any information?

Thank you, hoping he is doing better poor guy....

Lynne

Guest lynne893

Thank you-- I did donate and kindly got a nice update email yesterday morning... but I'm so anxious to hear a more recent update... sorry to be impatient.

My main concern is what the heck happened to the post here on greysave about Freddy :)

Best to you and your hounds!

Lynne

From his webpage yesterday:

"Here are some other updates Freddy forgot to mention:

- After surgery yesterday, tissue looked like it was staying healthy during today’s bandage changes.

- Had a bit of infection, but looks like it was contained. Got all the yuck cleaned out.

- He doesn’t like the world to see his legs spread apart but wanted folks to see him in treatment.

- I asked if he could have a steak dinner on my dime. His resident surgeon Dr. Pugliese is going to cook for him.

- Started him on oral meds yesterday but Wed is going to be a BIG day. They’re going to stop his IV Fentanyl. If he doesn’t get upset tummy from the oral meds, he’ll move out of ICU into the soft tissue surgery dept where he’ll have a larger “suite” and a bit more ability to get out and about. Staying in that cage is cramping his style.

- He’s still walking on his own!!!"

Hang in there Freddy-we lubs you!

They also said that there are people there who will read to him and that his address is:

The Greyhound Health & Wellness Program

ATTN: FREDDY THE GREYHOUND

College of Veterinary Medicine

The Ohio State University

601 Vernon L. Tharp St.

Columbus, OH 43210

Edited by racindog

this was just posted in the monthly newsletter:

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to thank you all for the wonderful way you've been helping me out. I was pretty painful at first, but everyday things are getting better. I've had surgery twice and was hooked up to call kinds of pumps and tubes but guess what? I'm not in ICU anymore!!!

I still have to have my bandages changed two or three times a day, but it's ok with me because I get special treats. I have a big hotel room now and I can walk around and stretch my legs a bit. The doctors tell me that my right leg is questionable. I don't really know what that means...it sure does have a big bandage on it. The left leg has had the most surgery, but I heard today that good things are happening there. Not sure what that means either, but they gave me extra treats. Really what happened is that my special doctor whose name is Pugliese cooked up a big pork loin roast for me and I got to eat a whole bunch of it.

I would really appreciate getting some cards or letters. I'm going to be here a long time but the students said they'd read to me. Here's my address:

The Greyhound Program

Ohio State University
Attn: Freddy & Dr. Pugliese
601 Vernon Tharp Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210

Please keep thinking of me.

Love,

Freddy

Poor fella. I actually met him briefly when I was at OSU this week. He was surprisingly weight-bearing and eager to go outside for his potty break. I didn't know his story when I saw him, but Christine (Dr. Kellogg) filled me in. She showed me pics of a bandage change and debriding. Ouch. She said he's doing well, but they're still not sure if he's going to keep the leg.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest OPointyDog

Got this message this morning:

Hey everybody,
I have LOTS of news. First, take a look at me eating!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I know. They're wrapping me in pink. I've asked my secretary Christine to speak with the Drs about that but she doesn't want to upset the apple cart cuz guess what? My special surgeon Dr. Pugliese roasted me up a whole bunch of pork loins to eat and I'm lovin' it.

More good news. I'm not in ICU anymore!! I've had all the pumps and stuff taken away and now I get all my medicine in my food. Did I tell you that I'm getting fed 5 times a day. I love it.

My new hotel room is really big. I can move around more. For the very first time today, I was able to get up on my own. I didn't need any help. The bandages on my right leg are really big and stiff so it's kinda hard but I DID it!

The Drs say that my wounds are healing. They'll never fill in so I'm going to have some holes and I've heard them say that my right leg is questionable. Don't know what that means but for now I'm happy.

Do you have kids? Maybe they'd send me drawings to decorate my hotel room. It's kind of boring to look at when I'm laying down.

Here's my address
The Greyhound Program
Ohio State University Veterinary Center
Attn: Freddy & Dr. Pugliese
601 Vernon Tharp Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210
and thanks for thinking of me and sending me your love. It helps.
Freddy

Guest lynne893

Thank you for the updates! I think of this poor little fellow every day and continue to receive nice updates in my email inbox.

So glad he's progressing well!!

For those who don't get updates via Facebook. This is a post from 12:30 am today:

Hi everybody,

I'm writing on behalf of Freddy. He wanted to let you know some important news. The Drs. a OSU have started VAC therapy on Freddy's right leg. They actually attach a vacuum type apparatus to the wound and a suction pump that helps promote healing. Hopefully it will fill in enough so grafting can be done. Because of the specific bacteria in his wounds he's in isolation of sorts. With his new VAC machine he is being kept a little sleepy. He is sending you all lots of love, thanks for his cards and presents and he asks that you keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Christine (Freddy's secretary)

Thanks for the updates - we are all pulling for you Freddy :hope

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest OPointyDog

Another update this morning, with news he's in surgery again today:

Hello friends,
I thought it would be a good idea to say thank you again for all the wonderful presents, cards, donations and get well wishes everyone has sent me. I even got a gift basket today!! People have sent me blankies and stuffies to cuddle with and treats and all kinds of cool stuff.

I don't remember if I told you that the Drs found some nasty bugs in my wounds so now I have to stay in an area where I'm kinda by myself. Everyone that comes in has to wear funny blue suits and only a few people are allowed to visit with me. But they're really nice to me and my friend Dr. Pugliese sits in my cage with me and reads me cards and letters from people. Someone even sent lots of hugs and kisses and stuff. All of my things are kept in a special area just for me.

I wanted to read some of the cards myself so I opened up my cage today. I tried to go out visiting but they caught me as I peeked out the door. DARN!! It's a good thing I didn't get very far because I have this machine attached to my really sick leg that is helping it heal. I don't like it so I was tugging it along behind me hoping it would come off. It didn't.

I'm not sure but I think I heard the Drs saying I was going to have a big surgery on Thurs. They said something about sewing up part of one hole in my leg. I'm not scared.

They're keeping me a little sleepy.
Love,
Freddy

:hope you continue to improve

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest OPointyDog
Are you guys getting these updates via Facebook? I keep checking the OSU page, and the last post was from Feb. 3.

No, I donated money towards his care, and they e-mail updates to me periodically, along with photos. The e-mails seem to be more frequent than the updates on the webpage.

Guest OPointyDog
Update Feb 10th:
Hi everybody,
I haven't written in a while because Thursday I had surgery to close (means sewed up) my left thigh wound. They actually sewed a towel to my leg. The Drs say it keeps the pressure off the sewed line so it won't open up again. I'm including a picture for you to see but you don't have to look at it. It looks like a little chicken leg but it's really me. The other thigh wound still has a ways to go. The Drs are coming up with a plan but they won't let me go to the meetings. I tried though. I even let myself out of my cage but they saw me peeking through the window and put me back. They've given up closing my cage door cuz I just open it myself anyways. :) I can wander around this little room but I'm still in isolation cuz of the nasty bugs in my wounds. It's OK. My Dr friends come visit with me a lot.

Do you like the new napping pillow I have around my neck? The Drs put it on so I don't nibble on my bandages but I can still get to them sometimes cuz I'm a clever guy. It's really better just for napping.

The auction on Facebook for me ends tonight at 5pm. Everybody's been so good helping raise money for me.

I'm doing really well here. I get lots of special treats that you have sent me. I'm going to be here another 2-3 weeks cuz I have more surgeries ahead so if you want to send more treats and cards I'd appreciate it. Let me know if you need my address.

Love,
Freddy

Anyone know the final total on the auction?

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest OPointyDog

I'd like to know, too.

Here's the latest update - sounds like he's holding his own:

I just wanted to say hi. Not much going on these days. Waiting to see if the wound they fixed on my left thigh is healed. I get kinda bored sometimes but I really, really LOVE to eat treats. I'm being SO lazy. I may have some big news Friday morning. I'll let you know as soon as I'm sure.
Love,
Freddy