Lola Lost Weight After Cooper Passed Away

Guest crazy4greys

Guest crazy4greys

After her buddy Cooper passed away, Lola stopped eating. I tried everything I could to get her to eat. She at least would drink, but would not touch her food. She would just lay there looking so sad and depressed. Just last week she started to eat again. We were at the vet for a regular check up for Winnie, my other grey, and I asked for Lola to get weighed, She lost 14#s :(

We upped her food by 1 cup to try to get her to gain weight. Is there anything else we can do for her? She looks awful :(

Ohhh poor sweetie. I had a hard time getting weight on Myka when she first arrived so I started mixing in a little cottage cheese and it did the trick.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Don't go too rich on Lola's food, but give her more of her regular foods if she'll eat them. Typically, figure it will take at least as long to put the weight back as it did to lose it in the first place. Since you don't want to overfeed her at a single sitting (or even a couple of meals), you might see if you can lure her into eating several small meals in the course of the day, and a nice bedtime snack. If Winnie is going to expect food at the same time, she can just have smaller-than-usual meals to keep her calorie count down to something reasonable.

But you don't want to do fat balls or something else rich like that: Lola's lost so much weight, and she can't afford to get diarrhea from a sudden influx of richer-than-usual meals.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Poor baby :( , and poor worried person.

If she's eating, she should gain it back over several weeks.

If she isn't interested in that much kibble, could add @ 1/3 pound cooked, not-too-fatty ground beef to each meal. That would provide a nice lot of calories with less bulk. (But, if she does well on her kibble and eats it up, I would stick with that.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest borzoix4

Poor baby is grieving. We went through the same when nina was killed as Lindsey stop eating..

Try this..

we added b complex half tablet ( aids for depression and stress) in a hot dog early am. While when Nina was killed, after a month we got Lindsey a new playmate, this might help. adding a compatable house playmate might help- but let her pick the one out.

They do grieve.. I have seen several times. Even washing blankets might help.

Poor baby.

Dawson also grieved for a long time after Dawn passed. He walked around the house with his head held low. He needed Ziggy a lot and they had never been close. They needed each other. But, it still didn't help. The only thing that made Dawson happy was the addition of Myrtle, our 2 year old spitfire.

Guest crazy4greys

Thanks everyone for suggestions. We will start with more smaller meals throughout the day then if that doesn't work, we will try the other suggestions.

We are not able to adopt another friend at this point. We are still paying off vet bills from Tucker's passing in November as well as Cooper's vet bills.

Guest crazy4greys
:cry1 No advice, just thoughts for your girl. Amazing how they can be affected by grief just like us.

Thanks. I really had no idea she would act like this :(

I have no advice just (((hugs))) for your sweet girl. When my Bliss died Dart didn't even blink. I shudder to think what will happen with these 2 though; they are truly a bonded pair.

Thanks. I lost a total of 3 hounds in 10 months. Lola is the only one who was affected by loosing a friend. The one thing I thought of was the other 2 passed away at home and Cooper we had to rush to the vet to be helped to the bridge. Lola never saw him leave but she knew he was in pain (he had Osteo). I just feel so bad for her :cry1

Edited by crazy4greys

I am so sorry Lola is having such a hard time.

Hopefully, the small meals will help. Another thing I have heard to help jump-start appetite is brewer's yeast. I haven't used it for that, but it might be another possibility for you.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties