Bella Is Vomiting And Seems Listless

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cwholsin

So so sorry for your loss. She isn't suffering anymore and I know she knows how much you love her. Healing hugs from us to you.

I'm so very sorry.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Scouts_mom

I am so sorry your Bella had to leave you. You have just experienced a dog owner's worse nightmare. My thoughts are with you. :gh_run

Leptospirosis is a horrible disease--a friend's dog got it and barely survived and she was a city dog--never saw a deer in her life, so it can come from other sources as well. After seeing how badly and quickly it got her, I have started having my dogs routinely vacinated against it. If you get another dog, you should look into the vacinations. It makes more sense to me than many other vacinations, such as kennel cough which is rarely bad in an adult dog.

Guest undergreysspell

I'm so sorry you lost your Bella - I've always declined the lepto vaccine for my dogs, but maybe I should reconsider. Godspeed Bella.

I am so very sorry Bella is gone.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry for your broken heart. You were able to be with Bella when she needed you, that's huge, and she knew you were there. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so sorry your Bella had to leave you. You have just experienced a dog owner's worse nightmare. My thoughts are with you. :gh_run

Leptospirosis is a horrible disease--a friend's dog got it and barely survived and she was a city dog--never saw a deer in her life, so it can come from other sources as well. After seeing how badly and quickly it got her, I have started having my dogs routinely vacinated against it. If you get another dog, you should look into the vacinations. It makes more sense to me than many other vacinations, such as kennel cough which is rarely bad in an adult dog.

The vet mentioned this to me. I will definitley look into it in the future. I had no real indication anything was wrong until the day I took her in. I wonder how long the virus was in her system and if there was any way I could have saved her if I took her in earlier. Everything seemed so normal until the day she stopped eating and became lethargic.

Thank you all for your kind and caring thoughts and condolences. Eventhough she did not survive the sickness, I still belive that all the prayers helped her to be happy and affectionate to an extent when we were with her. The vet even mentioned that she was more emotionally alert than others in her level of condition. So our time together was real quality time.

Edited by LadyGrey

OMG, what a shock. I'm so sorry your lovely Bella is gone. I had no idea Lepto was so devastating!

I think we've all learned something valuable from this - Lepto vaccinations. I'm just so sorry you paid the ultimate price.

Hugs to you as you mourn your precious girl.

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Leptospirosis is actually caused by bacteria rather than a virus. It's treated with antibiotics. Treatment is usually successful if you catch it before symptoms are severe -- which can be difficult because sometimes there's little or nothing in the way of symptoms early on, and often little or nothing to suggest leptospirosis as opposed to some other illness that causes vomiting, dehydration, general "not doing right." As in LadyGrey's hound :( .

Rotten insidious disease.

The vaccine is short lasting -- you have to give it every 9-12 months. It protects against several of the main strains found in the U.S. but not all strains :( . In the past, some people felt that if a dog had a vaccine reaction, it would be to the lepto vaccine. My one "icky vaccine reactions" dog never reacted to it. I give it annually.

LadyGrey, you might want to talk to your human doc about getting tested yourself, and to the vet about testing any other pets in your home. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you, Batmom for your helpful information. Bella was our last pet in the house and it is just the two of us now. However, I will talk to my husband about both of us being tested by our GP as soon as we can get appointments. THanks again!!

I have washed all her linens in bleach as well as her food containers. I did read that that may be a good thing to do.

Edited by LadyGrey

Guest Scouts_mom

If you have neighbors who care about their dogs, you might mention to them that Lepto is in the neighborhood and they should get their dogs vaccinated.

The vet mentioned this to me. I will definitley look into it in the future. I had no real indication anything was wrong until the day I took her in. I wonder how long the virus was in her system and if there was any way I could have saved her if I took her in earlier. Everything seemed so normal until the day she stopped eating and became lethargic.

Thank you all for your kind and caring thoughts and condolences. Eventhough she did not survive the sickness, I still belive that all the prayers helped her to be happy and affectionate to an extent when we were with her. The vet even mentioned that she was more emotionally alert than others in her level of condition. So our time together was real quality time.

Please don't beat yourself up. My Hailey was diagnosed with Stage 4 renal failure in September and I was absolutely blindsided by the diagnosis, but I have been told by every vet she's seen that often they don't become symptomatic until the disease is quite advanced.

I am so sorry she had to leave you :grouphug:grouphug

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Guest cwholsin

Please don't let yourself play the what if game, it'll kill you. You did everything you could when it became clear that you needed to. I'm glad that her last time with you was good time so she could really feel all your love for her. I hope you can find peace quickly and that another special hound comes along when the time is right. Our hearts go out to you. Losing a beloved pet is very hard. We lost our 6 yearold kitty to some kind of GI cancer last Christmas and up until the end we all thought it was a stress reaction and allergies causing all the GI problems. We had rehomed him to help his allergies, which it did, and he was gone 2 months later. His new family was with him when he went, so we never got to say goodbye. Treasure your last moments with Bella, they are so special. Edited by cwholsin