Puncture Wound In Head

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

So yesterday my hounds were having a kong treat. Left the room to go to the bathroom, dumb. Foster hound decided that he wanted the kong that my oldest female had (we call her the pit viper because she will not hesitate to correct hounds for space infringement) and next thing heard is GSOD. Run in and find Jesse running out of the room. Upon closer inspection it is noted that Jesse has two puncture wounds in the top of her head directly between the eyes. Now one thing to note is that Jesse is a roman nose hound. She has a very deformed nose (as far as greyhounds go), it is about 3" shorter than typical, her bottom jaw is also deformed, her canine teeth really don’t fit inside her mouth because of the malformation. Not sure if it matters about her skull structure or not. Her head between her eyes where the two holes are will expand and contract with Jesse's breathing. It is a bit disturbing to see. My wife took Jesse to our regular vet and had x-rays done. The vet was not comfortable with the x-rays and referred us for a surgical consult. We were told that there is a deep puncture wound into the nasal cavity. She (vet) says that her concern is that there may be a small piece of bone moving around that may not heal correctly and that is why she wants us to see a surgeon. Now for my question: What other problems can arise from a puncture wound to the sinus cavity, other than the obvious infections (she is on antibiotics)? We have an appt today at noon with the surgeon so I am just thinking out loud here to see if anyone has any questions that I should take to the appt. Thanks.

Chad

Guest FawnFan

Poor girl. Hope she's feeling better soon. And I second msjpk's comments - sorry you're going through this and hope everything works out well.

As for questions, I'd want to know if the nasal cavity will heal on it's own or will they have to surgically repair it after taking the piece of bone out (if there is a piece of bone). Will this cause her problems with her breathing? Will she be prone to sinus infections and or sinus problems now? What do we watch for? Essentially how is this injury going to affect her going forward and what do we need to watch out for if there are any problems especially given her existing facial deformities.

Good luck with your appointment! Hoping for lots of good news!

Given what you have described I would also ask if there is any opportunity, if you are going to surgery, to do anything additional to help her. Not suggesting anything major, but something incremental that would be of acceptable scope in terms of risk, recovery and cost, but help her out going forward.

No advice, just sending best wishes for an easy surgery and fast recovery for your darling little girl. Keep us posted, OK?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sure the vet already checked but, just in case he/she was so focused on the bites .... are the eyes OK? From what you are saying where the bite marks are, it seems that the eyes could also been scratched and probably need to be examined with the special tool they have.

The eyes, nose, throat, ears all seem to be interconnected as a medical specialty so, I would ask whether this would cause any issues in the ears or the throat (get the eyes checked per above) .. if I remember right, when the sinus fill they will drain into the throat (?) and if so, could the bone get dislodged and move into the throat ... probably not likely but I always "think out of the box".

I would be concerned that the holes are opening and closing when she is breathing because it means that the quantity of air that is being taken in is not reaching the lungs ... granted, it's only a small amount that is escaping but, it could cause some breathing issues.

I would ask about scar tissue impeding the sinuses. Not sure if it makes any difference or if you'll see an increase in sinus infections. Hopefully the sinuses will function normally after the surgery. Keeping your sweetie in my prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

oh, poor Jesse :( :( :( sending many healing hugs! :hope :Hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Back from surgical consult. Nothing to do. The infraction was into the sinus cavity. Jesse's neuro exam went well, as well as her eye exam to rule out damage to her eyes. Vet believes that 2 weeks of antibiotics and 4 weeks of rest will be enough to ensure a full recovery.

glad she's doing ok!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Give little girl some scritchies for me and tell her to follow orders :lol until she is 100% well :wub: :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FawnFan

Awesome news! I hope she heals quickly and suffers no effects from this incident. What a sweet girl. And thank you for opening your heart and your home to fostering her.