Dogsitting Other Greys- Any Advice?

We got our first greyhound in July. He is very very shy and scared with unfamiliar people and dogs, but absolutely flourishes with other greys around. He is 2.5 years and is a bundle of energy in our home now, as long as it is just my husband and I present.

We are going to have two older female greyhounds stay with us for a few days at the end of December. One is also extremely shy, while the other is more dominant and extroverted. We live in a small (750 sq. ft.) house with a very small backyard. Boo has never had any other greyhounds at 'his' house, and therefore we are wondering...

Does anyone have any tips about bringing new dogs into a home? Should we muzzle them all at first, even when they are inside, or is that overkill? Is it okay to let bones/toys be available or will that invite conflict?

Any tips at all about bringing new greys into a home are appreciated.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Pick up any bones that night cause any issues. Better safe than sorry ;-) Get a few extra dog beds and baby gates if needed. You'll want to separate the two households somehow when you leave the house. Make sure you love on your boy so he doesn't feel replaced. Use muzzles until you're comfortable with the interactions. The shy pup you have coming might prefer a crate, and your boy might try to steal that... Might be good to set up two! LOL

Feed lots of cookies that can be gulped in one bite. If they take it and chew somewhere you run the risk of someone thinking they can steal a cookie from someone else and you might have instant pup fight. If course this visit will probably be easier than we are guessing. Most importantly have fun!

My two are very used to visitors. So they are used to other dogs without the same manners as them... They just look at me to fix the new dog. LOL of course all our greyhound friends have impeccable manners so I bet you'll have zero issues. Oh and muzzle in the yard 100 percent of the time. Totally not worth the risk there.... They get compressive within an instant when running and a play snap can tear open a greyhound.

------

Jessica

I greysit often. and BY experience, ALWAYS muzzle for at least an hour to see how they are with each other. once everyone settles down, take muzzle off your hound first.

always muzzle at night if you dont crate.

I would put bones away until your guests leave.

Make sure you are in observation mode while they are outside

if your boy is just not liking it, THERE is no harm in keeping his muzzle on him . he will adjust it just may take time

send me a message if you have other questions!

good luck

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

Always a good idea to separate during meal time. If one of the visiting dogs comes sniffing around your pup while he's eating, you can't blame him for going after them. When my girls go on a vacation they are usually crated during meal time, or put in the yard to eat, or baby gated off by the themselves.

------

Jessica

All great advice above and it's better to be safe than sorry, especially with the combination and circumstances of hounds you'll have.

Don't be surprised though, if they all fit like a glove. My 4 hounds have never met another they haven't welcomed into our home.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I agree with what everyone else is saying and that is to err on the side of caution and be prepared to have to separate them if needed. I also have the owner write a letter (with the dates you'll have the dog) giving permission to you to have the dog treated at the vet in case of emergency and also have them provide at least 1 emergency phone number and 2 if possible. Most people put an amount that they will guarantee to pay and that above that they are to be contacted. I've never had to use it, but the first time I don't do it will be when I need it.

It really can be fun to have other pups over to visit. I've got one girlie that I fostered coming to stay over the holidays. Whenever she is here we all enjoy getting to spend time together again!

I always have the dogs meet each other out of the house, usually the driveway and go for a walk first. then they are muzzled and let loose in the yard, brought inside on leash once they get their willies out and pee, pee, and mark outside. after a cup of coffee or some quite time one at a time the dogs are allowed off lead. all toys, chewies, bones are removed and i keep a crate or two up. my dogs like their crates, so they usually go into them. i never leave my dogs loose alone w/ house guests, better safe than sorry. it becomes dog central here since our home is just a tad larger than yours.

We have a lot of relatives/friends who bring dogs over, and the first thing we always do (right out of the car) is introduce them off the property and go for a little walk together. This way it isn't a face to face "coming onto my property" thing and when they walk they are more interested in sniffing. At the same time, they are sniffing with their heads together, walking side by side, and getting comfortable and used to each other. By the time you get back home they don't even notice when they all go in the door together. :) My dogs are not aggressive, but some of the visiting dogs can be snarly so this works like a charm every time. I would definitely keep them muzzled in the house in the beginning as well, not only for their protection, but it also tends to relax the humans a bit more which in turn helps the dogs. They will probably get along just great :)

Muzzle. Muzzle muzzle muzzle. A dog sitting client of mine once "forgot" to bring their muzzle. Their dog attacked my sweet, beautiful Grace (my two were muzzled, as was the foster) in the yard -the dog went right for her throat and she required emergency surgery - and to this day I do not forgive myself as it could have been prevented with a muzzle.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Muzzle. Muzzle muzzle muzzle. A dog sitting client of mine once "forgot" to bring their muzzle. Their dog attacked my sweet, beautiful Grace (my two were muzzled, as was the foster) in the yard -the dog went right for her throat and she required emergency surgery - and to this day I do not forgive myself as it could have been prevented with a muzzle.

I remember that :cry1:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

When I have new visitors we always start not with a short walk but rather a huge walk for everyone. The dogs bond and extra energy is expended.

If you have help it should be all hands on deck during mealtime.

Consider not letting all dogs into the yard at once. Maybe only two at a time and muzzles.

I like to have them meet for the first time on neutral turf, such as in the driveway or out at the street, with everyone muzzled and leashed. Once they seem OK we let them all into the back yard to get to know each other before we let them into the house. I don't take the muzzles off until I am good and sure that there is harmony. If there is any conflict, I make sure that the offending parties are separated at all times if I can't supervise. Everyone should always be muzzled turing turnouts.

Usually greyhounds take well to having fellow greyhound visitors. Most of the conflicts, if there are going to be any, occur if you have a dominant dog and one of your houseguests also turns out to be dominant. Those two you want to keep muzzled and/or separated. Riley, for example, is a megalomaniacal alpha dog who has to be in charge of everyone all of the time and likes to stand over the other dogs just to make sure they know their places. I sometimes babysit an alpha girl who really pushes his buttons. She is crated when I can't supervise, and everyone is muzzled during free play. It is worth noting that you cannot just muzzle one or a couple of dogs. If you muzzle one, muzzle all of them. Feed them as far apart as you can so nobody is intruding into another dog's personal space at meal or treat time.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I agree to muzzle in the yard at first. I always separate during mealtimes, and separate with gates while I'm at work. Also, until you know where everyone is sleeping, separating at night so them don't step on each other is important too. If you don;t think you can handle 3 on a walk, do 2 shorter walks instead.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I hound sit all the time. We always muzzle when they first come in. I have a couple of extra muzzles on hand just incase the people don't bring one. I usually try to have them meet before hand if possible. This way when they come to stay it isn't like mom/dad are just dropping them off and leave them in a strange place. I think they feel like "Oh, I have been here before and we had fun." I alway ask the rules of their home. If they can't get on the sofa at home, then the same rules at our house. Have them bring their food from home. This will help with upset tummys. I have learned not to worry if they don't eat the first night. They are in a strange place. I try to keep a can of food on hand to maybe put just a spoon full in their food if they are not eating. Either muzzle outside or let them out one at a time.

I will leave stuffies out but, not bones.

Make sure you have phone # to reach them at and a note or something for the vet just in case.

Good luck

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Thanks for all the amazing advice guys! We have set up a meeting so the dogs can meet each before, and then will definitely muzzle for the first while and when they are outside. Feeding separately is smart too, so I got a babygate... wooohoo! Thanks again!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir