Nadir Could Really Use A Break About Now

4My2Greys

If It's Not One Thing It's Another

We had about 2 good years with no peeing issues after finding out that rice was causing his problems before the incontinence started again this past November. Because food had been an issue with this in the past I immediately started with an elimination diet to determine what was causing this sudden recurrence of this problem. So after a few months I figure out fish is the problem. So I switch him to beef and only beef, nothing else added to his diet. Problem clears up for about 6 weeks only to start again. Because the recent resurgence of his problem was caused by fish and then beef I'm thinking proteins are the issue. So starts the slew of foods I go through trying to figure it out. We tried Blue Buffalo Grain-free Chicken, Blue Buffalo Basics grain-free Turkey and Potato, Nature's Recipe grain-free Chicken, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin, Nutro Natural Choice Grain-free Lamb & Potato and Turkey & Potato, Nutrisca Lamb and Chickpea, Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Turkey, Pure Vita's Grain-free Turkey, Bison & Sweet Potato and Duck and Oatmeal, and then several different varieties of Honest Kitchen, The problem would resolve for a little while only to start again. What's funny is that with all these food changes I put him through and his past stomach problems we didn't really have any bad issues there, save for some less than desirable poops. I should mention that Nadir was also being seen by my vet who was working with me trying to figure out what was causing his problem. I also want to mention that having to clean up after him was not the problem, it was that this problem was causing him obvious distress and he was not feeling well. Then about the beginning of July I notice that a slight limp he had had was getting worse. I didn't panic and think Osteo, but I did think about problems others here on GT had had with spinal issues causing incontinence. I especially thought of George and what Susan finally figured out that resolved his problem, which was keeping him on an nsaid and gabapentin. So I make another appointment with the vet, had to see another because our regular vet was on vacation. I give her Nadir's history and tell her I think its one of two things, he's either becoming intolerant to all proteins and if so I want to try ZD or its a nerve problem clued by the limp and weakness in his rear end and for this I want to try Gabepentin. She had never prescribed it before, she knew about its use in humans, but was unfamiliar with its application in veterinary medicine. I explained to her how it was being used so she looked up some information on dosing and gave me a prescription for it. Miracle of miracles after about 3 days on Gabapentin the problem goes away and I also find a food, California Natural Grain-free Venison Meal, that produces poops in all my crew that would have many of you green with envy. Life is finally good for about 6 weeks and the peeing starts again so this time I see about seeing if intolerance to protein is an issue so I ask for prescription ZD. BIG MISTAKE. Now not only does he have incontinence issues the ZD has caused a bout of very runny diarrhea, gurgly stomach and him not wanting to eat anything. I get him started on Flagyl and Sucralfate and end up force feeding him oatmeal with Manuka honey mixed in. I finally get his stomach settled and decide to increase the Gabapentin dosage. He had been taking 100 mg

twice a day and I talk to my vet about increasing to 200mg. Well the peeing stops once again and except for his system being screwed up by the ZD and his poops being less than desirable even after Flagyl life is fairly good once again. Finally, about a week ago, he start producing good bowel movements again, but I notice he still is bothered by a limp and he always wants to cut his walks short so I stupidly decide to put him on a supplement that has Glucosamine and Chondroitin even though I've made mention in other threads that it has caused him stomach problems in the past. I thought maybe I was mistaken and if I start slowly with it all will be well. NOT! Last night he refused to eat and this morning he's got stomach grumbling that could wake the dead. I gave him some Acid-Ease early this morning and ended up force feeding him oatmeal with Manuka honey mixed in. His stomach has finally quieted down. Why, oh why, oh why after things were going fairly

well did I try something that had given him problems in the past???????

Edited by 4My2Greys

Because you love him? Because you are trying your best to make his life more comfortable?

Can he take an nsaid as well? It is my understand that Gabapentin & regular nsaids work in 2 entirely different ways.

Perhaps the Gabapentin for back/urinary issues & an nsaid for the limp?

Hoping for a break for Nadir (and you).

****oops****just went back to reread op & saw that he is on nsaid.......

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Because you love him? Because you are trying your best to make his life more comfortable?

Can he take an nsaid as well? It is my understand that Gabapentin & regular nsaids work in 2 entirely different ways.

Perhaps the Gabapentin for back/urinary issues & an nsaid for the limp?

Hoping for a break for Nadir (and you).

****oops****just went back to reread op & saw that he is on nsaid.......

That was George that was on the Nsaids. Nsaids are what caused Nadir's original stomach issues, I suspect ulcers, in the past so he can't be put on them long term.

I'm so sorry! So the next time you get the urge to meddle, just come here and we'll all tell you "JUST SAY NO!!!!" ;)

Hope you can get him back on track soon. :kiss2

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Could you maybe try a different NSAID, and give it with Prilosec? A few of mine don't tolerate Rimadyl but do fine with Deramaxx...Pinky takes daily without issues as well.

Hope he's back on an even keel soon!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Could you maybe try a different NSAID, and give it with Prilosec? A few of mine don't tolerate Rimadyl but do fine with Deramaxx...Pinky takes daily without issues as well.

Deramaxx is out of production and is virtually impossible to find.

Poor George. Off his Deramaxx for his 7 day "NSAID washout" period this week. Even reducing his dose makes him pee--so I am not expecting a very happy week for either of us! He starts on Rimadyl on Friday--but until then, all we can do is think dry thoughts!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Woops! Meant to say Pinky takes Piroxicam daily.

Deramaxx is out of production???? Why???

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Just did some Googling...wow, that's cruddy. I have never liked Rimadyl. I'll need to do some research to determine the next best thing to Deramaxx.

I'm really too afraid to try any nsaids long term after the problems that they have caused him. I will give them cautiously short-term, but never long-term again.

I gave him Enzymatic Acid-Ease Saturday night and yesterday and this stuff really worked wonders. I had to force feed him yesterday morning and early evening, but by late evening he was wanting his regular kibble. His bowel movement this morning started out not formed to start, but towards the finish actually held some shape. When his stomach got messed up by the ZD it took a week of Flagyl and Sucralfate to get where his poop wasn't liquid.

Ah, Judy, I feel so bad for you and Nadir! I wish I had some advice, but you have done and tried WAY more than I would ever be able to think of. And in answer to your question, I would echo what DesiRayMom said. Because you love him! Because you are trying your best to make his life more comfortable! If there is one thing that is crystal clear amongst your unanswered questions, it is that. I so wish I could make him all better. :beatheart

Nadir, sweetie, your Mom loves you so much and so do we. We will be sending lots of prayers and good thoughts out to you.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown