Spencer Has Higher Liver Values - Biopsy Result At Post 82

Was his ultrasound today? Checking for update if so -- hope all is well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for asking, Jey. It was today, there was a biopsy of the liver, the results of which should be back from analysis on Monday. The internist showed me the pictures from the US, and she believes the irregularities she sees on the liver are from one of two things, either degeneration of the liver or hepatocarcinoma. If the latter, it's a very slow progression, she said. A mildly enlarged spleen was also noted.

The bad part is they turned Spencer back over to me a mere hour after they finished the procedure, and it turns out that was too soon. Had to take him to his regular vet after he'd been panting at home for a long time, his tongue swelled, and it turned purple. They applied cool cloths, although his temp was only 102, because he had worked himself into a state, and they gave him oxygen for about 20 minutes. They kept him, though, for a couple more hours to help him chill. Meanwhile, I came home and reconstructed his crate (the kind held together with long skewers) so we can keep him from pacing. It seems that the internist gave him either butorphanol or acepromazine to calm him down before the US, and it made him more upset after the procedure. Combined with the anaesthetic and whatnot, well, Spencer found the effect most upsetting. His regular vet thinks that's not shocking in a dog with his kind of liver issues.

Probably should have known things wouldn't go totally smoothly when I awoke with a headache and then stepped fully in dog poop with both shoes on the way into the internist's office! Anyway, Spencer's over in his crate, still panting, but they expect he'll calm further as time goes on. And I'm wiped out but thrilled to have him home. So I hope things settle down and we don't have to take him to the ER for more oxygen. :hope

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Poor Spencer and you too! I hope you both get a good sleep tonight.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh my goodness. I'd hoped you'd have a smoother time of it. Sounds like possibly not *too* horrible news tho ......

Really hope your boy settles and is back to himself soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ack-no doubt he reacted to the Torb :-(. I'm glad it's over-let's hope you'll receive an answer from the pending pathology. The Torb effects should wear off soon. Make sure they place a caution in his chart to avoid opiates if at all possible in the future.

Btw-I don't believe his reaction had anything to do with his liver function--IMO it's just because he's a greyhound ;-)

Edited by tbhounds

Ack-no doubt he reacted to the Torb :-(. I'm glad it's over-let's hope you'll receive an answer from the pending pathology. The Torb effects should wear off soon. Make sure they place a caution in his chart to avoid opiates if at all possible in the future.

Btw-I don't believe his reaction had anything to do with his liver function--IMO it's just because he's a greyhound ;-)

Thanks, Tracy. He finally quit panting so hard, at 8:30 (PST). But now he's opening and shutting his mouth every second, like that puppet dog in the old nestle commercial, and has thick saliva hanging out. Please tell me this isn't a seizure.

ETA: His tongue is looking purpley again. Should I be thinking ER at some point for more oxygen?

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Just seeing this...hopefully Spencer's acting more normal by now, or you took him to the ER. Opening and closing his mouth like that and a purple tongue are very concerning... Any updates?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Just seeing this...hopefully Spencer's acting more normal by now, or you took him to the ER. Opening and closing his mouth like that and a purple tongue are very concerning... Any updates?

I emailed his regular vet, asking at what point we should consider the ER. She said this is all very hard on his old body and the ER is probably a good idea if we can do it. But by the time I got that reply, he had been out to potty and was resting more or less quietly in his crate. (btw, he had peed and had a bm in his crate, in place, because he never even stood up. Does that sound seizure-y? And what does the mouth opening-closing mean?) So I emailed her back and said I hate to bother him now that he seems more settled; but if it starts up again, off to the ER we'll go.

Edited by greyhead

Hard to say without seeing it (can you get it on video if he does it again?), but I've seen dogs open and close their mouths like that when they're having trouble breathing. Especially going from panting to doing that, and coupled with the purple tongue, I'd be concerned about him not getting enough oxygen. But if he seems more settled now, is breathing normally, and his tongue is pink, hopefully that was just a one-time episode.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Hard to say without seeing it (can you get it on video if he does it again?), but I've seen dogs open and close their mouths like that when they're having trouble breathing. Especially going from panting to doing that, and coupled with the purple tongue, I'd be concerned about him not getting enough oxygen. But if he seems more settled now, is breathing normally, and his tongue is pink, hopefully that was just a one-time episode.

he got unsettled again. we're off to the ER. Hope they don't make it worse. Should be okay if we just stick to oxygen, right?!

