Update On Henry's Seizures; Neurologist

I took Henry in for his neurology consultation today. After giving him an exam and reviewing his file, the vet concluded that it is most likely epilepsy. She said that because he's been having the seizures for two years and that they've only gradually gotten worse, there's no real reason to go further into diagnostics with MRIs, etc. The possibility of a tumor of traumatic brain injury are very low, given his age and symptoms.

We discussed options for meds and settled on zonisamide. Even though it's metabolized in the liver, only two dogs in the ten-year study went into kidney failure. It also has the lowest incidence of side effects and doesn't require ongoing blood and bile tests like KBr. Because his seizures are still mild (just more frequent) she felt like this would be the best first-line treatment. I was happy that I did the consult because the only meds our regular vet has experience with are Pb and Keppra. The neurologist also allowed me to have a good amount of input in his treatment which was very comforting.

I'll post in a few months as our journey continues.

That was one of the (many) Rainey was on, but we started with Keppra and added the Zoni. I'm hoping it will do more for him (and I'm sure it will, with Rainey it was DEFINITELY not just regular epilepsy, so that would explain why nothing worked well).

don't know where you get it from, but Costco at non-insurance price was less than even Walgreen's prescription club, way less, on all her meds.

sending hugs and prayers the Zoni does the trick!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Glad you were happy with the consult and hoping the medication will work and Henry will be seizure free as a result.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Since it is metabolized through the liver I would suggest using milk thistle to protect the liver from any damaging effects of the zonisamide.
Oh, this is good advice. I almost forgot. Is Denamarin or milk thistle something I get from the vet?

How old is your Henry? Hope he will do well on the new meds!
Just turned 5.

I get milk thistle bark powder from our local health food store, make a "tea" and add to food. It has a very "slippery" consistency, but you will figure out how best to handle it.

Denamarin is available from your Vet, as well as online, although the manufacturer is making an effort to minimize 2nd party sources.

Good luck !

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Lucy started on Zonisamide and it worked well for 1 year and at one point, we had almost 5 months seizure free. She recently started clustering so, we ended up adding KeppraER. I was very happy with the Zonisamide while it worked - less side effects overall and the cost was reasonable compared with the rest of the drugs out there. Some people have mentioned that some dogs on Zonisamide hit a brick wall - it works great for about one or two years and then it doesn't work. It looks like that happened with Lucy but, I'm still good with my decision to use zonisamide as the first line of treatment.

You may want to make sure that you get a "cluster buster". I use rectal Valium for Lucy. Chances are it will never happen with your dog but, you use a cluster buster if there is more than 1 seizure in 24 hours. Using something like rectal Valium after a second seizure (in less than 24 hours) lessons the chances of having additional seizures. If you don't have a method to handle clusters, you end up going to the ER and they might put the dog on a drip with a few nights in the hospital and you can end up with a big bill.

I also picked zoni for Thunder (my foster) for the same reasonss that you posted and what I'd heard about pheono and how Passion acted on pheno. He started zoni last July.

Thunder did great for 5 weeks and then clustered. The blood test to check the zoni level was $385 (I think) and it was in the theraputic level which means it wasn't working for him. Vet said if we stopped the zoni, the seizures would prob get worse so now he's still on the zoni plus added in pheno. He's still having seizures on both drugs but they are not as bad.

His monthly meds are almost $80 a month. He gets 8 pills a day. Pheno blood check is first 30 days and every 6 months after.

Long story short, I should have just started him on the pheno. None of the greyhound vets here use zoni as a first choice, I've asked around.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Long story short, I should have just started him on the pheno. None of the greyhound vets here use zoni as a first choice, I've asked around.

I don't think this necessarily means the zonisamide is the 'wrong' first choice drug. It's fairly new to veterinary medicine, and very few general practice vets have started using it as a first line drug. But more and more of the neurologists are. I'm not sure if it's been used often enough as a first/sole agent to really assess whether it's more or less effective than pheno. When I asked our local neurologist, he said that he's seen similar efficacy between pheno alone vs zoni alone. But results different between individuals.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

We decided to try the Zonisamide first because the seizures are still very mild. When he has them, it lasts maybe a minute, minute and a half. Afterwards, he bounces back well and it's as if nothing happened. He's never had a cluster (although we do have rectal Valium on hand just in case).

wonderful!!! :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway