Spencer Has Higher Liver Values - Biopsy Result At Post 82

Oh no! I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DH, here. Thank you all so much for all your support both duirng this last battle, and for all the time throughout Spencer's life with us.

I am a DH. Spencer and Shane are my dawgs. Mosby is The Cat. Greyhead is our wife (pronounced woof).

Guest OPointyDog

I'm so sorry to hear you lost Spencer. Please don't beat yourself up over the decisions you made. We all do the best we can with the information we have at the time, and I am sure he would not want you to suffer. :grouphug

You have nothing to feel stupid about. Nothing. You did everything you could, for a dog you loved and who loved you right back.

My heart goes out to you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry. You did nothing stupid. He was home where he wanted to be. I understand the pain of such a loss. I lost my girl after a dental in November. The vet kept her on CPR until I could get there to say goodbye. You loved him. Enough said.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

The internist called with the biopsy results on Saturday. It wasn't cancer. So based on the ultrasound, it was a degenerative process in the liver.

Though my regular vet emailed me that her practice is shocked and grieving, she said it was too emotional to call. So I haven't processed it with her, and she has an ER report that I haven't seen. But based on our conversation when she gave him oxygen that last afternoon, it's likely that the butorphanol plus the acepromazine he was given before the ultrasound, on top of the morning tramadol I'd been told to go ahead and give him, followed by anesthesia with propophol was way more than his impaired liver could handle. The ER gave him more butorphanol, at a point of desperation, but he was already too far gone to be anything but pushed further to the edge by that, I think.

We don't know if he had any other underlying problems. He may have had some lung impairment beforehand, for instance, that played into this outcome. (One of his sisters, I'm told, died a year or so ago of a tumor or mass in a lung.)

It's interesting that when she also looked at his intestines with the US, the walls were not thickened anymore. So it looks like his treatment had the IBD beaten back into submission. Truly, his poops were of very high quality the last few months and his appetite was usually excellent. Just wanted to end this with that weak note of triumph.

The Remembrance thread has been posted now. One day I may go to Soap Box to wail and rant about everything, but not tonight and not in this thread. Thanks again for your love and concern, which have meant the world to Skip and I. :heart

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

:grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****