My gosh you both have been having an awful time of it. Good thoughts and prayers for you both.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We took Spencer to the ER last night for oxygen, but it was too late. It breaks my heart to tell you, but he’s gone.

The ER vet thought Spencer might have aspirated fluid and developed pneumonia yesterday after we brought him home from his regular vet's ministrations. He gave him oxygen at 40% in the oxygen chamber, but his oxygen saturation was only 84 with that, and he couldn’t “calm down.” After much debate, the vet recommended giving him some butorphanol (sp?) and then x-raying if he calmed down, treating for pneumonia in any case. We didn't quite hear how grave the situation was. Shortly after we got home, they called and said they either had to intubate him or put him down. They intubated while we were on the phone and explained that we were going to lose him either way. There were no options left at all. They kept him going for us until we could get back there 20 minutes later to say goodbye. His oxygen saturation was 71 at that point, even on 100% oxygen. We had him disconnected after a while, and he left a little before 1 a.m.

The ER vet, without knowing anything beyond what we could tell me, speculated that Spencer may have had lung mets. After spending a couple thousand yesterday, only to lose him, we couldn't afford a necropsy, much as we would like to know what the matter was. The results from the biopsy should be back Monday, and I'll ask a mod to reopen this thread (which I assume will be locked before then) so I can share that info, in case it helps someone else.

Poor Shane has never known life as an only dog. :sad2 I'll post in Remembrance when I can get it together.

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

ME - Just got caught up and read the whole story, and so sorry for what all of you had to go through last night. It breaks my heart and I have been crying while reading all this. Please know we are thinking of you, and as I said in my FB message, when you are ready, call me and we can get Shane together with Toley. {Hugs}

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

My update disappeared without posting. I'll try again, but off site, then cut and paste.

Edited by greyhead

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Just no words to express how sorry.

Godspeed, beloved boy.

Oh no! I'm so very sorry for your loss. Godspeed Spencer.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We took Spencer to the ER last night for oxygen, but it was too late. It breaks my heart to tell you, but he’s gone. (ETA: Oh, I see the cat's already out of the bag.)

The ER vet thought Spencer might have aspirated fluid and developed pneumonia yesterday after we brought him home from his regular vet. He gave him oxygen at 40% in the oxygen chamber, but he couldn’t “calm down,” and he recommended giving him some butorphanol and then x-raying if he calmed down, treating for pneumonia in any case. His oxygen sat at that point was 84 even after 30 minutes in the chamber. After much discussion we agreed to that plan. But we didn't really understand how grave the situation was.

Shortly after we got home, they called and said they either had to intubate him or put him down. They intubated while we were on the phone and explained that we were going to lose him either way. There were no options left at all. They kept him going for us until we could get back there 20 minutes later to say goodbye. His oxygen saturation was 71 at that point, even on 100% oxygen. We had him disconnected after a while, and he left a little before 1 a.m.

The ER vet thinks that whether there was or wasn't pneumonia, Spencer may have had lung mets. After spending a couple thousand yesterday and losing him anyway, we didn't think we could afford a necropsy, as much as we would have liked one. The test results from the biopsy will be back by Monday, and I'll try to update as to whether it was liver cancer or not. (Maybe mods can unlock threads for that limited purpose?) The ER staff and Skip and I all agreed that this was a very *stupid* way for Spencer to go, meaning it shouldn't have got that far, and after all the tough stuff he powered through in the past. I blame myself for letting the internist give him back to me too soon, when he was so rubbery; for not taking him to the ER right when his regular vet closed; and for wanting to believe things were better than they were. Heart-breakingly stupid.

Thanks for all the support here. I'll post in Remembrance when I can.

Edited by greyhead

I am so very sorry :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway