Are Cherry Trees Dangerous To Greys ?

Guest undergreysspell

Guest undergreysspell

I have 5 acres of mostly pine trees and grass that I keep mowed and clean of branches so the dogs can run and explore . There are also a few wild black cherry and cherry laurels that I have kept because the squirrels and birds love to eat the fruit. I am new to having greyhounds and because of the way my girl loves to graze, it concerns me that she might eat the fruit or leaves. The pits and leaves contain a poison that is toxic to cows and horses especially . Does anyone have these trees and do you know of any dogs that have been poisoned by these trees ? I am considering cutting them all down, but since the other wildlife benefits from them I don't want to unless they aren't safe for the dogs. I can't watch them every second when they're out in the yard and might miss them munching on some of the fallen fruit. Anyone have these trees ?

The fruit -minus the pit - is OK, but you really don't want them to eat a lot of whole fruits. The pits can be toxic though I'm not sure in what quantity.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

the leaves are chock full of cyanide compounds. so are the inside of the pits. in some cherry species, the fruit is also contaminated until it is ripe. the cherry plant evolved to allow animals to eat the fruit after the seed is developed and to distribute the pits/seeds in their poo. apparently the poisonous parts are quite bitter & it's unlikely they are eaten on purpose, unless you have a wierd doggie.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Cherry laurel fruits are toxic for humans, I believe.

However, your dogs may not even be interested in the fruits and leaves - can you watch them out there and see? It seems to be a matter for the individual. My Doc completely ignores all the wild plums currently scattered all over the grass in the park down the road - but I know some of the other local dogs will gorge on them given the chance.

If your dogs do prove to be interested, could you just block the trees off from them at fruiting time? It seems a pity to have to cut down nice mature trees, especially if they are appreciated by the local wildlife!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Grew up on a farm. Was always told wild cherry trees were poison and would kill the horses and cattle and they're considerably bigger than a dog. Maybe you could ask an agronomy expert at your state univeristy. Really wouldn't trust anybody else to know for sure and for certain.

Horses & cattle, as grazing animals, are far more likely to ingest toxic doses of the cherry leaves. Dogs are unlikely to ingest more than a bit of a leave due to taste though of course there could be an exception. The fruit may be a different story. The meat of the fruit itself may not be toxic but a dog is ingesting the pit as well. Assuming the dog hasn't bitten into the pit & its exterior doesn't breakdown in the digestive tract then it shouldn't be a problem. I would worry though if a dog was out eating lots of fruit off the ground.

Could you put temporary fencing around the trees at least at the more dangerous time of year?

Guest undergreysspell

temp fencing won't work...trees are way too big and spread out here and there on the property . One 20-25 ft cherry laurel and at least four 25-40 ft wild black cherries .

If you can't block access to the area where the trees are (such as with T-posts and snow fencing), then a muzzle with a poop cup should do the trick.

If management can resolve the problem that would be a heck of a lot better than cutting down the trees. I could see them possibly eating the fruit if they tried it and decided they liked it, but I doubt they'll eat the leaves. That's mostly a problem for livestock because they pick up leaves--usually unintentionally--while they are grazing. Maple trees are problematic for the same reason. But with the exception of occasional grass-eating, greyhounds don't spend their days grazing under trees. I have cherry trees in my yard and I've never had any kind of problem. Mine haven't even tried to eat the fruit but I would muzzle them if I saw them do it.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

As a side note... In college my roommie had a dog and we had a plum tree in the back. Although the fruit wasn't toxic to the dog, the after effects were toxic to the air in our little house. Bad!

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)