Plain Yoghurt

Guest AceyGrey

Guest AceyGrey

Hi guys,

Does plain yoghurt ease/help with the dreaded greyhound farts?

I have heard such things but wanted to ask people who may have had experience.

Thanks

I think it helps for some. It made Segugio's poop very, very bad.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

It has helped with the gas for mine. And I always get yogurt when I get a new foster. They are so stressed and the bacteria in the yogurt helps with the intestinal flora..But you have to be careful, you give them too much and it's runny poo. I usually give mine a couple of tablespoons. One in the morning and one in the late afternoon.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest AceyGrey

It has helped with the gas for mine. And I always get yogurt when I get a new foster. They are so stressed and the bacteria in the yogurt helps with the intestinal flora..But you have to be careful, you give them too much and it's runny poo. I usually give mine a couple of tablespoons. One in the morning and one in the late afternoon.

And do you just mix that into their dry food?

If they need an infusion of probiotics, it helps. If that isn't the source of the problem, it won't help. :)

On the plus side, most of them lovelovelove yogurt and other dairy products. I freeze plain lowfat Greek yogurt (less runny) in Beth's Kong instead of peanut butter -- she needs a lower fat diet -- and she still comes running to her crate for it. I also use a spoonful of yogurt in her bowl at night to get her up for her final pee outing -- she is very conditioned to the sound of the spoon on the rim!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest team_tonio

Tony gets a tablespoon with both meals, mixed in his food. For him it does wonders... he very rarely has gas.

I also freeze it in his kong but I like to mix it with a little peanut butter or banana... yum :)

Ours get two tablespoons, or dollops, a day mixed in with their dry food. They also get it in their kongs mixed with more dried food (taking calories out of their other meals to balance things obviously). They love it, and I've also used it to coat worming tablets and antibiotics. I think it does help.

It's seemed to help my girl, too. Very gassy when she first came home -- yikes! -- but the yogurt seems to work. Like the others, I add a spoonful to each meal and mix it up. She licks it up before going to town on the kibble.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest fluteplayer67

My grey only likes it off the spoon. He wanted nothing to do with it mixed into his food. I give him one tablespoon midmorning. It seems to be helping with the overpowering gas but his poops are still pretty soft.

You can try pumpkin also. 100% canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix. Yogurt can make it worse if they are lactose intolarent.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest DylanGospel

I have been giving mine plain yogurt as a treat every day since I adopted them six years ago. They look forward to it, and the dreaded GG (Greyhound Gas) is rarely expressed around here! :hehe

I also give them fresh or canned sweet potato mixed in with their evening TOW kibble and fresh meat meal. Each dog is different, but this food/treat regimen really works for us...

I too am a big fan of sweet potatoes as a add-in. I've given it to several hounds and they all seem to do great with it. The yogurt seems to be only a temporary fix to mask a disagreement with their food. And one of mine hates it :flip , and the other would eat the whole container. :chow They do like it as a popsicle though with peanut butter, banana and a chicken foot inside :hehe

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest dartgtlb

I used to give both my greys yogurt, but have found kefir (kind of a liquid yogurt) works even better at keeping the gas down. Since the kefir in the grocery store is quite pricey, I got some of the kefir "grains" from amazon and make my own with fresh milk. I give them about 1/4 on their breakfast each day. They love it.

Guest undergreysspell

Mine won't eat regular yogurt but loves frozen .I buy TCBY vanilla , it has probiotics and put a teaspoon on top of her food in the morning .No gas problems since.

Another option for dogs not doing well on yogurt/lactose is kefir. It is similar to yogurt but supposedly has a much higher number, as well as a greater variety of probiotics. The bacteria in it actually eat away a lot of the sugar (lactose) so people who are lactose intolerant can often take it, and it could be beneficial for dogs as I don't think their capability for digesting lactose is all that great.

The only problem is it is often flavoured, so you have to check for sugar/artificial sweeteners. A lot of people make it themselves by mixing granules with milk which is supposed to have a higher number of probiotics than store bought.

Guest AceyGrey

Ace loves the yoghurt, we've only tried it the last two days and he seems to be okay on it in terms of poo and the gas has subsided.

I think we'll defintiely use this in his Kong.

The sweet potato sounds a good thing to try though especially after reading about dogs and dairy and it only masking the problem.

Thanks for all of your help