Saying A Mostly-To-Pass-The-Time-Before-I-Get-My-Hound Hello From The

Guest kmcmcf

....Ozarks, whoops (did not see the character limit there).

Hello, everyone! After years of reading the forums for research, I decided I should finally join, since, pending a cat test and her spay surgery, I'll be picking up my first grey in a week or so! Her name is Cora. She's an 18-month-old brindle girl, petite, grew up on the breeding farm, and never raced (barely any prey drive, only slightly higher play drive), which makes her perfect for what I'm adopting her as - a service/medical alert dog candidate. She's a bit puppyish even for her age, but from the hour or so that I spent with her last week when I drove out to run some tests, still scary smart and super chill. They told me it would be at least two weeks before she was ready (kennel's pretty full at the moment, so they have to wait to spay her until a bottom row spot is open), which means it's at least another week before I can bring her home, and I'm ridiculously excited!

Everyone wish us luck, in getting her home, starting her training, and of course eventually becoming a seamless working team! Since I'm disabled and housebound 95% of the time (severe treatment-resistant anxiety disorders are such fun) I know I'll have all the time in the world to devote to her, but would appreciate good vibes to smooth the way all the same :goodluck

Edited by kmcmcf

Welcome from Central IL. Hope Cora turns out to be the best Service Dog ever!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

She's a bit immature and puppyish for her age

That's completely normal for greyhounds. Most of them don't "grow up," until they're about three. My almost five year-old isn't even sure he's done with the puppy stage. :ghplaybow

Alway, congrats and welcome to Greytalk! Adopting your first hound is SUCH an amazing, life-changing thing. I've always had dogs, but these guys are super, extra special.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

lol yes I've read that, I just meant even as a still-puppy she's REALLY puppy-ish (like, more than even most 2-year-olds or near-2-year-olds the adoption group sees, they've told me). it's okay, though, me and my trainer are both looking forward to it ;D and thank you!

Guest undergreysspell

Welcome and congratulations! Mine is almost 7 and still acts like a puppy - but its the best ever to watch her run and play ! Good luck, I look forward to stories and pictures as you train her.

Great news! I hope you're pleased with your new girl.

I have acute anxiety issues that keep me at home a lot too... Having my two dogs does help in a lot of ways :)

I can imagine - my cats definitely already help a ton, and there's multiple studies showing being around pets increases hormones like oxytocin or serotonin that are decreased in the brains of people with anxiety problems. Unfortunately, mine've gotten so bad that I need a service animal to do mobility, guide, and grounding work for physical symptoms in public, but just having her around will be a boon, I'd definitely be getting one even if I didn't need her for support. ESA high five!!

Greetings from Portland, Oregon. You must post pictures as soon as she comes home with you :-)

definitely looking forward to getting her home where I can get proper photos with a DSLR, but in the meantime, there's a few several photos down on my instagram if you'd like a look :)

Edited by kmcmcf

Isn't just the cutest little girlie hound...congratulations

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

What a wonderful event to look forward to... Wishing you and Cora the best!

(I saw her on Instagram - what a cutie-pie!)

:gh_bow

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

ty again everyone! and if anyone wants to see her in action, i took a video of her playing - i'd recommend watching on mute bc the audio's all wind and me being awkward as heck, but all the same :D

Edited by kmcmcf

there's a few several photos down on my instagram if you'd like a look :)

Greytalkers on Instagram here: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/286791-instagram-are-you-on-it/page-1

Welcome! :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

got Cora home yesterday after more than two weeks wait! she's been very very nervous and prone to locking up/shutting down, which was worrying, at first, since I adopted her as a service dog candidate, but after many reassurances from my friends and family i'm pretty sure her temperament will level out to just as bomb-proof as she was when i tested her a few weeks ago.

despite uneventful introductions where they did nothing but hiss and puff up a bit, she's especially terrified of my cats (be careful when you wish for a non-racer with no prey drive, y'all) and refuses to walk past them, but it's progressed from me having to carry her to the door, to her going with just a little nudging, and does great on the leash once outside, even if she still refuses to go to the bathroom. baby steps!

and she's already making a great portrait subject! :D

8449661338_a414a68c3a_z.jpg