"kissing"

Guest chigal950

Guest chigal950

Hi everyone,

I've adopted a new grey over the weekend and she is very puppyish and cute and loving. We have lots of behavioral training we will need to work on but I have one I've never encountered before - she likes to "give kisses" - little licks of your hand, face, pant leg etc. It appears to be affectionate and she does it more when she's excited. Any successful methods for stopping this?

Guest Giselle

It's a very juvenile behavior. As you noted, it happens most when she's excited so why don't you teach her a different behavior to perform instead of licking you? For example, teach her to grab a toy and you can play tug with her instead. Or you can teach her to spin. Or teach her to "Back" and lie down away from you. You have infinite options :) Choose something fun and stick with it.

Eli does the same thing... He's 2 and acts like a big sweet baby. I haven't gotten him to stop licking yet, but I have noticed he doesn't do it as often if I consistently stop whatever I was doing and walk away. I happen to think it's cute, but my parents disagree :lol

If she's giving kisses when you're petting her or interacting with her and you'd like it to stop, try stopping whatever you're doing with her until she stops licking. She'll figure out eventually that slapping her tongue on you isn't something you like and will make you go away, which is the opposite of what she wants. With Eli, it usually happens when I pet him and then stop, so he does it because he wants to be petted. If he licks more than a light lick or two (sometimes he'll go nuts and lick like he's trying to eat my hands) I take my hands away. If he's insistent and slurps all over me, I get up and walk away for a minute. If I do it consistently enough, he seems to get the idea. It's not really the sort of thing I want to "correct" with an "ah-ah", though sometimes I'll say "Keep your tongue to yourself" and he gets the meaning from my tone. Haha

Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Kissing sounds cute but I always take into consideration how anything my Annie does affects other people. I want a polite dog who is welcomed by others. Personally, I'm not big on being kissed by a dog. I put it in the same category as a dog who jumps. I find it annoying. Others don't mind, but I rather err on the side of caution and discourage it rather than encourage it.

Guest chigal950

Yes, it is extremely cute, but I expect visitors to be comfortable in my home and for my dogs to be well behaved. Most people don't appreciate a dog licking their hand/face/pant leg. It may be cute once or twice, then it gets annoying.

Thanks for the helpful/supportive comments. :)

Regarding Greyt_dog_lover's comment: By "a lot" of behavioral training, what I meant was that she is essentially a puppy. She was not fostered and we are starting at the beginning. We have everything to go from learning her name, to lying down on command, to NOT chewing on things or countersurfing, to not being too wild and flinging her toys all over the house. She is good natured and seems eager to please, so I don't think it will take very long before we have her settled in.

Guest cwholsin

I think a happy medium is to teach her to do it on command, essentially. When she does it, tell her 'Kisses' or 'kissies' or whatever you like and discourage it when you're not asking for it and give her the word and praise her when you do want it, that way you can still have kisses once she grows out of the puppy submissive stage and doesn't do it all the time anymore :)

I think a happy medium is to teach her to do it on command, essentially. When she does it, tell her 'Kisses' or 'kissies' or whatever you like and discourage it when you're not asking for it and give her the word and praise her when you do want it, that way you can still have kisses once she grows out of the puppy submissive stage and doesn't do it all the time anymore :)

I agree with this. We can tell Henry, "I want a kiss!!" and he does it on command. Otherwise, he never does it. Good luck :)

Guest Giselle
I havent yet met a greyhound that needs "lots of behavioral training".

Honestly now, what kind of comment is this? What about the greys who are leash reactive, who are overly excitable, who are spooks, etc? While greys are beautiful and unique dogs, I think we sometimes forget that they are DOGS and that all dogs have the same basic neural circuitry to feel pain, fear, excitement, arousal, nervousness, etc. And all dogs have the risk of letting those behaviors turn into undesirable habits. Giselle, fortunately, didn't *need* a lot of training, but I gave it to her anyways, and she lived a very enriched life.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

What I meant by my statement is that the greyhound as a whole are very easy going, without a lot of your "typical" behavor issues that you get with dogs that people raise from puppys that have no business doing so. Greys that are leash reactive, overly excitable, these both I believe have a lot to do with the human on the other end of the leash. With greyhounds unique upbringing, they dont usually have issues like other dogs.

I personally LOVE getting kissies from Larry -- it makes him even more endearing :):kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'd teach it on command or stop it altogether. Perhaps even teach it to be done only to the person who likes it, maybe your husband? I've never minded being "kissed" by my own dog... but with Summer, she doesn't do it at all and I like it better! Also, it is NOT a desirable behavior if you ever want to do therapy dog work.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Honestly now, what kind of comment is this? What about the greys who are leash reactive, who are overly excitable, who are spooks, etc? While greys are beautiful and unique dogs, I think we sometimes forget that they are DOGS and that all dogs have the same basic neural circuitry to feel pain, fear, excitement, arousal, nervousness, etc. And all dogs have the risk of letting those behaviors turn into undesirable habits. Giselle, fortunately, didn't *need* a lot of training, but I gave it to her anyways, and she lived a very enriched life.

Oh lord... someone forgot to give my dogs the memo! They really did require LOTS of training. I joke that with all the time, energy, and effort we've put into training, I would have a seeing eye dogs by now had they not been greyhounds :)

Just my thought - but if you just got the pup last weekend - I personally wouldn't stress too much about it. With a brand new dog, you're going to have bigger issues to deal with. I'd just pull away. I don't like being licked in the face, and I've had a few dogs that really liked doing that, but me just turning away enough times made them think that wasn't rewarding and they stopped trying pretty quickly. I didn't "correct" it - I just reacted to it.

I'm guessing a lot of it is nervousness, trying to please, affection, and a bit of submission. None of those are bad things, and the dog is expressing the way it knows how. You won't know if this is an "issue" behavior for a while - it might just go away once the dog settes in and feels at home. Focus on the important things. A lot of stuff that greys do at first in a new home is just "feeling it out". Pick your battles. Focus on the big ones.

My Diana to this day will lick my hand once in a while if we're in publc and she gets a little nervous. Just a little "Hey - I'm here - oh good - you're here - we're OK" thing. I'm sure it seems like a lot in your pup right now - but I bet it WILL tone done on its own.

I totally respect that this is not a behavior you want to continue - I wouldn't either - but IMHO - I'll bet it will resolve itself. Relax - you have quite a road ahead of you. Enjoy it!!!

Guest chigal950
.. IMHO - I'll bet it will resolve itself. Relax - you have quite a road ahead of you. Enjoy it!!!

Indeed. Thanks. :) Today we worked on her learning her name and "come" command, and a little away/crateless training. And it really IS enjoyable. Watching her check out her image in the full length mirror today was priceless. :D

Kissing sounds cute but I always take into consideration how anything my Annie does affects other people. I want a polite dog who is welcomed by others. Personally, I'm not big on being kissed by a dog. I put it in the same category as a dog who jumps. I find it annoying. Others don't mind, but I rather err on the side of caution and discourage it rather than encourage it.

I agree with this statement. I HATE when a dog licks me and especially one that I don't know. Luckily Ruby is not a licker and never has been. I applaud you for wanting to curb this behavior before it gets out of hand.

Karen

It's a very juvenile behavior. As you noted, it happens most when she's excited so why don't you teach her a different behavior to perform instead of licking you? For example, teach her to grab a toy and you can play tug with her instead. Or you can teach her to spin. Or teach her to "Back" and lie down away from you. You have infinite options :) Choose something fun and stick with it.

I don't know about "juvenile", I have an 11 yo that does that, she loves everyone and loves to give kisses. Personally I am not a fan, but lots of people think it's cute, including my mail man, I am always apologizing, try to discourage it, and the other day she nearly took my nose off. I think it's a personality thing, my other Grey doesn't do that....Usually I tell her to go and lie down, and she will, but most visitors encourage the behavior by thinking it's so cute, so it's hard to break her of it completely. I just know to hang on to her when there is likely to be an incident....

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

i feel jipped that i don't have a kisser.... I would give anythig to have any one of my babies kiss.... don't train it out of her....

I agree! My girls never kissed me that much. I love the kisses.

Just my thought - but if you just got the pup last weekend - I personally wouldn't stress too much about it. With a brand new dog, you're going to have bigger issues to deal with. I'd just pull away. I don't like being licked in the face, and I've had a few dogs that really liked doing that, but me just turning away enough times made them think that wasn't rewarding and they stopped trying pretty quickly. I didn't "correct" it - I just reacted to it.

I'm guessing a lot of it is nervousness, trying to please, affection, and a bit of submission. None of those are bad things, and the dog is expressing the way it knows how. You won't know if this is an "issue" behavior for a while - it might just go away once the dog settes in and feels at home. Focus on the important things. A lot of stuff that greys do at first in a new home is just "feeling it out". Pick your battles. Focus on the big ones.

My Diana to this day will lick my hand once in a while if we're in publc and she gets a little nervous. Just a little "Hey - I'm here - oh good - you're here - we're OK" thing. I'm sure it seems like a lot in your pup right now - but I bet it WILL tone done on its own.

I totally respect that this is not a behavior you want to continue - I wouldn't either - but IMHO - I'll bet it will resolve itself. Relax - you have quite a road ahead of you. Enjoy it!!!

Great post.

Guest Jacks_Human
I agree with this. We can tell Henry, "I want a kiss!!" and he does it on command. Otherwise, he never does it. Good luck :)

Yes, I taught Jack 'give kissies!' and he'll touch the tip of his nose to mine. I flat out discouraged licking by pulling away, and he caught on quite quickly (when I first got him, he'd want to lick my chin all the time), although I'll let him 'groom'/nit the back of my hand sometimes when we're watching TV.