Needs Dental, But Vet Won't Do W/o Dhlpp Vaccine

Guest greysmitten

Guest greysmitten

I want to scale down on the amount of vaccines my girl is getting. She is currently up to date on her rabies vaccine (on a 3 yr, was vaccinated last year). At the same time, she was given her DHLPP.

Like most vets, they sent me "the card", reminding me to bring her in for the DHLPP again this year. I've decided against it for a few years, from research that I've done.

My problem is that Azi needs a dental cleaning. She's just one of those dogs who needs it. I also want her to have a full physical and heartworm testing. My regular vets office won't do the dental procedure (or tiuch her at all) without the DHLPP and I just called another office and they won't do it either.

Does anyone have a vet who will do a dental cleaning without it? Or am I being unreasonable? Be honest, please :)

I'd be gobsmacked if a vet told me that. My dogs have been on a 3-year rotational cycle of vaccinations for 15+ years without encountering such an attitude. Also, my dogs don't get the lepto vaccine ever. It's a decision I have made based on our circumstances. Have never had lepto required anywhere, ever.

You've had two different vets do this to you. Did you ask them why? I would be curious to know the reasoning. I've not encountered such a thing in over 20 years.

My vet also suggests yearly vaccinations which I do not choose to do but has never connected that to doing a dental. I am on a three year cycle with the DHLPP.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest greysmitten

Interesting. I just called another local vets office (who told me they have many clients with alternative vaccine schedules) and they encouraged me to call my own vet back and explain again!

The difference is that I live in Canada, so dentals are about $400. My regular vet is in Michigan and dentals are $153.

Might be an infection control issue within the hospital. I'm not actually sure what our policy would be for that situation. For animals coming in to be neutered/spayed they must be up to date on all core vaccines (lepto is not core so no one will require your dog have it) and they must be worm/flea free (so on a preventive). If they are not up to date on vaccines we will still spay/neuter if the circumstances require (I recently had a kitty who had a lot of upper resp infections while she was really young so she didn't get vaccinated, and then once she was healthy before we got her in for vaccines she went into heat at only 4 months old). In those cases the animals are placed in isolation and there is an additional charge for that (it's like $30).

While the vets may not have a big issue with your choice not to keep her current on her vaccines as that is ultimately your personal choice, they do have a responsibility to be concerned about other animals in the hospital, some of whom may be at higher risk of contracting communicable diseases. Those are my thoughts, but obviously to get the absolute reason you'd need to ask those two clinics.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest greysmitten

Edit: Just to confirm things I've read ... The annual DHLPP is no different than the 3 year, correct? It's just timing?

Might be an infection control issue within the hospital. I'm not actually sure what our policy would be for that situation. For animals coming in to be neutered/spayed they must be up to date on all core vaccines (lepto is not core so no one will require your dog have it) and they must be worm/flea free (so on a preventive). If they are not up to date on vaccines we will still spay/neuter if the circumstances require (I recently had a kitty who had a lot of upper resp infections while she was really young so she didn't get vaccinated, and then once she was healthy before we got her in for vaccines she went into heat at only 4 months old). In those cases the animals are placed in isolation and there is an additional charge for that (it's like $30).

While the vets may not have a big issue with your choice not to keep her current on her vaccines as that is ultimately your personal choice, they do have a responsibility to be concerned about other animals in the hospital, some of whom may be at higher risk of contracting communicable diseases. Those are my thoughts, but obviously to get the absolute reason you'd need to ask those two clinics.

Yes. I believe this is their stance on it. I guess there is no way around it in that case, right?

Guest JMinAugustaGA

The vet I use for my greyhounds is Dr. Gradous, very well known in the Augusta, GA, area. On the Pet Health Record from a while back, he says this: "Although some of my colleagues will probably disagree, routine yearly vaccination for the diseases of distemper, hepatitis, corona, and parvo after the first year of life is probably not needed and may in time be proven unhealthy. Triannual revaccination is probably more than adequate."

Guest greysmitten

I just find it strange that studies show that a 3 year schedule is more than sufficient, but vets offices are concerned that my dog may be a risk to others. Does that sounds weird?

The vet I use for my greyhounds is Dr. Gradous, very well known in the Augusta, GA, area. On the Pet Health Record from a while back, he says this: "Although some of my colleagues will probably disagree, routine yearly vaccination for the diseases of distemper, hepatitis, corona, and parvo after the first year of life is probably not needed and may in time be proven unhealthy. Triannual revaccination is probably more than adequate."

Well, that's honest!

Vaccines are not an issue for neither our current vet nor the previous. Two of our dogs are no longer vaccinated and the two most recent additions will only be done again if we expect a border crossing or something. I'm surprised to hear of your dilemma - can you try other cities?

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

If they are not up to date on vaccines ...

While the vets may not have a big issue with your choice not to keep her current on her vaccines ...

Krissy, would you mind supplying your definition of "up to date" and "current"? Thanks.

Just for the record my dogs get a DAP vaccine not DHLPP or DHPP. This particular DAP vaccine is officially a 3 year vaccine. So vaccinating once every 3 years is being up to date. I had not heard of this vaccine. It was my vet who suggested I use it.

I only do rabies after the initial vaccinations, Jead Dodd's Vaccine schedule. Will the vet accept a titer for proof of vaccination? I thought distempter was moved to ever 3 yrs a while ago? If your vet is that out of date to normal practices it may be time to switch

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

I do only rabies around 9 years old with my vets blessing. Bella and Poodle have both stayed there overnight several times with no issue.

When Poodle had his dental last month They told me to call around 5 and see how he was doing. He was a bit like a drunken sailor, but he came home the evening of his dental...of course I could carry him.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I'd be annoyed if a vet wouldn't accept a 3 year schedule, but if the dog didn't have a history of vaccine reactions and I trusted the vet to do the dental, I wouldn't have a huge problem vaccinating again. Not worth losing sleep over IMHO.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Interesting. I just called another local vets office (who told me they have many clients with alternative vaccine schedules) and they encouraged me to call my own vet back and explain again!

The difference is that I live in Canada, so dentals are about $400. My regular vet is in Michigan and dentals are $153.

Wow. I have never left the vet after George's annual checkup having spent less than $200! A dental, with no extractions, is probably a minimum $400+. I paid almost $700 for my cat (he had a lot of teeth pulled).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Would the vet substitute doing a titer to check vaccine levels? I haven't given Beth the basic vaccine for several years now, but I do titer her annually. I want to be 100% sure for myself, and I want to be able to officially list her as up to date.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Sorry, not much advice here, but how far are you from Simcoe (probably far, since your profile says Northern On.). There is a vet office there (Queensway Veterinary) that a lot of grey people use because they charge very reasonable dental prices (around $200 I think). Maybe if you search around you will find something...my vet here is an advocate of the 3 year shot and is fine with that. There is the whole liability thing though, which is probably where the issue arises from.

Guest greysmitten

Thanks everyone. I'm going to shop around until i find "the" vet, but probably in MI because of the price difference. Being a border town has its perks!

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable ... Some receptionists have been incredulous to my request.

Sorry, not much advice here, but how far are you from Simcoe (probably far, since your profile says Northern On.). There is a vet office there (Queensway Veterinary) that a lot of grey people use because they charge very reasonable dental prices (around $200 I think). Maybe if you search around you will find something...my vet here is an advocate of the 3 year shot and is fine with that. There is the whole liability thing though, which is probably where the issue arises from.

Oh, yes! Quite far. I think most dog owners here still accept the annual tradition, so it doesn't surprise me that vets here may not have moved on from that just yet.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable ... Some receptionists have been incredulous to my request.

Is it the staff or the vet himself/herself that is telling you you must have the vaccines before they will do the dental? The reason I ask is because the staff at my vet's office insisted the same thing, however when I brought it up on another visit my vet was fine with doing the dental without the vaccines.

Guest greysmitten

Is it the staff or the vet himself/herself that is telling you you must have the vaccines before they will do the dental? The reason I ask is because the staff at my vet's office insisted the same thing, however when I brought it up on another visit my vet was fine with doing the dental without the vaccines.

Yes, it was the front desk staff over the phone. The young girl at my regular vet seemed quite apprehensive about answers, but put me on hold to check the policy. Hm.

I find that totally bizarre. Summer's vet was more than happy to administer her vaccination shot (what they call a DA2PP) and then certify it for 3 years. And that's up north in Barrie, not the most forward thinking place but still, I guess, within the GTA. Guess that might be making the difference.

How bad are the teeth? If they aren't very dirty, check and see if anyone i your area does it without an anesthetic. Summer just had hers done at a groomer in Barrie and anesthetic free! The lady trained in the US and did a LOT of greyhounds -- she trained/worked with a greyhound rescue. $80.00. But if you need extractions, etc., then this isn't the choice for you.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest greysmitten

I find that totally bizarre. Summer's vet was more than happy to administer her vaccination shot (what they call a DA2PP) and then certify it for 3 years. And that's up north in Barrie, not the most forward thinking place but still, I guess, within the GTA. Guess that might be making the difference.

How bad are the teeth? If they aren't very dirty, check and see if anyone i your area does it without an anesthetic. Summer just had hers done at a groomer in Barrie and anesthetic free! The lady trained in the US and did a LOT of greyhounds -- she trained/worked with a greyhound rescue. $80.00. But if you need extractions, etc., then this isn't the choice for you.

Hey, that sounds like it may be an option! She doesn't need extractions, just a good scaling. Thanks!