Please Tell Me That I'm Not A Total Dummy

Houndless

So I adopted Tank about 3 years ago when he was 4. He came to us with very itchy ears. We took a trip to the vet and he diagnosed him with an ear infection. He was treated but it kept coming back. Over the course of a few months we kind of narrowed it down to a suspected food allergy from grains and chicken. We switched his food and he has done great. In the past mlcouple of months Tank has decided that he doesn't like to eat breakfast. No problem, we decided to make his breakfast a little more enticing by adding scrambled eggs. Here's my question, if he has a chicken allergy would he also be allergic to egs. I ask because in the past month or two he seems to very itchy and his ears are bothering him again. I'm pretty sure it's the eggs that are making him itch but I want to be sure I'm on the right track. Thanks!

You are not a total dummy. And being allergic to one doesn't mean you are allergic to the other. Try skipping the eggs for a few days and see how he does. ;)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I'd say if Tank doesn't want to eat breakfast don't make him eat breakfast. Just like people, not all dogs want to eat first thing in the morning.

One thing you might try is giving him a milkbone or such at your breakfast time then feeding him his 1/2 meals around noon and in the evening. Ditch the eggs.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Not necessarily, but it certainly could be the case that he's allergic to both. In people usually not, but that's because meat allergies are relatively rare in humans.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I think that I might have been misunderstood. We don't make him eat. He used to eat at 6:00am with my husband. Now he likes to get up at about 7:30 go potty, come back to bed, get back up at 8:30 go potty again and while I headed out the door my Dad is fixing his breakfast. By then he's ready to eat. We like spoilong him so he gets goodies in his food. I'm more worried about his ears and how itchy he is. I think we are going to stop the eggs and see how he does.

If you haven't done so, check the ingredients on your kibble and keep an eye on the ingredient list each time you buy. On the off chance that the manufacturer changed the formula, they have a fairly long time period before it has to show up on the bag. Also Red Flags should go up if all of the sudden the packaging says "New Improved Formula." They may have changed something that he is reacting to. Not saying they did, but you really have to watch for formula changes on every brand. It's a total PITA to have to watch every bag like that, but I've had it happen with 3 different foods over the last few years. Good luck!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life